Darwin Jawfish eating fish?

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently picked up a Darwin Jawfish as I love its rarity and personality. From researching online, there is not much information other then they get very large and the only jawfish I know that is listed as semi-aggressive. Even with that, I thought it was worth the risk. Over the past couple weeks, I have added rock, rubble, and about 30 lbs of more sand to allow some deeper areas in the back that are about 5-6" deep.

When picking him up at the LFS, when trying to catch him, he bit at the net pretty hard which was suppressing from a jawfish in my opinion. At home, he took some time to finally find a spot, and I had to help encourage him and start building an area for him to call home. He seems to be a pretty picky eater only really eating jumbo mysis and krill. I will see him eat other froze and sometimes pellets but will spit some of them out.

He has a lot of personality and is great to watch. However, I had (yes, past tense) two storm clowns about a inch and half in length. After about the first week, I noticed one clown missing and could not find in the overflow/sump or anywhere. The one storm missing, also would sleep on the sand bed near the Darwin's den. Another week went by, and now my second clown is missing.

I do not or did not see any remnants of the clown in the tank or on the sand bed.

Has anyone had any experience with Darwin Jawfish? And would they eat a small clownfish?
Darwin 1.jpg
Darwin 2.jpg
Darwin 3.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at that fishes gape and knowing what you wrote I’m thinking that your fish is living up to its namesake’s theory of survival of the fittest.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish will usually eat anything that it can swallow. And often fish can swallow bigger things than one would expect. I don’t know how big your jawfish is but I bet he can swallow an impressively large object or fish.

OP
OP
J

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is probably about 5” right now and when his mouth is opened. It is about the circumstance of a nickel.
A fish will usually eat anything that it can swallow. And often fish can swallow bigger things than one would expect. I don’t know how big your jawfish is but I bet he can swallow an impressively large object or fish

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back