DaStaCo Reactor Thread

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are testing the tank water. It is essentially the same concept as when you adjust your dosing to account for more or less uptake of all by your corals. The DAStaCo put in a set amount of alk and calcium saturated water per hour. You adjust that amount. Turn it up if the alk is dropping and down if it is rising. Put the DaStaCo online the same time you take off your doser, set the initial level as per the instructions and test the tank water alk. 24 hours later test again and adjust the dial up or down depending on your test results. Do this daily until the alk is stable. After that you will not need to adjust just like with your two part dosing regime.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Znoop, thanks for posting here. I was initially too nervous to completely take my dosing off line, so I was checking Alk about every hour and decreasing my dosing as I went along by the end of the day I had dosing off. A big mistake I initially made was having my effluent line to low, make sure it doesn’t siphon. Keep us posted on your progress

Znoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both I should hopefully have this online this coming week.

I will keep you posted and thanks for the info.

robbous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the instruction manual? It tells you where to set the two controls initially and then you measure every day at the same time adjusting up or down a small amount each day until your target alk level is reached. It will take a few days to find the setting that is correct for your tank. I believe the initial vent setting is 1 and the initial control setting is 2. Leave the vent setting at one, you raise that only when the control setting is maxed out and you still are not able to maintaining the alk level you desire. Adjust alk up by increasing from the initial setting of 2. Or lower it if the alk rises.
i currently have my reactor set at 7 almost 8 with 3 vents should i only run one vent ? if i run @7 with one vent or 7 @3 vents the higher the vent the more the kh?

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up an A2 and it has been running great for a couple days.

At first I admit I was pretty put off when I started reading the manual, as it doesn't make a good first impression.
But I followed it step by step in the exact order described, and it turned out to be pretty simple- just hooking up a bunch of connections.

The only place I varied is I already have a nice Alan Le 2-stage regulator, and I used that instead of the included one.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At first I admit I was pretty put off when I started reading the manual, as it doesn't make a good first impression.
But I followed it step by step in the exact order described, and it turned out to be pretty simple- just hooking up a bunch of connections
The only place I varied is I already have a nice Alan Le 2-stage regulator, and I used that instead of the included one.

Lol, yeah, the direction are lacking to say the least, glad you found the thread, there are two face book groups that I keep up with also that are good to view problems and solutions, the only reason I visit FB. Good luck with your Dastaco, I’m sure you will love it

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

But I followed it step by step in the exact order described, and it turned out to be pretty simple- just hooking up a bunch of connections.

An Alan Le 2-stage is a good upgrade.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a question: when I need to change my CO2 tank (or do any other maintenance), what is the best way to stop the system so it starts up again easily? Just turn the whole thing off at the transformer?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do have a question: when I need to change my CO2 tank (or do any other maintenance), what is the best way to stop the system so it starts up again easily? Just turn the whole thing off at the transformer?

Change the tank when the empty alarm sounds. For me, with a 10lb tank, it’s every 5 or 6 months.

Turn it off that the wall or transformer.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Change the tank when the empty alarm sounds. For me, with a 10lb tank, it’s every 5 or 6 months.

Turn it off that the wall or transformer.

nickog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,

looking for help with a problem that has arisen.

the unit keeps going into alarm, with the c02 chamber pushing all the water out and gas running straight into the bottom of the first chamber

i have checked and flushed all lines, replaced the dosing pump rubber, rinsed all media, also have rinsed the sensor

its like the sensor is not working as it does go on and off, but then stays on and pushes all the water out of the mixing chamber

any ideas on whats going on??

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should join the FB page of AMS, tell them the age of your unit and post a video, problems encountered with the DaStaCo are reviewed by the developer and solutions given. I have even had phone conversation with Aissa Zeghari to talk me through issues. (AMS DaStaCo support group)
in the mean time did you check the impeller on the eheim pump? I once had a broken shaft in there, the impeller should be replaced once a year

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread.
Been using a T4 for last year, which is not as nicely finished at the A and extrema series. I feel like I'll break it, every time I open it to maintain it.top it off. Also the tiny hand made aluminum L braket to hold it on the wall is tiny and it can easily slip out. Mine did so last month and I broke the second chamber. Had to fix it with 4 inch plumbing parts.
Other than that it has been running flawless in a much larger setup than what it's rated for and I'm still at a setting of 4 only. Had a few alarms initially which was fixed by making sure there was no CO2 leaks and also by running the co2 pressure a tiny bit above what they recommend (0.9-1).
My total system is around 800 G and I see a 0.1 drop in PH when dastaco is on (saw a 0.1-0.2 increase in PH when it broke and was being fixed) so will add a container for it to drip in with some media and an airstone to minimize the drop.
Other than that setup and tuning has been a breeze.

nickog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the problems with the sensor as apposed to the selnoid. the c02 light does turn on and off and you can hear the selnoid clicking, it then stays on rather than turn off when it should, which quickly pushes all the water out of the bottom of the mixing chamber setting of a alarm.

this all happens within minutes of turning it on, i have a video of it if you can post them here.

everything has been cleaned again, have also asked to join fb thread

nickog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have replaced the solenoid with another GHL unit that i had just to check that

anyway now the C02 wont turn on at all on the controller, have restarted the unit a number of times with no luck

maybe the controller itself is faulty, has anyone had a controller fail?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back