• Start date
  • Tagged users None

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i made a thread on it the other day, but only got like one response. not a very popular fish apparently! lol

i did some googling and found some hits on other sites, many were pretty old.

apparently not many people are down with a $280 damsel :D

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my big concern would be dropping $300 and then it loses color because it's a deepwater fish, that'd be a bummer lol

i did see some pics where it had some blue on the tips of its fins, it's definitely a very pretty fish.. but i think starckis are even prettier and you could get a trio or more for how much this dude is

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I would be careful with any damsel. They are not the nicest fish (hardy), but tank terrors. If you have other fish and or tangs they will eventually pick on them. I had some and had to catch them and take them back. (Didn’t have these ) but it didn’t very long for them to be aggressive.

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i made a thread on it the other day, but only got like one response. not a very popular fish apparently! lol

i did some googling and found some hits on other sites, many were pretty old.

apparently not many people are down with a $280 damsel :D

I totally would pay it. Lol

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... oh, and i run mostly blues on a very tranquil 180G tank (possum wrasses, mandarins, mollies, small blennies, blue reef chromis, black leopard wrasses). i think the canary damsels will be happy. :)

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In many ways the canary damselfish shares the same (relatively) mild disposition as the better known and closely related Starki damslefish, Chrysiptera starki.

hah! i thought they looked similar

hmm i was at aquarium of the pacific earlier this year and missed them in there. although that tank was really dark, if it's the one i'm thinking of. or that article was written 8 years ago and things change

OP
OP
U

User1

View Badges
did you get it? we must have pics!

I didn't. I was going to but decided to wait a couple more months until some coral fill in. My concern at the moment oddly enough is that I do not have enough mature corals. A lot of rocks in there with nooks and crannies but would like it to fill in so I passed. I am looking forward to @Phycodurus info and/or pictures :) I like the sound of the tranquil 180G :)

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take pics later tonight. :)

Presently, I’m debating keeping both of them in the same 10G isolation tank ... 2-3 weeks of delivery recovery, rest & observation (my quarantine philosophy is rest & observation and only medicating if necessary). I have two other 10G isolation tanks. Two are well-aged with established live rock and light flow. The last one is bare for actual medication as needed.

I figure I have a 50/50 chance of having a male-female pair ... not sure if two males will be belligerent (if 24 hours gives the first one a “territorial advantage”). Thoughts??

OP
OP
U

User1

View Badges
@Phycodurus thanks for the information. While I didn't add it to my tank when it went on sale earlier I have added it to my stocking list. I think they are just too pretty to pass up and sized properly. Appreciate the information you have provided and insight on getting them through into your tank.

OP
OP
U

User1

View Badges
I am very happy with my less than $10 damsels I have! $300 is too much for me.

I hear you. However, these are a bit more difficult to collect thus the price. At least that is my understanding since they are found at around 150' depth.

These and Starcki both run a higher cost which has people do double takes. Neither are as common so they add a bit of novelty I guess. Outside the price I find both very pretty fish.

Back