Debris In Sump

  • Thread starter Thread starter adamfinke
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

adamfinke

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2012
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
Location
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get Debris build up in my sump and then when I turn my pump back on after feeding it blows it up in my tank. Any thoughts on keeping debris out of the sump. I have a prefilter in my over flow but I still get crap in the sump. How often should you clean out the refigium? This new Lifereef CLF1 sump has only been running for 6-7months.

100_4230.jpg
100_4231.jpg
100_4232.jpg


100_3951.jpg
 
I get pellets that build up in my sump if I am not careful so I suck them out with a shop vac when needed! LOL!
 
No filter sock, just a foam prefilter in the overflow and a foam block in the sump which you can see from the pics. I clean the prefilter every 3-4days and the sump filter every water change.
 
I would say keep it out with filter sock. But if you don't have one/want one then just suck it out. Probably have to use a ph with a hose. Or as rev said, a shop vac. Oh and sweet sump. I know you paid a pretty penny for that baby. Life reef ain't cheap.
 
Last edited:
I'm really happy with my set up, just need to get rid of that crap in the so it dosen't get in the tank. I need a small shop vac that would be best. Any of you put reefcleaners in the sump and refigium? I have 3-5 snails in refigium.
 
I'm really happy with my set up, just need to get rid of that crap in the so it dosen't get in the tank. I need a small shop vac that would be best. Any of you put reefcleaners in the sump and refigium? I have 3-5 snails in refigium.
 
I use one of these to remove the crud from our sump:
Mr. Cleaner

Instead of using the included sock, I hooked a vinyl hose to it and drain to a bucket or directly to the sink in our sump room.

Best $13 bucks I've ever spent. The first one lasted over a year. I've been using the current one for about 6 months now.

-Terry
 
Just bought that gravel cleaner thx mike&terry ...I was having same issue , I added a couple of power heads (helped a bit) since my sump is 63"x27"x20"... I was getting crud everywhere due to lack of flow. Now it's minimal but still needed something to clean it up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new