OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow "pass-thru" is complete. :)

So what you are looking at is a 24" long acrylic box that is held to the back of the tank with three 2" Schedule 80 bulkheads.
The water will flow from the internal Almost-Coast-To-Coast toothless overflow, into this external box.
From there it will exit through the three 1.5" holes into the BeanAnimal plumbing, which I have yet to build.
What I also need to figure out is some kind of removable trim to fit snug around the overflow box to keep things from passing through from the fish room to the tank room.

Without the external box...
i-pkvgNS2.jpg

With the external box...
i-sKsptWF.jpg

And here is a couple shots of the overflow.
It just barely sticks out from the euro-bracing.
Across the length of the overflow there are three removable covers.

A little hard to tell with the reflections on the covers, but there is about 1/4" of space between the euro-brace and the cover.

i-DPsrJ68.jpg

And here is the cover removed.
i-Q4JGm2x.jpg

Some details about the tank...
It's got a nice plastic rim around the inside of the euro-bracing to hold screen tops.

i-75rqc8L.jpg

And the bottom is a hybrid bottom.
In this pic, the very bottom strip of white is my stand.
Above that is a layer of black pvc.
Above that is the glass, which was apparently laid out in three pieces, which is why you see a vertical seem.
And then what you can't really see behind the silicone above that is a layer of black ABS.
So my rock will be sitting on the ABS.
And the front panel is Starphire glass.

i-TvRDfMd.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased with the tank.
It's built very well and seems better than my old DSA tank.
I do have to say that I am very glad I have wood trim from my cabinetry that will be covering the top and bottom due to the layers of eurobracing and the imperfections in the silicone.

And here's how the tank is going to have to sit for the next few weeks while I wait for my sump to arrive and can do the plumbing.
May look at having the trim around the tank redone during this time.

i-rckrPVK.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really slick, my friend.
I might drop by tomorrow to take a peak.

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis,

Are you still in love with your Profilux controller? I remember you as having on of the first GHL Touch screens that I had ran across. I am debating between Neptune & Profilux on my new build right now....just wanted to know what your thoughts were these days.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis,

Are you still in love with your Profilux controller? I remember you as having on of the first GHL Touch screens that I had ran across. I am debating between Neptune & Profilux on my new build right now....just wanted to know what your thoughts were these days.

I love the controller. I hate the attitude from the NA distributor, and the difficulty in getting some of the less popular accessories/parts. And it can be a tad frustrating using their support forum.
BUT... the controller and all associated equipment is designed and built so well, I put up with it.
Getting parts really isn't an issue because the darn thing never skips a beat. And in the odd instance something does break, they just send you the part and you fix it yourself at home, no down time.
I made a mistake once and fried a socket on the powebar. The rest kept working and meanwhile they sent me a new socket and I swapped it out myself in a few minutes.

Look at the way this thing is built!
i-r8MwrMc-XL.jpg

Same with the main computer... that's really what it is.
Just remove the case and you can replace expansion cards, the motherboard, whatever.

They are always updating the firmware and software and they are about to launch myghl.com which will put it all in the cloud.

So yeah.... they can be dbags, but you can't beat it for reliability and build quality, which to me is the most important thing when you're relying on it to protect thousands of dollars in livestock and years of hard work.http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create..., vB_Editor_001_editor, press ALT 0 for help.http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create..., vB_Editor_001_editor, press ALT 0 for help.

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the controller. I hate the attitude from the NA distributor, and the difficulty in getting some of the less popular accessories/parts. And it can be a tad frustrating using their support forum.
BUT... the controller and all associated equipment is designed and built so well, I put up with it.
Getting parts really isn't an issue because the darn thing never skips a beat. And in the odd instance something does break, they just send you the part and you fix it yourself at home, no down time.
I made a mistake once and fried a socket on the powebar. The rest kept working and meanwhile they sent me a new socket and I swapped it out myself in a few minutes.

Look at the way this thing is built!
i-r8MwrMc-XL.jpg

Same with the main computer... that's really what it is.
Just remove the case and you can replace expansion cards, the motherboard, whatever.

They are always updating the firmware and software and they are about to launch myghl.com which will put it all in the cloud.

So yeah.... they can be dbags, but you can't beat it for reliability and build quality, which to me is the most important thing when you're relying on it to protect thousands of dollars in livestock and years of hard work.http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create..., vB_Editor_001_editor, press ALT 0 for help.http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create..., vB_Editor_001_editor, press ALT 0 for help.

Thanks...I'm definitely leaning towards the Profilux. The sad thing is...the display is what really draws me! :tongue:

Jurg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to the external box, could you give me a little more detail how you installed it. Mine will be similar.

I understand you have the schedule 80 bulkheads, but did you put a gasket or any silicone between the tank and the external box? I'm just afraid of leaks and unlike yours I will not have that easy accessibility to it.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...I'm definitely leaning towards the Profilux. The sad thing is...the display is what really draws me! :tongue:
haha, yeah with everything in my fish room, having that display mounted in the wall next to my tank is really convenient. :)

i-TRtkTFk.jpg

In regards to the external box, could you give me a little more detail how you installed it. Mine will be similar.

I understand you have the schedule 80 bulkheads, but did you put a gasket or any silicone between the tank and the external box? I'm just afraid of leaks and unlike yours I will not have that easy accessibility to it.
Yup, you can see the gaskets hanging on the bulkheads in the very first pic above. :)

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates? lol

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates? lol

haha, ok. :)

Coming along slow but sure!
My sump won't be here until around Christmas.
Meanwhile, I'm currently getting some shelving in place, got the 40 breeder frag tank in place, I added a few coats of Polycrylic to the tops of the stands, installed the rubber baseboard, started putting together the BeanAnimal drain plumbing, and even painted the outside of the new walls to match the rest of the garage.

Here's a couple ultra wide angle pics that make the room seem way bigger than it is. lol :D
There is NOT enough room for another 40 breeder next to that one. ;)
But there is more than enough room for the 18x18x16 cube from Glass Cages that is going to be my Mangrove tank.
Picked up an 80w Aqua UV during the Thanksgiving sales too, which arrived this week.

i-8TB4mb2.jpg

i-vpxPNgN.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks as sterile as a freaking operating room, looks great!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks as sterile as a freaking operating room, looks great!

heh heh, Thanks. Wanted a super clean look. And since I'll plan on lots of fragging, I guess O.R. is appropriate! :D

Need to get me one of these...

Operating_Room_Sign.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh heh, Thanks. Wanted a super clean look. And since I'll plan on lots of fragging, I guess O.R. is appropriate! :D

Need to get me one of these...

Operating_Room_Sign.jpg

d2mini O.R. it's official... lol

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a little teaser pic Jeff from LifeReef sent me this morning of my new sump. :whoo:
The skimmer and filter canisters are just for the pic.
I already own the skimmer and I'll probably be starting off with just 3 canisters. Carbon, GFO and Biopellet reactor.
Lots more pics to come once it arrives, probably in a couple weeks or so.

i-p3QV8J4-L.jpg

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmmm..... You and GFO??

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What model LifeReef skimmer is it you're using?

jourdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:waaaht::waaaht::waaaht::waaaht:

OMG!
This is really neat! I am so jealous of your fish room and tank build!

Browner20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been scouting Life Reef systems for over a decade. Hopefully I can make the wife fall in love with the 60gal SPS so much that she will eventually cave to the in-wall 200+ one of these days! My jealous factor just peaked with this build!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back