Cycling question

MonsterReef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2016
Messages
590
Reaction score
235
Location
Columbia Missouri
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been cycling for about a week and a half I fed the tank 3 days ago to see what would happen with the ammonia the ammonia is still there my question is should I do a water change on the tank then wait another week and then feed again and see if the cycle starts
 
My tank has been cycling for about a week and a half I fed the tank 3 days ago to see what would happen with the ammonia the ammonia is still there my question is should I do a water change on the tank then wait another week and then feed again and see if the cycle starts
Don't do any water changes during cycling...you're waiting for the ammonia to be converted by an active bacteria colony. If you do a water change you won't know if your tank is cycled or not. When your ammonia drops to zero on its own you have a cycled tank.
 
Thank you I have one more question I have the bulkreefsupply to park dosing package and it says to dose calcium and alkalinity at the same time my alkalinity is running High so should I go Acklin when I dose my calcium
 
Thank you I have one more question I have the bulkreefsupply to park dosing package and it says to dose calcium and alkalinity at the same time my alkalinity is running High so should I go Acklin when I dose my calcium
You don't have any fish or corals yet do you..you don't want until your tank is fully cycled. You will do a water change after its cycled so you don't need to worry about those parameters just yet..or at least I wouldn't. After your tank cycles and if you will be adding corals them calcium should be in the 425 range.
 
Thank you I have one more question I have the bulkreefsupply to park dosing package and it says to dose calcium and alkalinity at the same time my alkalinity is running High so should I go Acklin when I dose my calcium
Sorry dkh(alkalinity) should be around 10
 
Agreed, you're a little ways off from having to dose. No need for water changes yet either.

Quick question...noticed you're from Sparta. Do they still have the skydiving school/place there? Was going to do it many, many years ago (used to live in St. Louis) but ended up not being able to. Just curious.
 
No not any more the dkh is 11.2 in my established mixed Reef I started running the air stone at night last night tonight will be the second night of running it
 
3bd7e8e3a2c172027c6d3a2442a3d08f.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new