Deep Sand Beds still a thing?

rickybrooks05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they still practicable? I was thinking about throwing one in my sump.

Do you have a DSB?

Is it worth placing one in the sump?

Right now I just run cheato- thinking of moving that to a reactor.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a deep sand bed to my sump about 4 inches deep and noticed no benefits and my filter sock started being a lot louder and I have recently heard of a lot of people advising against it.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep sand beds definitely work. I think the negative with them that has caused them to fall out of favor somewhat is the fact that as they age they can be a time bomb of hydrogen sulfide, especially if disturbed.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added one to my old tank and definitely noticed a difference, my nitrates were nearly undetectable after it was established no matter how much I fed. After I'm finished with my fallow period in my new tank I have a bucket of sand waiting to be added to my refugium. As stated above the main thing is to never disturb it

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep sand beds definitely work. I think the negative with them that has caused them to fall out of favor somewhat is the fact that as they age they can be a time bomb of hydrogen sulfide, especially if disturbed.
how do you 'diffuse' the bomb? I'm planning on upgrading my tank and turning my current into a quarantine so I need to remove the DSB

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you 'diffuse' the bomb? I'm planning on upgrading my tank and turning my current into a quarantine so I need to remove the DSB
If it's in your sump just turn off the flow, remove the sand and all the water from that section, and add new water before restoring flow

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's in your sump just turn off the flow, remove the sand and all the water from that section, and add new water before restoring flow
ok cool thank you, is it okay to just remove the sand bed, rocks, coral etc from my current tank and use it as a quarantine?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool thank you, is it okay to just remove the sand bed, rocks, coral etc from my current tank and use it as a quarantine?
That would probably work just fine. I'd just monitor ammonia very closely due to any possible die off when using medications and keep some bottled bacteria close by if you need it and prime if you aren't using copper

NPRW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading Paul's 47yo reef thread and he made a mention about DSBs having a limited life span (up to a decade). This really hit home for me and made immediate sense - but I just like the look of sand!

For me the biggest pain has been maturing. I started with dry sand and live rock.
As much as a sympathize with with the idea of never disturbing a DSB, the dead spots are essentially wasted area in your bio filter. I had to stir up chunks quite regularly to dissipate the dead spots, I now have some extra cuc taking care of that. Ive always had a low nutrient tank so I think the balance needs to be found to provide the dsb with "food" to let it actually grow these anoxic bacteria's and all the other micro crustaceans.
6Mths in I almost have a mature sand bed. I still dose bacterias from various brands.

As I said before I did it purely for the look, I don't run a fuge or a scrubber and I've never had a nitrate problem, making up for the relatively non porous LR. I did use a homemade scrubber for a few weeks though and it worked on overtime, suggesting macros might be a more efficient nitrate sink.

Moving/removing a DSB I'd put animals in quarantine as the gradual buildup of hydro sulfide will have to have an effect. I don't have the numbers to back it up but I've had the black spots.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading Paul's 47yo reef thread and he made a mention about DSBs having a limited life span (up to a decade). This really hit home for me and made immediate sense - but I just like the look of sand!

For me the biggest pain has been maturing. I started with dry sand and live rock.
As much as a sympathize with with the idea of never disturbing a DSB, the dead spots are essentially wasted area in your bio filter. I had to stir up chunks quite regularly to dissipate the dead spots, I now have some extra cuc taking care of that. Ive always had a low nutrient tank so I think the balance needs to be found to provide the dsb with "food" to let it actually grow these anoxic bacteria's and all the other micro crustaceans.
6Mths in I almost have a mature sand bed. I still dose bacterias from various brands.

As I said before I did it purely for the look, I don't run a fuge or a scrubber and I've never had a nitrate problem, making up for the relatively non porous LR. I did use a homemade scrubber for a few weeks though and it worked on overtime, suggesting macros might be a more efficient nitrate sink.

Moving/removing a DSB I'd put animals in quarantine as the gradual buildup of hydro sulfide will have to have an effect. I don't have the numbers to back it up but I've had the black spots.
what does he consider a deep sand bed?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mainly because they can't be cleaned are just a "Sink" for nutrients

I kind of have one in my sump but it's inside the bottom of a 1 gallon container. So I can eventually remove it

Love this idea, what are everyone's thoughts on running a removable section of sump with a DSB essentially a remote DSB? Once it's a cause for concern it can be "Taken offline" and cleaned out without harming the rest of the system. Are they worth running this way?

NPRW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 inches?, so a 1 inch sand bed shouldn't make any problems?

As far as dead spots no, but it won't be deep enough to support anoxic bacteria so won't actually function as a DSB.
My breeder had a 1" sand bed, now it's a pile in the corner from his Goby.

U

User1

View Badges
I don't think it is about what is or is not in or a thing as you put it. I believe it is up to the hobbyist to determine what they are trying to keep as it relates to their vision. Substrate, or a bed, regardless of depth, is still a bed of substrate. People use Berlin, DSB, RDSB, plenums, reverse under gravel, or bare/none. Everyone has their own opinion of what works for them or their personal bias.

I have not personally run a bare bottom but have wanted to try one. I usually run 4 to 6 inches of sand because that is what is in the ocean. Not at that depth mind you but Mother Nature doesn't bare all if you will so I usually throw something down. The key though is understanding it and managing it appropriately and not leave it unattended.

Whatever you use one can't let it run on auto pilot is what I'm saying. There are successful tanks using these some longer than others. What equates to success that is another question be it longevity of fish and corals...to tanks maturity in between issues.

Back