Deep Sand Beds still a thing?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep sand beds have use, but there are aspects to consider:

All this is based on using sand with grain size between 2-5mm....

The first 0.5 inches of sand has aerobic autotrophs that convert ammonia to nitrate ultimately.
The next 0.5 inches or so has facultative anaerobic heterotrophs that can reduce some of the nitrate in to gaseous nitrogen. The remaining depth is filled with obligate heterotrophs that reduce nitrate to ammonium, then back to nitrate, back to ammonium and so on. Some of the nitrate can leach back into the water column and this becomes more so if disturbed by sand sift critters. This is why sand sometimes get the term nutrient sink or cat litter box. This process stops at ammonium and gets stuck there because the bottom of the tank doesn't allow any further conversion.

Sand grain size between 2 and 5 millimeters.....that seems pretty coarse from what I understand. Back in the day a plenum system was 2 mm sized grains, while a DSB was much finer, oolitic sand, unrinsed...you need the fine grains since you are basically setting up a mud flat type habitat where the micro fauna do the work...worms, pods, micro startfish, etc, etc. No sand sifting gobies or other big stirrers that eventually eat all the little things that do the work of a DSB. YMMV depending on how small your bed is.....I always heard bigger is better. Also periodic replenishment of micro fauna is recommended as well.

Baurochs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DSB mainly because I like the ecosystem/interactions with it. Really no problems, if anything it's thriving considering I don't put that much work into it (bad habit I need to change though). It's only been up for about 6 months now though.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DSB because I'm gonna have sifting gobies and jawfish, as well as wrasses that like to bury themselves. And I really like the look. My approach is to thoroughly stir 1/4 of the DSB weekly so the time bomb thing can't happen. I've been lazy and skipped a couple weeks in a row and it's not been a problem. As far as nitrate reduction is concerned, I'm counting on my algae filter.

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they still practicable? I was thinking about throwing one in my sump.

Do you have a DSB?

Is it worth placing one in the sump?

Right now I just run cheato- thinking of moving that to a reactor.
I've been running a DSB, specifically a Jaubert system, forever. My ocellaris clown is 29 years old, so I'll offer that as evidence as to whether it works or not. My nitrates & nitrites are always zero. Phosphates are very low, difficult to measure, as I also run an algae scrubber. I also run a skimmer. And have a refugium. Cyno is the one thing I still struggle with.
I do vacuum out the top 1 cm or so of sand once or twice a year, and replace it with sand that has been cleaned and dried. The trick is to have more sand than you use in the tank. Same way with rocks. When a rock gets ugly, I remove it, and replace it with one that has been "cleaned." Cleaning means that the rock spends 6 months on the peak of my roof, enjoying the sunshine and rain. Then back into the tank. Let nature do the work for you ... not chemicals.

Baurochs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a DSB, specifically a Jaubert system, forever. My ocellaris clown is 29 years old, so I'll offer that as evidence as to whether it works or not. My nitrates & nitrites are always zero. Phosphates are very low, difficult to measure, as I also run an algae scrubber. I also run a skimmer. And have a refugium. Cyno is the one thing I still struggle with.
I do vacuum out the top 1 cm or so of sand once or twice a year, and replace it with sand that has been cleaned and dried. The trick is to have more sand than you use in the tank. Same way with rocks. When a rock gets ugly, I remove it, and replace it with one that has been "cleaned." Cleaning means that the rock spends 6 months on the peak of my roof, enjoying the sunshine and rain. Then back into the tank. Let nature do the work for you ... not chemicals.

What do you think of sand sifters, or stuff that cleans that surface bit of sand? Still better to replace surface sand? I've been going back and forth about sand critters myself, I wasn't sure if someone like you would have some insight lol

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best sand sifters are probably bristle worms. Ive never had luck with critters that I introduced to stir the sand bed.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they still practicable? I was thinking about throwing one in my sump.

Do you have a DSB?

Is it worth placing one in the sump?

Right now I just run cheato- thinking of moving that to a reactor.
Ive got one in my sump. Idk how much it does, but it's there and life's good

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s how sandbeds can kill a tank.

This below is merely what it takes to run a no tank loss access thread, name your reason for access we handle it all with the same steps.

Now we can see both sides of the coin, using other people’s aquarium outcomes.

Last edited:

Baurochs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best sand sifters are probably bristle worms. Ive never had luck with critters that I introduced to stir the sand bed.
I recently got a tiger conch for it, he's pretty slow paced though. I've also been looking at brittle/serpent stars. How did you get bristle worms? I've been looking and it feels like they only exist on the internet... No one has them or offers them.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Jaubert system uses a plenum correct? What type of sand and how deep is it?

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Jaubert system has 5" of carib sea florida crushed coral over a 1" pvc pipe plenum..the top 1" is special grade reef sand..
I'm keeping gigantea anemone, magnifica.& rbta ..all growing and thriving in the zero nitrate environment.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a DSB in a previous tank for ten years with only great results. I fed heavily and never had any significant nitrates without a refugium on sulphuric denitrifire. When I broke down the tank there was no Hydrogen sulfide. I now run a small DSB in my refugium.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I talked to Dr Jean Jaubert at the 2018 MACNA he said his. Research still supports the use of a DSB. He does not recommend using a plenum. The only reason he ever had a plenum was that there was an existing undergravel filter in the tank he switched to DSB

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this idea, what are everyone's thoughts on running a removable section of sump with a DSB essentially a remote DSB? Once it's a cause for concern it can be "Taken offline" and cleaned out without harming the rest of the system. Are they worth running this way?
I saw this once on a random person on youtube. He used one of the three drawer sterilite organizers and modified it, it was pretty cool.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think our sand rinse thread shows that out of 100 DSB attempts, following the rules exactly as passed down thirty years, 68 show up wanting it surgically removed due to constant problems and never go back.

dsb= higher chance you’ll seek removal of it safely after two years than it will work like the articles say. Sorry for skepticism it’s data based tho, dsb as untouched zone of reduction is on the way out.
im aware 32pct will always love them

i never recommend new tankers use them, we show them the sr thread and they opt out of a near certain cyano takeover ahead of time

i use dsb ironically. 6” deep. But it’s clean, so it’s not a liability. Sand grains are no harm, it’s the mud in between

if we need proof that sandbeds are/are not a risk, all that’s needed to test the claim is someone starting up a house move thread where you -don’t- rinse the DT bed. By page five, anger from your posters regarding a few total wipeouts.

*in power outage prone areas, a DSB is the worst design you can have, it’ll sap oxygen fast away from your fish. It’s a massive oxygen sink for biological oxygen demand and should not be used in areas of expected outage, no mention of this in articles I'm seeing as a reference

sandbed article paints a rosy picture of ideals

sandbed thread is real world outcomes

Two zones emerge in the hobby: articles vs accountability work threads.

There's a reason article writers don't take on problematic dsb's for repair in live time threads with noncompliant tanks

Why do dsb articles never sample from actual people's tanks? Because referencing what the ocean does is safe. Reflecting on their own mastery, safe.

Live time post accountability puts dsb claims in the right perspective, it's rare to master them into functionality. Rosy on paper, a liability IRL for every year of storage.

A bell curve exists, and we get only the upside reports in articles. This makes me enjoy work threads for their reality.

Last edited:

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In ten years of using. DSB I have never experienced a H2S bomb. I think that this is one of the unproven myths of reefkeeping. Until I had to take the tank down I never saw any practical reason for disturbing the deeper layers of the sand bed. When I finally had to dissasemble the tank I was amazed at the amount of life (worms etc) in the deeper layers. There was absolutely nomH2S smell at all.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In ten years of using. DSB I have never experienced a H2S bomb. I think that this is one of the unproven myths of reefkeeping. Until I had to take the tank down I never saw any practical reason for disturbing the deeper layers of the sand bed. When I finally had to dissasemble the tank I was amazed at the amount of life (worms etc) in the deeper layers. There was absolutely nomH2S smell at all.

I think that is the key to preventing the H2S having lifeforms that will slowly turn the sandbed at each level and prevent the gas from building up in the first place. Atleast that's what I'm gathering from what I've read so far

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back