Cycling advice

stacey1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some advice.
To cut a very long story short, I am now on day 34 of cycling a fluval evo.
Ammonia and nitrite levels are dropping as they should, the problem is they are still taking around 2 days to drop to zero rather than 24 hours.
I have dosed ammonia a total of about 4 times now once my readings were at zero but its just not taking the recommended 24 hours to drop.
How much longer will this go on for? I'm starting to get very impatient lol.
Any advice?

OP
OP
S

stacey1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm using caribsea life rock, and caribsea figi pink sand. I used dr tims one and only when I first started the tank but havnt added anything since.
I've just ordered a bottle of fritz zyme 9 as a last resort to see if that will give it the boost it needs. I just don't understand lol.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say your ammonia and nitrites drop have you tested for nitrates?? You have well and truly cycled this and at day 34 that more than enough,no doubt you would off been ready at day 10-15. What test kits are you using? If using API I could almost say you will be getting false readings on your ammonia.

OP
OP
S

stacey1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes nitrates are around 40ppm using api. The thing is, my ammonia and nitrites do go down to zero, it's just taking longer than 24 hours to do so. That's what I'm confused about. It takes around 2 days.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done a waterchange? Do a 50% or more water change and add invertebrates snails ect you are cycled as per reached number of days as per dr tims.

OP
OP
S

stacey1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I do a big water change, does it have to be invertebrates I add? I was planing on adding fish before cuc. Would it make a difference which way around I add them?

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. What fish choose something hardy to begin with. Maybe se clownfish if you were wanting to. But you will need to start the CUC also.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s your tester taking two days, not the actual cycle. A good tester, seneye, shows ammonia controlled in all reefs in five mins, you’re all done here can reef

OP
OP
S

stacey1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. I was planing on adding 2 clownfish then waiting to see if algea starts before adding cuc. I dont have any in the tank at the minute as the lights have been off. Got a feeling that won't last long once they are on lol.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over 34days you will have some already growing.. add a handful now and it will keep them busy. Happy reefing now. Make sure you do a build thread

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes nitrates are around 40ppm using api. The thing is, my ammonia and nitrites do go down to zero, it's just taking longer than 24 hours to do so. That's what I'm confused about. It takes around 2 days.
To be fair, we did find that likely the amount of ammonia produced a day even in a fully stocked tank is probably closer to 1ppm a day anyways. But it is a bit of a concern that after so long it still can't hit 2ppm a day, that should already be possible. So on one side, it is safe to add fish already. On the other, if you want to resolve this issue permanently, it's probably not a bad idea either. Let's see if I can help.

Can I ask how many pounds of live rock do you have?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back