Cycling question

AB Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling question! I just setup my new 230 gallon tank. Used dry macro rock and live sand and dumped in some Fritz Turbostart. Following morning I added in Dr. Tims Ammonia. My levels are currently....
8+ ammonia levels (was aiming for 2-4) and not even sure how this happened because I didn't have the recommended amount of ammonia and was going to order more.
After 2 days my nitrates are 80+

Did not test for Nitrites because I currently don't have a test kit for them.

What I'm worried about is stalling the cycle because of the high ammonia levels. I heard it makes your bacteria "sluggish"

Should I just wait out the cycle? Will the bacteria eventually "eat" all the ammonia even if its that high? Or should I do a water change? I really don't want to do a water change on the system since its so large and I just put the water in it 2 days ago.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t stall a cycle, Fritz will work fine. Do a water change after a few days and you’re set.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

your tank will follow exactly what we’ve been tracking there

first post in the thread, a claimed 8 ppm stall that wasn’t stalled.

230 gallons is a big water change we usually do this on nanos, to avoid having to do that simply wait one week from today and begin. Add any test animals you want in a week, they’ll be fine as we show. Reason your tester says eight: it’s not a seneye. You do not even have 1 ppm free ammonia much less eight. Never buy a nitrite test kit.

dont add more ammonia you can see conversion is happening merely a week and you’ll be past done. Bottle bac works well, the entry level ammonia test kit sure does not.

F2B13E03-FAD2-410B-B1D7-FAE9EEC57429.png

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not feed any more ammonia. Your skyrocket nitrate is in reality a nitrite spike - not real nitrate. Please see here and here

Yes - high ammonium levels have been reported (scientifically) to some times block the second stage (NO2 -> NO3)

In this situation - your only way out is to wait for the NH3/NH4 to going down - according to these two - see here - in your case - no living organism - WC is not needed but may speed up the process (not sure of that)

Keep on with adding nitrification bacteria. Have not used Fritz by my self but I think it is pure nitrification bacteria.

The backside with this is that when all thing is cycled - you will have an unusual high level of nitrate in your system. I prefer to start with very low adding of NH3/NH4 or start with a fish as ammonia producer.

You have conflicting answers here - use your own head to judge what´s right and what´s wrong.

Sincerely Lasse

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back