Cycling tank questions

POIUY678

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im cycling my tank using fritz turbostart 900 (beneficial bacteria) and fritz fishless fuel (ammonia), my question is, should I turn on my filter or powerhead during the cycle?

My tank is still a little bit cloudy from the sand, so I would like to use my filter and powerhead to fix the issue, but Im not sure if that would ruin the cycle or not because my filter has foam, carbon, and biomax media insert (biological filter media), so Im not sure if these will affect the cycling or not.

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have them on as some of the bacteria will inhabit the filters and help with the cycling process.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you should turn them on, nitrifying bacteria will grow on the surface area's of the machines too.

its also a good time to get to know how to use and clean your equipment and dial it in the way you like before you add livestock.

OP
OP
P

POIUY678

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have them on as some of the bacteria will inhabit the filters and help with the cycling process.
Will the carbon affect the cycling? I heard that it's better to not use carbon, but I am also trying to clear up the water so Im not sure

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take out the carbon for now while you are cycling and just rinse the foam pad frequently. Once cycled you can use the carbon to polish the water.

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the carbon affect the cycling? I heard that it's better to not use carbon, but I am also trying to clear up the water so Im not sure
Don’t use carbon. Your filter will clear up the water give it a day or two let the Powerheads run also.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was given all the same answers in his cloudy water thread but apparently just doesn't get it.

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea sorry, still new to this. But the water has cleared up since I used the filter, just waiting for the cycle to end now

Now you’ve seen what the mechanical filtration does. Takes out stuff you can see in the water.

Carbon, since you mentioned it, is for taking out chemicals, it doesn’t make the water clear of debris, but it does remove yellow color from water if it’s funky or got some unwanted chemical in it. “Use some carbon to clear it up” refers to that. Carbon is like a chemical magnet, but when you want chemicals in there, like when you are cycling, or when you maybe put medicine in the tank, you want to take the carbon out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back