Dealing with Pea Soup - Solution Found!

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share my experience dealing with severe water clarity issues and water borne algae.

I started cycling my tank in March 2018. I ran it without a skimmer and once cycled I added a clown, Blenny and Watanabe Angel of the course of about two months. Unfortunately there was a long delay getting the skimmer in to the country which I think was a factor in what happened. I did large, regular water changes while I waited for it.

By the end of May, my tank looked like this -

Before.jpg

Water parameters were good but no matter what I did the green wouldn't budge. Water changes provided some relief but within 24 hours I was back where I started. I tried lights out, when the skimmer came in aggressive skimming, all types of mechanical filtration and out competing it with macro-algae. Nothing - for two whole months.

I asked everyone I new and researched what was around. I have been told regularly that people have never seen anything like it.

My theory is, that this was a phytoplankton bloom that was fed initially by excess nutrients because of the extended time without a skimmer. Then, it reached a critical mass that meant it was reproducing quicker than I could export it via water changes and skimming, and was fed by it's own die off in a never ending cycle.

Last Saturday the solution arrived. A cheap 24 watt UV sterilizer. I plumbed it in and saw an immediate (like an hour in) improvement. Last night, it looked like this at the same time of day as I took the the original photo -

After.jpg

Still a little cloudy, but I can see my fish and corals again! I can't express what a relief this was.

I didn't plan on a UV skimmer, certainly not for ich control (I quarantine) and likely will rarely use it unless I am having bacterial or water borne algae issues. But if any local reefers have any similar issues I'll recommend giving UV a try and lending it to them.

I took this photo also last night -
Stunning.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other common name for the UV is a clarifier ..... for precisely the reason you found!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came in handy when I had a Dino outbreak last year. Had it plumbed to my tank but removed it after a few months because it was just too crowded under the stand and made it impossible to work in there. Last year when my tank had the Dino outbreak I hooked the UV up to a spare canister filter and ran it on a timer at night when the Dinos were in the free swimming stage in the water column. I also blasted them off of everything with a turkey baster right before lights out. Did this for 3 weeks until the Dino was gone continued one more week and broke it own. Glad I never sold the UV when I removed it from under the stand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back