Debris In Sump

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get Debris build up in my sump and then when I turn my pump back on after feeding it blows it up in my tank. Any thoughts on keeping debris out of the sump. I have a prefilter in my over flow but I still get crap in the sump. How often should you clean out the refigium? This new Lifereef CLF1 sump has only been running for 6-7months.

100_4230.jpg
100_4231.jpg
100_4232.jpg

100_3951.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I get pellets that build up in my sump if I am not careful so I suck them out with a shop vac when needed! LOL!

OP
OP
A

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No filter sock, just a foam prefilter in the overflow and a foam block in the sump which you can see from the pics. I clean the prefilter every 3-4days and the sump filter every water change.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say keep it out with filter sock. But if you don't have one/want one then just suck it out. Probably have to use a ph with a hose. Or as rev said, a shop vac. Oh and sweet sump. I know you paid a pretty penny for that baby. Life reef ain't cheap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy with my set up, just need to get rid of that crap in the so it dosen't get in the tank. I need a small shop vac that would be best. Any of you put reefcleaners in the sump and refigium? I have 3-5 snails in refigium.

OP
OP
A

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy with my set up, just need to get rid of that crap in the so it dosen't get in the tank. I need a small shop vac that would be best. Any of you put reefcleaners in the sump and refigium? I have 3-5 snails in refigium.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of these to remove the crud from our sump:
Mr. Cleaner

Instead of using the included sock, I hooked a vinyl hose to it and drain to a bucket or directly to the sink in our sump room.

Best $13 bucks I've ever spent. The first one lasted over a year. I've been using the current one for about 6 months now.

-Terry

K1Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought that gravel cleaner thx mike&terry ...I was having same issue , I added a couple of power heads (helped a bit) since my sump is 63"x27"x20"... I was getting crud everywhere due to lack of flow. Now it's minimal but still needed something to clean it up.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back