Deciding on controller: What do you hate most about Apex, GHL, and HYDROS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What I dislike most about each one?

Apex - He's gone now so it's their lack of water resistance. They cut too many corners with hardware.

Hydros - CoralVue and the fanboys. There are issues in the software but neither will acknowledge them. The wifi bar is a pile of junk. All connection issues are your fault though. Just remember that when you talk to CV and things go smoother. Your WiFi is ALWAYS the problem. It couldn't possibly be the $5 power bar with a 15 cent wifi chip.

GHL - their software is an absolute joke. Worst in the industry from any company. You'll also find very little help from the community. You'll just be told you're the issue and you need to change your entire network to accommodate the GHL.

But let's be fair and say what I like...

Apex - Easy to use. If you can't code IF THEN stuff, use the tasks! If that's too hard, there isn't a controller for you. Sorry, not sorry. In 7 years I haven't had a single hardware failure to date. I've got EB8s, DOS, PM1, multiple temp and pH probes, and more. Yes, I've replaced probes since they do wear out but never prematurely so far. I'm actually a big fan that BRS is involved in some way now. Neptune needs a good kick in the pants.

Hydros - very easy to setup and program. Better attention to build quality and water resistance. Love all the new stuff coming out.

GHL - the hardware is unreal. Easily the best built. This is where it ends though...

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a nice hydros system for Christmas. The setup was very easy. I am super impressed with it so far. Build quality seems great too. So glad I got this over an apex so far. Can’t wait to add a wave engine to get rid of pump power bricks and also an xp8 power bar for fail safe “brain”.

I was able to also add a water level sensor as a fail safe to kill the return pump in case my drains get clogged. Can’t wait to see what else this can do as I add on.

B358CF2C-89AC-469D-959B-CDFDF131F3FA.jpeg
234FAB85-5BB4-47B0-8C18-C20BF2106DBA.jpeg
156B72BF-3C81-4B24-B793-F7C00E25D8A4.jpeg
Welcome to the Hydros group. I got my first Control unit a little over a year ago. It was an X4 like yours. I now have 8 control units in my collective. My experience with them has been great.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I dislike most about each one?

Apex - He's gone now so it's their lack of water resistance. They cut too many corners with hardware.

Hydros - CoralVue and the fanboys. There are issues in the software but neither will acknowledge them. The wifi bar is a pile of junk. All connection issues are your fault though. Just remember that when you talk to CV and things go smoother. Your WiFi is ALWAYS the problem. It couldn't possibly be the $5 power bar with a 15 cent wifi chip.
If the Hydros power bars are so bad why have I had almost no issues with any of the 4 I have. The only one I did have an issue with it ended up being the location and not the power bar. Once I moved it I have had no issue with it. The control unit I pit where it was now has wifi issue, but since it is a collective it is not a big issue for it to loose wifi occasionally. It may be that I don't have a 5ghz channel turned on to cause an issue. I had so many problems with it on other devices I turn it off long ago.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My power bar disconnects about 2 to 3 times per day. That’s not an issue as it connects back reasonably quickly, but it emails me every time which is a pain.

I’ve tried turning off the email notifications for the power bar but it’s still emailing me. I’m probably doing something wrong but if it continues my next step is to turn off all notifications.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My power bar disconnects about 2 to 3 times per day. That’s not an issue as it connects back reasonably quickly, but it emails me every time which is a pain.

I’ve tried turning off the email notifications for the power bar but it’s still emailing me. I’m probably doing something wrong but if it continues my next step is to turn off all notifications.
I can go over a week without this happening. I get more for the control units for when the internet is down. My internet goes down several times a day. I got several Friday for the feeder but it connected back up before I got home. I did not see any for the 4 power strips I have in the alerts.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the Hydros power bars are so bad why have I had almost no issues with any of the 4 I have. The only one I did have an issue with it ended up being the location and not the power bar. Once I moved it I have had no issue with it. The control unit I pit where it was now has wifi issue, but since it is a collective it is not a big issue for it to loose wifi occasionally. It may be that I don't have a 5ghz channel turned on to cause an issue. I had so many problems with it on other devices I turn it off long ago.

So your 4 are fine and that totally negates the issues I have with mine? Again, this goes directly to my point. The only issue can ever be the end user.

I have moved mine all over my house. Even put them in the same room as my router. I added an access point like Carlos suggested, I spent over an hour on the phone with Michael (I think. Doesn't even work for CV) and got absolutely nowhere.

Mine disconnect no less than 8 times a day every single day. I turned off all notifications for this. If CoralVue wanted to provide good customer service, they would have sent me brand new units to test. If the problem continues, there is clearly something in my network messing them up. However, they offered nothing except, "Sorry, it's your network."

I have close to 40 WiFi devices on my system at this point. Many in the same room as my Hydros bars. Nothing else has an issue. Nothing. Including smart plugs running my big tank.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your 4 are fine and that totally negates the issues I have with mine? Again, this goes directly to my point. The only issue can ever be the end user.

I have moved mine all over my house. Even put them in the same room as my router. I added an access point like Carlos suggested, I spent over an hour on the phone with Michael (I think. Doesn't even work for CV) and got absolutely nowhere.

Mine disconnect no less than 8 times a day every single day. I turned off all notifications for this. If CoralVue wanted to provide good customer service, they would have sent me brand new units to test. If the problem continues, there is clearly something in my network messing them up. However, they offered nothing except, "Sorry, it's your network."

I have close to 40 WiFi devices on my system at this point. Many in the same room as my Hydros bars. Nothing else has an issue. Nothing. Including smart plugs running my big tank.
I am not saying that. The way you wrote it is everyone is having an issue with them. Do you have just one wifi strip?

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your complaint is the wifi power bar then get the xp8 as soon as it comes out. Problem solved plus has a brain so if you lose the control unit, your power bar still functions as a brain. Unlike the apex. Head unit failure on apex is the worst. Ever.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Except the xp8 has no sense ports so it can’t really monitor anything. That makes it a bit of an expensive add-on power bar to another unit (which will be required, even if you only want to monitor temp).

The xp8 is even more expensive than a GHL PowerBar!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My power bar disconnects about 2 to 3 times per day.

I can go over a week without this happening. I get more for the control units for when the internet is down. My internet goes down several times a day. I got several Friday for the feeder but it connected back up before I got home. I did not see any for the 4 power strips I have in the alerts.

GHL - their software is an absolute joke. Worst in the industry from any company. You'll also find very little help from the community. You'll just be told you're the issue and you need to change your entire network to accommodate the GHL.

It seems like there its other aquarium controllers that have WiFi problems - not only Profilux 4 :D:p and for the book - I have no problems with GHL software -its work great

Sincerely Lasse

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can get a wifi power bar from Home Depot but it is more expensive than Hydros and does not come with the mounting bracket. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vivitar-Smart-Home-Wi-Fi-Power-Strip-HA1007-WHT/303256236 . They are Tuya type power bars. The Hydros comes with a specific firmware version though. They locked in the firmware they tested with their units for the ones with the Hydros name. It was the same firmware on the devices that were sold under several names at the time. I guess there have been millions of these sold. Apparently they must have a decent track record or they would be lots of complaints about these out there.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not saying that. The way you wrote it is everyone is having an issue with them. Do you have just one wifi strip?
I never wrote that everyone was having issues. I wrote that there are known issues in the software. Carlos even acknowledged this. It's mostly when accessing the Hydros with multiple devices. The tiles get stuck to "ON" or even disappear for some.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your complaint is the wifi power bar then get the xp8 as soon as it comes out. Problem solved plus has a brain so if you lose the control unit, your power bar still functions as a brain. Unlike the apex. Head unit failure on apex is the worst. Ever.

The XP8 will be a very welcome addition to the lineup.

Chances of me sticking with Hydros are slim at this point though.

I've been running Apex on my main tank for close to 7 years now. Been running Hydros for something like 8 months on my test tank. Both work and both will serve the end user well. Both need to fix certain things though.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can get a wifi power bar from Home Depot but it is more expensive than Hydros and does not come with the mounting bracket. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vivitar-Smart-Home-Wi-Fi-Power-Strip-HA1007-WHT/303256236 . They are Tuya type power bars. The Hydros comes with a specific firmware version though. They locked in the firmware they tested with their units for the ones with the Hydros name. It was the same firmware on the devices that were sold under several names at the time. I guess there have been millions of these sold. Apparently they must have a decent track record or they would be lots of complaints about these out there.

Correct. They are just rebranded power bars you can find on Amazon and Ali. Nothing wrong with that. Many items in our hobby are off the shelf, rebranded items from another industry.

The issue is CoralVue being thoroughly convinced that none of them are ever bad.

I have three of them but I've never set one up. One of mine that has been running since day 1 is worse than the other yet they are in the exact same cabinet next to each other.

So if we pretend it is indeed my wifi, why don't both disconnect at the same time? What would be causing my network to constantly boot one more than the other? How could I ever trust anything critical to run on them?

Maybe I open the third, place it somewhere else and let it run. See if it has the same issues? I may do that if I could find a compelling enough reason to stick with Hydros long term. It would be a much larger investment to go all Hydros and ditch Apex at this point.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The XP8 will be a very welcome addition to the lineup.

Chances of me sticking with Hydros are slim at this point though.

I've been running Apex on my main tank for close to 7 years now. Been running Hydros for something like 8 months on my test tank. Both work and both will serve the end user well. Both need to fix certain things though.
Ah but you’re running the older apex then, not the 2016 head and eb832 right? The old units were rock solid. And outlast the “orange” stuff easily.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. They are just rebranded power bars you can find on Amazon and Ali. Nothing wrong with that. Many items in our hobby are off the shelf, rebranded items from another industry.

The issue is CoralVue being thoroughly convinced that none of them are ever bad.

I have three of them but I've never set one up. One of mine that has been running since day 1 is worse than the other yet they are in the exact same cabinet next to each other.

So if we pretend it is indeed my wifi, why don't both disconnect at the same time? What would be causing my network to constantly boot one more than the other? How could I ever trust anything critical to run on them?

Maybe I open the third, place it somewhere else and let it run. See if it has the same issues? I may do that if I could find a compelling enough reason to stick with Hydros long term. It would be a much larger investment to go all Hydros and ditch Apex at this point.
Are they though? Has anyone opened them and dissected the parts? A lot of knockoffs do a great job at looking exactly like the “real thing” but use way cheaper components inside.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except the xp8 has no sense ports so it can’t really monitor anything. That makes it a bit of an expensive add-on power bar to another unit (which will be required, even if you only want to monitor temp).

The xp8 is even more expensive than a GHL PowerBar!
I have a beta unit of the XP8 to test and I like it. You are correct you will need at least one other control unit with inputs if you want to control any outputs other than using timers. I have 8 control units including that one. I currently have it powering my Return, skimmer, two heaters and several power pack for my MP10's and lighting. If you already have a Hydros control unit it is a good mate since you can power dosing pumps also. Right now my dosing pumps are not near the tank so I would need another one for them but at the moment I use the drive ports to do that. I will have to wait until they are available like everyone else to get another one. They do plan on offering packages which include a control unit and the XP8 instead of the wifi power bar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back