Damselfish lover thread

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda hard to see them but this tank only gets natural light.
fullsizeoutput_11b.jpeg

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a wrasse, tang, and angel lover thread, where are the damselfish lovers? I know they get a bad rap but 5 in my 75 gallon tank and they are all pretty good and add a lot of color. I have blue sapphire that is very relaxed, a yellow tail, an azure, a Tracey's damselfish (it was sold as a talbot), and a 3 stripped damsel who is probably my most aggressive one but it just seems to keep everyone in line now and then and for the most part just hangs out.

I’m putting my solitary blue damsel in my future Reefer 170 and I really hope he plays nice with the others

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE DAMSELS TOO! People tell me I’m crazy when I say that but I think they’re cool. Not to expensive, colorful, and add a lot of life to a tank. The only one I can’t stand is the three striped damsels, those things tick me off after they killed two of my other fish. (Which happened about a year ago when I first joined the hobby and didn’t know what I was doing at all hahaha)

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of getting a trio of damsels for my setup. They will be chosen from among the following species:

-Azure (Chrysiptera Hemicyanea)

-Talbot’s (Chrysiptera Talboti)

-Springer’s (Chrysiptera Springeri)

-King (Chrysiptera Rex)

The Chrysiptera genus is relatively peaceful with a few exceptions. Think they’d add some nice movement and color to my setup while being hardy since they’re damsels.

The other kind of fish that I plan to get a trio of are Pajama Cardinals. They hover in the water while the damsels are more active, “typical” swimmers. Would make for an interesting contrast IMO as long as there are no aggression issues.

Now have them swimming amongst my Marine Betta, which will be the primary centerpiece of my tank (a Centropyge angel will be the secondary centerpiece) when the big fish comes out of its cave, I feel it could be quite a display.

Also found this damsel that is most likely a Chrysiptera but I can’t seem to identify the species. The pics are from a Chinese online seller. Could it be a new species? I’d be glad if someone can help me ID this fish.

748267BE-0861-4ED7-9E24-78723D683F22.png 34EA1268-EB1B-4E79-82CF-BA4D462564A6.png

In the first photo the fish in question is the third one from top to bottom.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be curious to know how long you’ve had your Starcki’s and Azure / Kupang Damsels. Since damsels and clowns are related, I’d imagine that all Damsel species are long-lived like clowns and easily capable of doing 12-15 or even more years?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be curious to know how long you’ve had your Starcki’s and Azure / Kupang Damsels. Since damsels and clowns are related, I’d imagine that all Damsel species are long-lived like clowns and easily capable of doing 12-15 or even more years?

I thought clowns only lived like 5 years

U

User1

View Badges
Now have them swimming amongst my Marine Betta, which will be the primary centerpiece of my tank (a Centropyge angel will be the secondary centerpiece) when the big fish comes out of its cave, I feel it could be quite a display.

Seems like you already know this but the Marine Beta isn't going to be the greatest show piece. They are cryptic and will find a darker area in the display or cave to stay throughout the day. If you don't have these or a more established tank I would hold off buying one.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a wrasse, tang, and angel lover thread, where are the damselfish lovers? I know they get a bad rap but 5 in my 75 gallon tank and they are all pretty good and add a lot of color. I have blue sapphire that is very relaxed, a yellow tail, an azure, a Tracey's damselfish (it was sold as a talbot), and a 3 stripped damsel who is probably my most aggressive one but it just seems to keep everyone in line now and then and for the most part just hangs out.
Thank you so much for posting this! I have not bought any fish yet but love the damsels! If I have one or two clownfish and a royal gramma, what two or three damsels would you recommend? Can I buy different ones?

OP
OP
Sailingeric

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for posting this! I have not bought any fish yet but love the damsels! If I have one or two clownfish and a royal gramma, what two or three damsels would you recommend? Can I buy different ones?

All of mine are different varieties, the azure damsel and blue sapphire are fairly tame. The 3 strip one is a bit more aggressive but my chromis keeps it in line

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It has been 3 months since I have added 5 of those chromis viridis (bluegreen chromis) and I now have 11 fish total after adding 2 tangs of whch I have 7 damsels (2 ocellaris clownfish and those 5 chromis) I find it funny how people could hate damsels and yet these peaceful (somewhat) fish are damsels.

OP
OP
Sailingeric

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to give away my jewel damsel. It had turned into the bully everyone says damsels are. It had most of my fish hiding. I removed a bunch of rock to catch it, it did give me a chance to re aquascape :), but the funny thing was all my fish stayed on one side of the tank except for my coral beauty and cleaner shrimp. They knew what was going on and did a great job of blocking/herding the damsel so I could catch it. Now all my fish are out and happy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back