Damsel mean towards his brethren

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a usually very chill azure damsel in my tank and decided to give him some buddies. Picked up 3 more azure damsels and 3 talbot damsels this Thursday and not totally unexpected, he didn't like his new roommates. He doesn't care about the talbots, just the azures. The smallest of the 3 got pretty beat up, but surprisingly he is the one that quickly found a nice little cave and sort of fought back. The other 2 aren't as beat up but spent the entire day behind the powerheads.

Next day I was able to trap him and banish him to the sump. My plan is to keep him there for a week or 2 or until the new guys all seem pretty settled in. All of the new azures are the same size or bigger as my old one. They're doing great now and are starting to claim their territories.

Will this plan work out? Or can I expect the old guy to torment the new ones again? Rescaping is no option unfortunately.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a usually very chill azure damsel in my tank and decided to give him some buddies. Picked up 3 more azure damsels and 3 talbot damsels this Thursday and not totally unexpected, he didn't like his new roommates. He doesn't care about the talbots, just the azures. The smallest of the 3 got pretty beat up, but surprisingly he is the one that quickly found a nice little cave and sort of fought back. The other 2 aren't as beat up but spent the entire day behind the powerheads.

Next day I was able to trap him and banish him to the sump. My plan is to keep him there for a week or 2 or until the new guys all seem pretty settled in. All of the new azures are the same size or bigger as my old one. They're doing great now and are starting to claim their territories.

Will this plan work out? Or can I expect the old guy to torment the new ones again? Rescaping is no option unfortunately.
Damsels are notoriously, how do i put this, A's. Going to come down to your fish and their individual temperament. Just have a good fish trap ready just in case.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back