Cycling a tank: shrimp method VS damsel method.

Which method have you used?

• Damselfish.

• Shrimp.

• Other. (Explain how)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference in the shrimp VS damsel methods when it comes to cycling a tank. Some people put a bit of shrimp in for 3 days to get the ammonia started and some put 1-2 damselfish to get the cycle started. What’s the best method? Is one faster than the other? What have you had a good experience with? Which would you recommend? Pros VS Cons? Thanks.

MikeIkerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t think you should ever cycle with live fish. It’s cruel to the fish and you may not be able to get the damsel out of your tank after it is cycled without having to break apart your scape. There’s no reason to cycle with fish when you can use bottled bacteria and a shrimp or pure ammonia.

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference in the shrimp VS damsel methods when it comes to cycling a tank. Some people put a bit of shrimp in for 3 days to get the ammonia started and some put 1-2 damselfish to get the cycle started. What’s the best method? Is one faster than the other? What have you had a good experience with? Which would you recommend? Pros VS Cons? Thanks.
The major con of the damsel method is subjecting a live animal to the conditions of a cycling tank. Many people have had success with the shrimp method, but with so many accelerated cycle bacteria in a bottle products why no go that route?

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use fresh water mollies to cycle my tank. Advantages are: They are cheap, they are fairly colorful with color orange, black, or white, they are hardy, they are easy to catch if you do not want them anymore, and they are great algea munchers.

Oh, and do not forget to get a bottle of Brightwell XML to do the cycling.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never put a fish into an uncycled tank. I have put fish into new tanks after testing shows the biofilter has started with a piece shrimp. How long that takes depends on what you start with.

You have to understand what your test kits are telling you. If you don't you are playing with something living in a cruel way.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2020 there is no reason to subject fish to potential harm/cruelty by cycling a tank with it.

You can use the rotting shrimp method if you prefer, or you can do an instant cycle with one of the bacteria in a bottle products.

Ive just cycled a 2000 litre system with 5 large bottles of ATM Colony and 30 Fish went in the same day. Cycle done, and all are happy healthy fish.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cons with damsels is trying to catch them in a tank full of rocks.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2020 there is no reason to subject fish to potential harm/cruelty by cycling a tank with it.

You can use the rotting shrimp method if you prefer, or you can do an instant cycle with one of the bacteria in a bottle products.

Ive just cycled a 2000 litre system with 5 large bottles of ATM Colony and 30 Fish went in the same day. Cycle done, and all are happy healthy fish.

no offense

you cant do this either unless you know what you are doing.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local store only had Farm raised shrimp. So I bought Lobster instead, worked well.
I’ve heard of people using pure Ammonia also.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear household ammonia (no scents or surfactants), dose to 3ppm and add bottled bacteria of choice. Test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels after a week or so to make sure things have started. When ammonia gets to 0, dose again to 2ppm. You know things have done the initial cycle when you can process 2ppm ammonia all the way to Nitrate in less than 48 hours.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never properly cycled a tank. Just add livestock very slowly.

And the tank sits with at least some live rock for a while before that.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS started me with a Damsel pair. I regret doing it instead of going a different route since both of them killed each other for space under the rock. Would do liquid ammonia and a bottle of bacterial starter the next time I need to cycle a tank.

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of bacteria starters in a bottle. The newest one is microbactor xlm. Supposed to cycle in a week. No fish please. It’s not right.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never use a fish... too cruel. I started with a shrimp in mine but the tank was near where I watch TV and the smell was really bad so I used liquid ammonia. From now on I will use liquid ammonia, it’s easy, doesn’t smell and saves time not having to wait for the shrimp to breakdown.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back