DaStaCo Reactor Thread

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at it and think that they should have an option where you just get the necessities and exclude the regulator and pump. @acesq, does the controller also control the peristaltic pump too?

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you given the Kamoer a look for your feed pump? Not really expensive.
I was looking at the master flex pumps a while ago. I saw the kamoer pulp at Macna and I have been co soldering it for sure. I am also thinking of using my ghl maxi as a feed pump too

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at it and think that they should have an option where you just get the necessities and exclude the regulator and pump. @acesq, does the controller also control the peristaltic pump too?

From the research that I have done, everything plugs into the controller(solenoid and and peristaltic pump )

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It does control the peri pump. That’s how it adjusts the alk level by the amount of water passing through the reactor. I think is does exclude the regulator. At least mine did.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point I'll need to set up a reactor, and the DaStaCo is at the top of my list. So many nice tanks seem to use these reactors. I'm very curious to see where this thread goes! It'll be very interesting to read people's feedback on these reactors.

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just pulled out of a purchase of a Dastaco for the following reason:

The PH of the effluent is fixed at a low pH (around 6.1 i believe) on my smallish system this would have left me fighting the already chronically low pH i have and meaning possible addition of Kalkwasser/CO2 scrubbing etc. I could not justify switching from balling for this reason even though its costing me and has its challenges.
I don't want to put anyone off its just a point of discussion.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank to all contributor, I decided to make the purchase. Arrived in great condition, thank you Unigue Corals. Took me a while to set it up, I had to rearrange a few things
I plan on using Kalk for low PH, used it before starting ATI Essentials and have a 5lb bucket to use
CAAE22C5-946F-4A84-8DFA-9A95231D3BBD.jpeg 154729BB-8EC6-4009-BB7E-67058F30E5AE.jpeg 6BD0816B-21A4-4C6B-ADA2-2FD46A8F6598.jpeg

nickog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all,
i have had one now for around 18 months, it was frustrating to get set up properly (many alarms going off at all hours), however the support provided by the owner was solid, just took a little while to narrow down the issues. Once you get past that it has been a reliable unit, my alk / calc it the most consistent its ever been due to the simple operation of the unit. It does everything, controls the fluid in, c02 etc. you just turn a dial to increase or decrease desired level of alk.

I have used many different reactors over the years, this unit by far is the best, although it is expensive.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all,
i have had one now for around 18 months, it was frustrating to get set up properly (many alarms going off at all hours), however the support provided by the owner was solid, just took a little while to narrow down the issues. Once you get past that it has been a reliable unit, my alk / calc it the most consistent its ever been due to the simple operation of the unit. It does everything, controls the fluid in, c02 etc. you just turn a dial to increase or decrease desired level of alk.

I have used many different reactors over the years, this unit by far is the best, although it is expensive.
Thanks for contributing, hopefully more people will chime in and this will be a resource for people who own the device and who are interested in owning it. I will share my input and experiences as much as possible, mine has now been running only since Thursday 10/4/18, so far so good, other than the minor initial setup issues/alarms it’s been good to go. My DKH has started to settle out at 8.5-9 and Cal at 400 on the 2 setting right now I am still doing daily Alk, will do weekly Alk Cal and Mag for a couple of weeks

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE
I set up the Dastaco and it ran great for 4 days, then I get an alarm, checked all my connections co2 and water flow peristaltic pump, everything seem fine. Restarted and it ran for about 15 min then alarmed again, so because the direction are a little confusing, I started from the beginning adjusting the fine co2 valve so that it takes between 2-3 minutes to flush the water from the mixing chamber, first error,”once you have done this part on initial set up you never have to touch these valves again.”After numerous restarts I thought maybe the float valve had issues, it was suggested that I clean it, which I did, then reassembles the mixing chamber, restarted the unit, still same results. I shunt the unit down and by now it was the weekend, I had already reached out to UC and a few people on this forum. Now I’m surely getting a little warm, because I can’t get help, then I found Two support groups on FB, one of which I was able to communicate with the designer. Bam! A couple of post and I’m back in business and pleased as punch, it’s doing it’s thing and I’m now totally satisfied with this purchase. Here in this thread I will post issues I encounter, maintanence that I perform and update of how the DaSTaCo and the tank are getting along. Hopefully other who purchase or have purchased will come here and ask questions, answer guestions, thought and techniques so that this system won’t be so perplexing
Happy Reefing

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UPDATE
I set up the Dastaco and it ran great for 4 days, then I get an alarm, checked all my connections co2 and water flow peristaltic pump, everything seem fine. Restarted and it ran for about 15 min then alarmed again, so because the direction are a little confusing, I started from the beginning adjusting the fine co2 valve so that it takes between 2-3 minutes to flush the water from the mixing chamber, first error,”once you have done this part on initial set up you never have to touch these valves again.”After numerous restarts I thought maybe the float valve had issues, it was suggested that I clean it, which I did, then reassembles the mixing chamber, restarted the unit, still same results. I shunt the unit down and by now it was the weekend, I had already reached out to UC and a few people on this forum. Now I’m surely getting a little warm, because I can’t get help, then I found Two support groups on FB, one of which I was able to communicate with the designer. Bam! A couple of post and I’m back in business and pleased as punch, it’s doing it’s thing and I’m now totally satisfied with this purchase. Here in this thread I will post issues I encounter, maintanence that I perform and update of how the DaSTaCo and the tank are getting along. Hopefully other who purchase or have purchased will come here and ask questions, answer guestions, thought and techniques so that this system won’t be so perplexing
Happy Reefing

Glad to hear you got it worked out. What was it?

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank to all contributor, I decided to make the purchase. Arrived in great condition, thank you Unigue Corals. Took me a while to set it up, I had to rearrange a few things
I plan on using Kalk for low PH, used it before starting ATI Essentials and have a 5lb bucket to use
CAAE22C5-946F-4A84-8DFA-9A95231D3BBD.jpeg 154729BB-8EC6-4009-BB7E-67058F30E5AE.jpeg 6BD0816B-21A4-4C6B-ADA2-2FD46A8F6598.jpeg
Please post a follow up on how you like after a while please

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you got it worked out. What was it?
First I was going through the setup process repeatedly with the fine adjustment and the co2 after each alarm and restart which wasn't required, I now know; but initially I though this was where the problem was. I reassessed my lines from the co2 solenoid the bottle and the mixing chamber, the section between the solenoid and the mixing chamber was greater than 30cm, so I shortened it, turned the unit on from the transformer and it ran, no more issues. Another mistake I was making was turning the unit on from the controller this wasn't allowing the unit to reset properly, also I had a misaligned vent knob when it was showing a vent setting of 1 it was actually on 3 and it needs to be set on 1 for initial setup

Znoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I have been balling for a few years and as my reef as bloomed, so as my uptake of balling solutions, this is now running me at about 15 days on a 5ltr, this less than acceptable as I have forgotten to top up solution when I got home from holiday and was a couple of days past top up.

I took the plunge and purchased a Dastaco, not fitting this to my system has been challenging as my space was used with large top up container and a 8 way doser system (profilux).

I have managed to purchase a smaller container used for water storage on a motor home cube shape which slots in nicely, all my dosing vessels FM colors and Acropower Vodka fit in as well. So have room in other side for my Dastaco.

My Parameters I shoot for are DKH8.6 and Call 430PPM and I'm generally around this figure.

My question is how do I go about switching to the dastaco, just hook it up and test over a few days?

Or is thee more science to this, it seems to be a little different than standard ph monitored reactors, and really won't to get this right, I seem to be getting my self confused before I have even switched it on.

Regards Rick.

Znoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Sorry it's a t2 800l version dastaco as my ststemporary is 650litre

Regards Rick.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you get the instruction manual? It tells you where to set the two controls initially and then you measure every day at the same time adjusting up or down a small amount each day until your target alk level is reached. It will take a few days to find the setting that is correct for your tank. I believe the initial vent setting is 1 and the initial control setting is 2. Leave the vent setting at one, you raise that only when the control setting is maxed out and you still are not able to maintaining the alk level you desire. Adjust alk up by increasing from the initial setting of 2. Or lower it if the alk rises.

Znoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks acesq,

Yes it was the full package excluding the co2 bottle, Inc instructions.

Am I just testing the tank water? Or effluent?
If I take dosing off today for example an connect the dastaco, my alk might drop so this time tomorrow I test and see if it has I increase from 2. Day three my alk after testing is still lower than desired up again to 4, day four my alk is now to high so lower, and just tweak.

If I add further corals to my system surly this will have a demand on alk so will have to monitor and adjust?

I think I might be confusing the situation as most people post the units are rock solid and the don't have to touch the units once setup.

My tank is fully stocked to about 95% however I was planning on thinning out the run of the mill corals for some high end ones.
Regards Rick

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back