DaStaCo Reactor Thread

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ohashimz I am interested in the KH guardian myself--- Seeing as the Trident is impossible to find
Well trident issues started coming our now thu there is very very few users.
The way I see, kh guardian for alk testing(which is what matter honestly) then wait for one of these ion based probs for testing everything else. Kh director is one very strong contender am waiting dor to get my hands on.
Khg is soild solid device. I have 3. 2 I used for 2 years now, nothing but good to say about it from my end.
It's cheap now too. If you contact the company directly they give you good price and very quick shipping. You would be suprised..

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those using the Dastaco, since the media is alk and cal only, what else do you dose if anything? Mag? Major or minor trace elements?

Thanks

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt do you use?

No other elements?

Thanks for the input
I have juggled salt lately but I typically and between Red Sea Blue Bucket, Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals. right now I am using Instant Ocean (Tried and true AND cheap). I personally dose Acropower, Feed heavily, with a refugium and bubble king skimmer. I have used Red Sea Trace ABCD but I find that I dosing Trace D I get a small but noticeable algae/diatom "fuzz" on my rocks that can get to be too much to deal with if I continue dosing. I also run a UV sterilizer to trying to mitigate it. Only dosing 3ml a day in a 400ish liter tank but if I am doing something wrong someone please tell me! lol

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have juggled salt lately but I typically and between Red Sea Blue Bucket, Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals. right now I am using Instant Ocean (Tried and true AND cheap). I personally dose Acropower, Feed heavily, with a refugium and bubble king skimmer. I have used Red Sea Trace ABCD but I find that I dosing Trace D I get a small but noticeable algae/diatom "fuzz" on my rocks that can get to be too much to deal with if I continue dosing. I also run a UV sterilizer to trying to mitigate it. Only dosing 3ml a day in a 400ish liter tank but if I am doing something wrong someone please tell me! lol

I've been using a PacSun Calcfeeder for the past couple years. I just bought the Dastaco and it will be here tomorrow. The PacSun uses coral media so I get whatever elements are broken down from that.

I have also dosed Fauna marin color elements for years with good results. It's a once a week dose and typically the corals respond well with increased coloration after the first several days of the dose. I also add Potassium and Strontium in addition. I submitted my water to Triton for a baseline to know that those two needed to be added. Fauna Marin is stopping their color element line. Tropic Marin has a newish line out selling pretty much the same thing so I'm guessing that's why. I'll be switching to Tropic Marin's line soon.

I had used Red Sea in the past, then switched to Tropic Marin who recently jacked their salt prices way up. I've since switched to IO Reef. Other than a ton of greyish green sediment from the IO crystals the salt is fine. I have seen an increase in algae on my rocks and some cyano since. I thought it might be due to water changes but am now starting to think it may be salt related. Tough to identify the cause of that stuff. Frequent water changes combined with sand cleaning help.

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Johnseye

Why the switch over to Dastaco?

Corey

I was one of the first to get the PacSun Calcfeeder about 3 years ago. It has some quirks. They've since released a version 2 which addresses some of these, but not all. I was contemplating buying their AC3 version 2 but thought I'd try the Dastaco instead. Back when I bought the Calcfeeder it was between it and the Dastaco.

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was doing some routine maintenance and cracked my circulation pump inlet attachment on the first reactor chamber. Anyone have similar issues? Representative from AMS told me to use a silicone glue that dries with UV light. Other users from overseas told me to just replace the chamber citing pressure issues.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was doing some routine maintenance and cracked my circulation pump inlet attachment on the first reactor chamber. Anyone have similar issues? Representative from AMS told me to use a silicone glue that dries with UV light. Other users from overseas told me to just replace the chamber citing pressure issues.
refer to Leon Mur post Destaco support group. he had the same issue. I gave you a solution to try on the forum with acrylic cement, it act like an acrylic weld bonds instantly. would be better than buying a new cylinder

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
refer to Leon Mur post Destaco support group. he had the same issue. I gave you a solution to try on the forum with acrylic cement, it act like an acrylic weld bonds instantly. would be better than buying a new cylinder
Where is the Dastaco support group? Facebook or a forum some place? Yep, Facebook. Found it.

Last edited:

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to say that I’m back up and running! I ordered some parts from unique as backups and was wondering if there were any quicker ways to get Dastaco parts?

KPersico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a new Dasatco CO2 regulator. All of a sudden after a few months of use - the bar meter on the left jumps to the max of 4 after a number of hours of use.

The co2 tank is barely open, the black knob is turned all the way counter clockwise, and the only thing to fluctuate the pressure is the fine tune knob.

I set the unit at .08 BAR and I wake up this morning and it jumps to the max of 4. Is this a regulator issue or is it a tuning issue? I keep playing around with the fine pressure knob and this keeps happening.

KPersico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced the regulator and the pressure is staying constant at .8. However - I’m getting an alarm. I believe it is due to the fine tuning for the CO2 stream. I can never get it right. Can you explain further that part? Slow stream?

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the unit off at the power source, flush all the air out of the chambers like you did at initial setup, close the fine completely then open it about 3-4 turns, restart the unit, let it run, if you get an alarm because the co2 is evacuating the mixing chamber too fast, close the fine by a small increment and restart the unit you may have to flush the media chambers again before the restart.

KPersico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of someone in NYC that can take a look at my reactor?
Will pay in green paper and beer

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back