Heniochus diphreutes

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, but why are these so rare in the hobby?

https://www.liveaquaria.com/diversd...ref=4282&subref=AI&cmpid=E-_-TR-_-DDN-_-PRDCT

They look exactly like the non reef safe version, which is still beautiful, but obviously not going to work out great in a reef.

Is it because they're collected in Hawaii? Too hard to tell the difference between the reef safe version and non reef safe?

Someday when I get a bigger tank, I must have these!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably because those are a bonded pair of fish, not just a single.

OP
OP
mattzang

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably because those are a bonded pair of fish, not just a single.

I mean the fish in general, not the bonded pair. That's the first time I've ever seen them offered online and my LFS don't even know they exist. There doesn't seem to be a ton of information on them out there, which just blows my mind. Everyone seems to like h. acuminata so I'm just shocked the reef safe version isn't way more collected/available/popular

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m amazed also. In Hawaii there not hard to find and there in abundance. As well as the pyramid butterflies. I’m also surprised more vendors aren’t selling either. Maybe cause there not expensive and not much money to be made off them. I will continue keeping my eyes and ears open for both

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Heniochus diphreutes on my wish list forever. Don't think it'll ever happen. Just never see them available.

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll happen. According to the guy in Hawaii Ron tubbs there’s not alot/enough interest in them. I find this not to be true cause I know of at least 5 people looking also. I’ll text him and see if there’s a way I could order a bunch. I see he has them on his order form

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can imagine them being difficult to differentiate from h. acuminata in the retail channel. Both for distributors to keep track of which is which and for LFS at point of sale. Someone would go home with the wrong one for sure.

OP
OP
mattzang

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll happen. According to the guy in Hawaii Ron tubbs there’s not alot/enough interest in them. I find this not to be true cause I know of at least 5 people looking also. I’ll text him and see if there’s a way I could order a bunch. I see he has them on his order form

I bet there's a lack of interest because people don't know they exist. I think every local LFS to me carries Heniochus acuminata all of the time, but I've told them about Heniochus diphreutes and they act semi interested, but not enough to actually look into them.

doesn't really matter for me since my tank is way too small, but if I ever got a bigger one...

jpmunoz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for years, had a trio once that died during an outage in QT. Bought another trio on LA but they were not shipped for some reason.
The lack of availability that I have always heard from vendors was that they are poor shippers.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back