Dead rock flower anemone

BabyShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few rock flower anemones for a while and they’ve been doing great in my tank. I recently got a new one from a company that’s been giving me trouble last week and it appears to not be doing so good. What are signs that a rock flower anemone is dead? Also what steps should I take if it dies in my tank? I know most anemones can be toxic to the water when they die.
Thank you in advanced.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few rock flower anemones for a while and they’ve been doing great in my tank. I recently got a new one from a company that’s been giving me trouble last week and it appears to not be doing so good. What are signs that a rock flower anemone is dead? Also what steps should I take if it dies in my tank? I know most anemones can be toxic to the water when they die.
Thank you in advanced.

Rock flower anemones are pretty hardy and can take quite a beating. So you have to make sure it's really really dead.

When it's dead, it'll start to fall apart and look like a pile of goo. If it's still inflating or looks intact, it's not dead yet and may recover. You can also do the smell test, although they normally smell pretty funky even when healthy but a dead one gives off a terrible smell.

I haven't had any issues with toxicity when they are dead. For the most part, just remove it from your system ASAP if it is dead.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one I ever had "die", just disappeared. It never contaminated my tank, nor did I see any adverse reactions to it dying.

But as said, they are really hardy and can take a pretty good beating. Unless it's a pile of goo, I would assume it's still alive.

OP
OP
BabyShark

BabyShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info guys. Could just be stress. Today I found him in the sand with stuff coming out of him. I took him out the tank to check then placed him back in the tank. Here’s a photo of him next to one of my other rock flowers.

image.jpg

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info guys. Could just be stress. Today I found him in the sand with stuff coming out of him. I took him out the tank to check then placed him back in the tank. Here’s a photo of him next to one of my other rock flowers.

image.jpg

He's still intact, so I'd just leave him alone and see what happens. Just keep him out of the current. He's definitely not happy though but not dead yet.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back