Cycling an Aquarium

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

check that example out of going from cured rocks to dry. we use that post to show how we can cycle tanks free by merely running reef water from another tank over dry rocks...no nitrite considered. ammonia control proven

but in your case it shows the expected uglies that comes with highly reflective new curing rock. a real test, them uglies

right now on youtube there are claims made from MACNA speakers that reef water does not contain cycling bacteria

so what do folks do with that info? Assume they must buy it from a bottle.
doubts lead to reinforcement buys.

Right there above we show reef water has tons of cycling bacteria in it. millions of transferable colonies, free. that second reef above was cycled in 20 days by only having reef water from another tank in it, no feed and no bottle bac. one of the most important microbiology threads avail, along with the one that proves reefs self cycle fully in 60 days or less by giving only water and time, no bottle bac NO feed.

we now have proof threads to undo most all previous claims about cycling, and we make new ones every day. fun rules shaping-- big $$ on the line. if any of these reefs ever crash the hobby will never trust new cycling science. so far, no crashes not a single one.

Last edited:

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like ammonia, nitrite can be toxic and harmful to marine animals even at lower levels

It is my personal belief that nitrite has very little impact in saltwater vs freshwater

Just curious - Are you saying nitrITE IS toxic in saltwater or IS NOT toxic in saltwater? Top quote makes me think your saying it is but then bottom kind of says it isnt.

I think it was an article by Randy Holmes-Farley that explained about NitrITE not being toxic in the saltwater environment unless recorded at extrmeely high values.

Just curious, whilst reading the thread.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

check that example out of going from cured rocks to dry. we use that post to show how we can cycle tanks free by merely running reef water from another tank over dry rocks...no nitrite used notice. ammonia control proven
I will check it out. So if I do a big water change, 25-30 gal, before the new tank arrives, and save that water by using a powerhead and heater if needed (my house keeps brutes at 80 degrees in the summer), then I can use this water to help fill the new tank as well as all the new I'll have to make up

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats an option but moving the 20 pounds or more of rocks replaces that need by providing a skip cycle, it wouldnt matter what kind of water you used. on that example above we used zero live rock in the new setup, and were testing if we could get cycling bac in ways that were free vs buying it from bottle

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree though that any old tank water used carries in nice insulation bacteria for the job :)

am used to trying to start with the leanest amount of starting bac to test cycling proofs and to show they're trustworthy lol

there's no need to go so thin of bac on your job considering that easy source of boost water, plus its preventing waste anyway as I assume there's nothing wrong with your current water.

moving over several gallons of that old water plus the live rocks is darn prudent, heck I would. and not because I doubt the rocks

in the very least we've uncovered another plan that can avoid having to pay for extra bac from a bottle

Last edited:

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I have a good plan in place! Will I add bottle bac? Probably lol's. But at least now I have confidence that this will go smoothly. At least until tank uglies... Hoping I can skip that part lol's

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I have a good plan in place! Will I add bottle bac? Probably lol's. But at least now I have confidence that this will go smoothly.
Yeah that's fair enough for peace of mind. ^_^

If you are gonna do it, I'd suggest going for the best and dosing FritzZyme TurboStart 900.

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hallmark impact of waiting for nitrite compliance means no projected start date. open-ended wait. it also implies that the only test kit we have for the param in the hobby, API, is automatically right this time

OMG this is so true. I've been setting up a new RSR 350 and placing all the fish in QT. Waiting for nitrite to be 0 has been killing me. Ammonia drops rapidly but nitrites LINGER for weeks it seems. I've tried biospira/Dr. Tim/Fritz all do the same thing (had several Duds from Dr. tim BTW, that was fun)

I've chronicled my QT efforts here...suffice to say, instant cycling with bottled bacteria takes about 3 weeks if you want 0 nitrites. I've been through this 3 times now.

Also I use Salifert Test kit for nitrite.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just curious - Are you saying nitrITE IS toxic in saltwater or IS NOT toxic in saltwater? Top quote makes me think your saying it is but then bottom kind of says it isnt.

I think it was an article by Randy Holmes-Farley that explained about NitrITE not being toxic in the saltwater environment unless recorded at extrmeely high values.

NOT toxic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You know what I think makes an important proof for claims: take any tuned seneye post that tracks out a brand new tank cycling with fish and bottle bac, zero wait. They all go in at once.

that seneye shows total control day 1 to day 200 for ammonia, nitrite was never factored. search 'em lemme know if we see different results. In other words a zero wait time is optional, and ethical, so why wait a month or two / we paid for the quick start? by waiting out two months, we didnt even need any bottle bac or feed the systems will self-cycle free of charge.

dont get skunked by paying for bottle bac, then waiting out the timeframe for an unassisted cycle. its completely counterproductive.
Waiting out is the biggest misconception, and thinking of those who have waited 6 or more weeks to add anything

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Risk thanks for posting

quarantines can be interesting skews since they're low surface area by design, but if you're using the typical arrangement anyone would be using in a qt then we know by pattern that setup is destined to carry fish we can see as well... its all very linked and predictable. controlling ammonia will be the same there as a full blown rocks and sand reef, same timing, just fewer attachment points and by that extension finite fish carry.

if you dump in a bottle of bac from any common cycling source, two pinches of feed for initial setup, bac will adhere to the surfaces in about three days or less (Dr Reefs bottle bac thread) immune to full water changes, which is a very quick cycle. you can then change out the cycling water for fresh new, and the biolayer filter will be adhere into place for water ready for dosing meds.

***if someone enjoys the chemistry of full measure, or likes altering params for their unique plan, test for nitrite as that's not a big deal. enjoy your chemistry if you like it< I can understand the appeal. merely relaying nitrite rules for anyone interested in start dates vs chemistry, that's a nice way to regard the different approaches in my opinion.

I'm aware folks have tested out dead bottle bac before, bad shipping etc. Its just never happened in a single cycle Ive ever ran so we don't consider that possibility much. I think anyone selling water bac in water would have an equal chance of successfully selling me a puppy dog while we're breathing air and standing on the ground. those are some mighty likely transfers that will happen.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pertinent case study from our friends at reefcentral

look how long he was held up on nitrite, two months past his allotted start date. he mentions the key terms of able to reduce ammonia, he gets doubt and re verification offers in response. this isn't to highlight anything other than absolutely common patterns we get in using forum cycles as the rule vs seller's rules which knew his tank was ready when the label on the bottle of his bac said it'd be ready, ten days or less. he was like 70 days into running during that thread...and still was unsure of an allowed/ethical start date.

the one thing missing is resolute umpiring of a start date, nobody is sure if his new 2 clowns will live or die

see how far we still have to go in the hobby? only macna entrants get the consistent start dates, forum cyclers get the wait longer. every. single. time.

watch for that pattern in all cycle stuck threads, they aren't really stuck. knowing nitrate could not have helped them there, it would have added to wait if it came up zero for any reason on the test. he'd been able to start reef weeks and weeks before posting. The hobby is unaware that patterns link our tanks, timing patterns, and his cycle didnt take any longer than anyone else's Dr Tims bottle bac cycle.

those guys won't let me post there, guess why: cycle heresy lol. I told them in 2014 that nobody's ammonia was stuck at .25/last straw

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I move the coral rocks into the new tank immediately upon set up as I need to add them to the new rockscape? Do I need to dose with the ammonia stuff? Can I do that with corals in the tank? (all softies: zoas, palys, rhodactis, gsp, hairy mushrooms) How long before I can move the fish over, or some of the fish. I want to be able to take that tank down reasonably fast.
From a fish perspective, unless you have a very large number of fish, what you are planning should be fine. For coral, this move may not go so well.
There are many other factors that come into play for the stability of a reef tank. Doing a true tank transfer with all of your old rock would probably go very well. The large amount of new rock is what can cause issues. There is no way of knowing in advance just how that rock will impact stability of your system. This is why many people recommend not putting coral in a new tank for the first 4 months. Your softies may do just fine and have a better chance at success than SPS would, but it isn't guaranteed. And adding more rock from your old system won't change this, it is all about the instability from the new rock.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nitrite IS toxic to all fish. The chlorides in salt water provide protection for the fish and keep the fish from absorbing it. For nitrite in water to harm fish the nitrite has to be high enough, or chlorides low enough, to allow a harmful level to be taken up by the fish.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve come to the certainty after watching cycling threads across forums that non prep for fish disease is the real killer, and sole issue to worry over during a cycle. Once we add water, the cycle is going to complete on a known timeframe relative to the boosters chosen (where fish can be ethically carried by the tank, not partially burned etc)

before a reef is built, we already know and can plan for the close date for the cycle, it’s timely not varied. Macna events comprise both dry start and wet rock transfer setups who always meet the start date. For any shipped ocean rock reverse cycles, plan to begin ten days after receiving the rock/curing time.

tank cycles are timely, not varying that’s key to show why we don’t have losses in our rulebreakers cycling threads. It’s why seneye doesn’t debate our findings (Yet, :) )

Ive seen zero instances where a cycle didn’t complete by its predetermined timeframe. We asked for link examples from anyone from any board regarding failed cycles and none are actually fails, they’re non digital test panics, and every time the tank carries the starting bioload. Here’s the thread asking for inputs
still looking for one single outlier. There’s one out there, but in the hunt we see a lightning strike as about as likely.

see how by omitting titration kit info and requiring dead fish as proof, all the stalled cycle claims cease?

Ive never seen the concept of dead bottle bac shown on seneye, its always api data for the claim/patterns

I’ve seen daily examples where after completing the cycle, the mixed fish added are lost to disease. We tracked out some trending in the fish disease forum and on any given day, the posts for help are by and large/ majority from tanks younger than eight months. this is the inescapable pattern noted. Test it out over next few day’s new help posts.

so we can’t find any examples of a failed cycle but we can find a thousand recent examples of fish kills by ignoring disease preps

its missing the mark to train a fear over cycle incompletion with no examples, and then omit the information that comprises nearly all fish loss examples

The forums could be outpacing the sellers for new info if they’d mind the patterns we can all see, test them out for strength vs weakness.

Fish disease preps are now the first links readers get in my cycling threads, fish disease is the most pressing shrinkage issue the hobby currently faces. we have been distracted by non digital test readings/stuck cycle fears into directly killing fish by surprise means never linked to the original cycle (two clowns added day one for example, vectors)

Last edited:

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite IS toxic to all fish. The chlorides in salt water provide protection for the fish and keep the fish from absorbing it. For nitrite in water to harm fish the nitrite has to be high enough, or chlorides low enough, to allow a harmful level to be taken up by the fish.
I guess harmful would have been a better choice of word then i reckon - I get its toxic - But is it harmful to fish in the saltwater environment, ie the everyday expected environment we keep the fish in.

Ive always assumed it isnt myself and articles like Randy's also seem to suggest in normal, everyday circumstances that nitrITE is not really worth worrying about in our tanks.

I dont actually think ive ever owned a nitrITE test kit to be honest, right or wrong, in quite a long time in the hobby.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess harmful would have been a better choice of word then i reckon - I get its toxic - But is it harmful to fish in the saltwater environment, ie the everyday expected environment we keep the fish in.

Ive always assumed it isnt myself and articles like Randy's also seem to suggest in normal, everyday circumstances that nitrITE is not really worth worrying about in our tanks.

I dont actually think ive ever owned a nitrITE test kit to be honest, right or wrong, in quite a long time in the hobby.
I don't worry about nitrite from a fish health perspective but I do recommend using a test kit during cycling. A large number of people have done unnecessary (imo) water changes to lower nitrates when their nitrates were never high to begin with. A relatively small amount of nitrite will cause a false high nitrate reading.
I would only recommend not testing for nitrite if you were not going to take any actions early in a tanks life for nitrate.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew what's your take on the hobby accepting all api nitrite data as accurate, without challenge

try and find one reported nitrite reading where anyone simply asks for validation proof of the reading, 100% acceptance as fact rate even here from the start. stated api nitrite is accepted as fact, every page

is there any chance that kit, or its preps, or its reporting levels can be misconstrued by thousands? its fill levels are still 5 mls/folks misfill daily and still report postive readings

wait time before recording the outcome

contamination by Prime use/amquel

shaking reagents correctly

all these are known issues in the other api kits

until we get side by side sample comparison threads it seems we're making the ends fit the means we have with zero proofing required?

legit patterns to inspect. make a poll about any api kit, you already know how ammonia and nitrate will go down, about 70/30 divide is the prediction (30% like, feels accurate)

but for nitrite the level of trust goes to 100%? amazing

*in counterpoint api nitrite might be the most sensitive and accurate data in reefing, but without comparison threads how can we know?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew what's your take on the hobby accepting all api nitrite data as accurate, without challenge

try and find one reported nitrite reading where anyone simply asks for validation proof of the reading, 100% acceptance as fact rate even here as I read back a few pages.

is there any chance that kit, or its preps, or its reporting levels can be misconstrued by thousands? its fill levels are still 5 mls/folks misfill daily and still report postive readings

wait time before recording the outcome

contamination by Prime use/amquel

shaking reagents correctly

all these are known issues in the other api kits

until we get side by side sample comparison threads it seems we're making the ends fit the means we have with zero proofing required?

when someone reports api nitrite to you, Ive never seen accuracy verified or requested?
I don't trust any test kit data without challenge. I consider alkalinity and calcium to be critical to know accurately. I use 3 separate test kits/systems and have a lab certified reference solution to verify them with. Since I consider nitrite to be non critical, I don't bother with or necessarily care about accuracy. I only use it as a data point if I question my nitrate reading. I do keep 2 nitrate kits. If I show low nitrates on both kits then I know a high nitrite reading is not possible and must be a testing error.

But then, I also don't accept "fish living" as a valid data point to adding tanks with ammonia either. I am firmly against adding fish with systems that could potentially have more than trace amounts of ammonia. We know that a massive amount of systems have been cycled with dry rock and fish and that the overwhelming majority of those fish will live. Studies have shown that these fish will have permanent gill damage from being exposed to that ammonia. This damage will make fish much more susceptible to succumbing to any parasites that impact gills such as Ich, Velvet, and flukes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back