Cynarina help!!!

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some suggestions, I’ve had this Cynarina lacrymalis for just over 2 months and has seemed to decline in health. To me doesn’t look healthy but is this normal activity, looks like bone structure poking through no flesh covering certain areas that once had? Parameters are as follows and have been with no crazy swings, currently trying to get phosphates and nitrate up. However all other corals are thriving so not sure stripped nutrients is the issue. Setting at 230 par and has been since I introduced it, reading on tidal gardens they suggest medium light up to 150 so I will move it. My opinion it is in medium flow but according to tidal gardens needs low flow. So I will be attempting to find a place with low flow. I did have 2 small acan corals within 4” to it but moved them this week. Only other thing close is zoas and a pavona 9” away. Here are some pictures with dates listed. Any suggestions would be great and is it too late, is it goi by to d

Alk 9.0
Calcium 430
Mag 1360
Phosphates 0
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8.15
Temp 77.5

B31BAB03-68A2-4FA3-9464-3D59D1513E83.jpeg
3121043D-8C39-4140-9E3C-A727C5C440FD.jpeg
49437CB9-6DF6-4177-BE57-E666DD5DEF9E.jpeg
E773D797-8B03-4570-AF8E-754F4E10C471.jpeg
778ADCEC-2220-4CBB-AA15-6EA1F39206E0.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I dont see much in the way of abnormality. I am not big on corals in the sand as sand easily irritates many. Do I see a few little bugs in a couple of pics ?

OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see much in the way of abnormality. I am not big on corals in the sand as sand easily irritates many. Do I see a few little bugs in a couple of pics ?
So the skeleton exposed now isn’t of any concern, normal behavior? The bugs you are speaking with I do not see, please explain? I do have a healthy pod population but not away of any nuisance bugs, hopefully that’s not the case?

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don't want the skeleton showing - I actually have one in the same situation due to my classroom tank getting a bit overheated (building issues). If you keep your parameters stable, keep it in low light, and feed once or twice a week, it should bounce back :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So the skeleton exposed now isn’t of any concern, normal behavior? The bugs you are speaking with I do not see, please explain? I do have a healthy pod population but not away of any nuisance bugs, hopefully that’s not the case?
little dots on a couple of pics but hard to confirm.
Any skeletal exposure is not normal but I see minimal in which my coral do mainly when lights first come on. They need good lighting and when on bottom, hard to obtain the minimal 100 PAR. Moderate water flow , desired and they make use of calcium, alk, and magnesium to build their skeletons so it is important to make sure that your water readings are safe levels ( alk- 8-10, mag 1300 andCA at 440)
Direct (not suspended) feeding is also a must 2-3x per week.

OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don't want the skeleton showing - I actually have one in the same situation due to my classroom tank getting a bit overheated (building issues). If you keep your parameters stable, keep it in low light, and feed once or twice a week, it should bounce back :)
Thanks for the info, I just got done moving it to a piece of rock that has an overhang shading some light. Where it has been located at was on the sand bed at 230 per par meter. This should cut back on the par to around 180 or so. Now give it sometime and hope it looks better soon. Any suggestions of food other than Benepets reef food which I currently use?

Twigg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine in low flow, 130 par and spot feed pellets or even mysis/brine shrimp like twice a week. Turn off the flow and drop a few pellets by the mouth and it will love you. Beautiful coral.

OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine in low flow, 130 par and spot feed pellets or even mysis/brine shrimp like twice a week. Turn off the flow and drop a few pellets by the mouth and it will love you. Beautiful coral.
Will try the pellet food next time.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 of these guys (one of my favorite corals) and each have a different attitude and opening “personality”
What I see is normal. They go through phases of right then bubble up and then “skirt” out. The purple coral in my avatar is a cynarina.
They much prefer lower light 75-100 par max, lower flow.
I definitely agree with the others thus far and feeding is a must! Spot feeding preferably when possible. Mine prefer the sand bed (I agree with vetteguy and this coral is ok on sand) with plenty of room to open. They don’t like being constrained by rock.
From what I see, you have a gorgeous one that is healthy. Keep in mind, their flesh can be transparent. I have one that is crystal clear and it looks like the skeleton is sticking out, but it’s not.
Your parameters look good. I would recommend raising your nitrate a bit. They prefer nutrient rich… I keep mine at 3-5 with phosphate .05-.1

Last edited:
OP
OP
jacobreynolds6883

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 of these guys (one of my favorite corals) and each have a different attitude and opening “personality”
What I see is normal. They go through phases of right then bubble up and then “skirt” out. The purple coral in my avatar is a cynarina.
They much prefer lower light 75-100 par max, lower flow.
I definitely agree with the others thus far and feeding is a must! Spot feeding preferably when possible. Mine prefer the sand bed (I agree with vetteguy and this coral is ok on sand) with plenty of room to open. They don’t like being constrained by rock.
From what I see, you have a gorgeous one that is healthy. Keep in mind, their flesh can be transparent. I have one that is crystal clear and it looks like the skeleton is sticking out, but it’s not.
Your parameters look good. I would recommend raising your nitrate a bit. They prefer nutrient rich… I keep mine at 3-5 with phosphate .05-.1
Thanks for sharing the in-depth knowledge, much appreciated. I will continue to observe and start trying to spot feed some pellets/mysis when I feel the RFAs. I do agree with you, more I see these corals in mature size they are absolutely stunning. The purple one you have is a beautiful coral!

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Cynarina lacrymalis 2 days ago, kept it on the sand-bed and noticed because I had angled it and it was so low, the lowest part of the rim lost a lot of color and didn't look as inflated as the rest of the coral. I moved it up onto my rockwork, it's my highest raised coral at the moment. Now that I think about it, I should lower it a little. But they can get pretty big so it's hard to find a nice spot that will be easy to feed, see and grow out. On the substrate it has all the room it needs but light and flow are probably lacking.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back