Deltec 1660 vs 1455

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Marine Depot is claiming they are the new US distributor of Deltec skimmers and I've heard you have a lot of experience with them.

I am setting up a 180 FOWLR tank and wanted some info on the 2 different models. It says that Deltec now makes their own pumps, but others are saying that they are Aqua-Bee pumps on the SCA models. True?

Also, the 1660 produces twice as much air flow, but does it do the same amount of water as the 1455? And are the body and neck sizes the same on both skimmers?

On MD it claims the pumps are pressurized and only untreated water passes through the units? Is that marketing bs or not?

Just trying to get at accurate picture of the specs and how they work and you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable about Deltec. MD has different info under each of these 2 skimmers so you can't compare. Doesn't list the body size on one and doesn't list the neck size on the other. Lists the LPH of air, but doesn't list the GPH of water.

If you could please address each question, it would greatly help in determining which skimmer would go better in a 180 FOWLR tank with a Trigger 39 sump. Thanks!!!

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi there,

Thanks for the post,

On a 180 gallon the SC1455 would be the right fit, unless you plan to stock heavy, in which case the SCA166o would give you some wiggle room. If it were me, Id probably go with sth 1660. Go with the AC model as well. It's the external skimmers that employ the isolated pressurized chamber that feeds only unprocessed water into the chamber as opposed to recirculating which Deltec has found to be of little benefit with such an efficient design. Unnecessary "dwell time" is reduced tremendously thus allowing more water to be processed. Faster and more efficiently. The internal models do this automatically as they draw unprocessed water directly from the sump.

In 2009 deltec completely redesigned their skimmer line, including developing and engineering their own extremely efficient AC pumps. They are based on the Aquabee pumps that the older generation Deltec's used.

hope that helps to clarify

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the recirculating external Deltec skimmers dont recirculate anymore?
I thought longer Dwell time allowed to skim better? This is not the case according to Deltec?
I wondered if you were still a Distributor of Deltec Skimmers? If so can you aquire a APF 800? Thanks

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to jump in here - hope I don't throw this too far off - but I currently have a Deltec SC2060 on a 180g display tank and ~50g sump. I have not been overly impressed with the skimmate that it is pulling out - often very wet or none at all. I have it tuned to right about even with the bayonet fitting on the output tube but the flip side is that nutrients are in check.

Could it be that there just isn't a lot to pull out?

EDIT: Also I have it hooked to an external airline roughly 4' in length where it connects to a much wider 1.5" PVC pipe that extends to fresh air. Will this cause an issue?

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 1660 recently purchased from Adam on my 180. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 1660 recently purchased from Adam on my 180. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old is your tank?
How many fish?
How many corals?
How much live rock?
I would def kill the long airline.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to jump in here - hope I don't throw this too far off - but I currently have a Deltec SC2060 on a 180g display tank and ~50g sump. I have not been overly impressed with the skimmate that it is pulling out - often very wet or none at all. I have it tuned to right about even with the bayonet fitting on the output tube but the flip side is that nutrients are in check.

EDIT: Also I have it hooked to an external airline roughly 4' in length where it connects to a much wider 1.5" PVC pipe that extends to fresh air. Will this cause an issue?

more than likely . they 2060 is a bit oversized on 180 gallons and will definitely reach the "catch up " point where it wont really pull a steady dry foam so much as the water column wont provide enough to do so. not really a problem. buy if your like me you like to see a good stream of foam which is how a more appropriately sized skimmer would perform on your system

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?
How many fish?
How many corals?
How much live rock?
I would def kill the long airline.

Mid-heavy bioload of fish, tons of SPS, ~180 pounds of live rock. The air line isn't very long (4' @ 3/8" before it opens up to 1.5" I don't see how that could be a problem)

more than likely . they 2060 is a bit oversized on 180 gallons and will definitely reach the "catch up " point where it wont really pull a steady dry foam so much as the water column wont provide enough to do so. not really a problem. buy if your like me you like to see a good stream of foam which is how a more appropriately sized skimmer would perform on your system

Agreed on the oversize - I couldn't pass up the deal though. I figured the issue was the lack of nutrients to pull out. Trade me a smaller skimmer? ;Shamefullyembarrased

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The 1660 is oversized for a 180!!! It goes up to 500 gallons. Deltec doesn't overestimate their skimmers like most do. You should sell that off and get the 1660 at the very most. Did you try opening the gate valve almost entirely to reduce the wet foam?

The air line may also not be letting the skimmer suck in as much air as is needed for that size.

Try this first... I did it on my current system and it helped with the skimmer. Ditch the air line. If anything, extend the pvc to the room where the tank is and put something to open & close it when you need fresh air. Put a larger clip-on fan on the back of the stand so it blows fresh air into the stand. I also sometimes take something to hold a door slightly open as to allow cross breeze circulation.

With your fresh air pvc open into the room, the fan will suck the air into the cabinet. Even if you don't extend the pvc, the fan will still blow fresh air into the stand. I have mine clipped upside down on the stand, rite under the tank, blowing into the stand.

The skimmer should be allowed to pull whatever air it needs. The air line is restricting that. If that doesn't help, because it's cheap and quick to see, then I would really downsize the skimmer, which would ultimately be the best bet.

You're using a skimmer that could handle 4 of your tanks! ;)

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Thanks for the post,

On a 180 gallon the SC1455 would be the right fit, unless you plan to stock heavy, in which case the SCA166o would give you some wiggle room. If it were me, Id probably go with sth 1660. Go with the AC model as well. It's the external skimmers that employ the isolated pressurized chamber that feeds only unprocessed water into the chamber as opposed to recirculating which Deltec has found to be of little benefit with such an efficient design. Unnecessary "dwell time" is reduced tremendously thus allowing more water to be processed. Faster and more efficiently. The internal models do this automatically as they draw unprocessed water directly from the sump.

In 2009 deltec completely redesigned their skimmer line, including developing and engineering their own extremely efficient AC pumps. They are based on the Aquabee pumps that the older generation Deltec's used.

hope that helps to clarify

Thanks for responding, that answered a lot. One more quick question about the version with the wiper. Is it useful in any way to justify the extra cost? And is it removable so I can just use the regular lid or is it built-in? Probably leaning towards the model without the wiper, but wanted to ask how decent it is and if it really helps. Because it's roughly a $75 difference between the two, but their automated cleaning head is like $700 by itself, without the skimmer. So I would imagine the manual one is a cheap and gimmicky add-on.

Oh, and do you know the gph of water for the 1455 and the 1660?

Last question, I promise!

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for responding, that answered a lot. One more quick question about the version with the wiper. Is it useful in any way to justify the extra cost? And is it removable so I can just use the regular lid or is it built-in? Probably leaning towards the model without the wiper, but wanted to ask how decent it is and if it really helps. Because it's roughly a $75 difference between the two, but their automated cleaning head is like $700 by itself, without the skimmer. So I would imagine the manual one is a cheap and gimmicky add-on.

Oh, and do you know the gph of water for the 1455 and the 1660?

Last question, I promise!

I honestly do not think the wiper heads or auto heads are with the price at all.

Cubed Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 2060 on my 185 with 40g sump, initially had a ton of skim, scary amounts actually but now is probably a third of that amount. I still have a little foam at the top and such but not nearly what it was but that does not phase me since the water is crystal and no issues with nutrients. I have a swabbie on mine also. Total of 14 fish feeding twice a day.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 2060 on my 185 with 40g sump, initially had a ton of skim, scary amounts actually but now is probably a third of that amount. I still have a little foam at the top and such but not nearly what it was but that does not phase me since the water is crystal and no issues with nutrients. I have a swabbie on mine also. Total of 14 fish feeding twice a day.

Are you sure your venturi hole isn't getting clogged not allowing in air like it did in the past?

Jcm412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of putting the 1660 on my 300 gallon. Would it be enough?

I always hear you don't need to up size a Deltec.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of putting the 1660 on my 300 gallon. Would it be enough?

I always hear you don't need to up size a Deltec.
@Battlecorals Hey Adam, I know I'm digging up an older post but do you have an opinion on @Jcm412 post? I'm in a similar situation and would appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Battlecorals Hey Adam, I know I'm digging up an older post but do you have an opinion on @Jcm412 post? I'm in a similar situation and would appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Nah thats great man, Thanks for the post. I've actually got some really exciting news regarding BC and Deltec coming really soon! As for skimmer selection, I think the SCA1660 (AC version) would be a great fit on a 300 gallon system. Nearly perfect in fact.

please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns at all.

thanks again!

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah thats great man, Thanks for the post. I've actually got some really exciting news regarding BC and Deltec coming really soon! As for skimmer selection, I think the SCA1660 (AC version) would be a great fit on a 300 gallon system. Nearly perfect in fact.

please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns at all.

thanks again!
Thanks! I did quite a bit of research last night and now I'm also seriously considering a Lifereef 36 inch too. My use is for filtration for almost an entire fish room. 125 gallon FOWLR (heavy bioload), 120 mixed reef (medium bioload), 50 gallon frag (light bioload), and specimen tanks: 2x20 and 2x40 gallon. I think that equates to about a 300 gallon tank heavily stocked.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back