IMG_9863.JPG

IMG_9865.JPG

IMG_9872.JPG

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted awhile back about the Vivid Creative Aquatics Random Flow Generator. It is a 3D printed piece that is designed to randomize the flow coming out of your return. The construction of the RFG is great and it fit on my Reefer without any issues.

The reason I pulled the RFG off my system -
  • The physical size of the nozzle
  • I had to point the nozzle really low in my system to prevent air from being pushed through the nozzle. This also created another problem, with the nozzle so low and no siphon break when I did a test power outage my Gyre pumps nearly ran dry. Sure I could drill a hole in the nozzle for the siphon break. My problem with doing this is these holes require maintenance and if you don't keep them free of debris they are no good.
The owner of Vivid Creative Aquatics reached out to me and said he has some new 3D printer products. The new products allow you to snap Loc-Line onto their adapter. A lot of use reefer owners run the DIY Loc-Line mode on our systems so I was excited to see these adapters in person. They sent out the 1/2" and 3/4" Loc-Line adapters. The section that connects to the Reefer on both fittings are 25mm to give us size options. Since I have 1/2" Loc-Line on my system already that is the adapter I will be trying out.

I will update once it is installed with pictures and a video to come with my review.

IMG_9653.JPG

IMG_9654.JPG

IMG_9655.JPG

IMG_9656.JPG

IMG_9657.JPG
I was just thinking on adding the RFG to my tank until I read this. Very helpful!!!

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the hammer and torches!!

Thanks!! Working on stability so I can keep some SPS!

I was just thinking on adding the RFG to my tank until I read this. Very helpful!!!

The RFG just doesn't work for me on this size tank. Now the loc-line adapters they offer work great! I like their loc-line adapter over the threaded fitting with tape on it.

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! Working on stability so I can keep some SPS!

The RFG just doesn't work for me on this size tank. Now the loc-line adapters they offer work great! I like their loc-line adapter over the threaded fitting with tape on it.
im working on stability as well little by little i think im getting closer to it

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice shots there! Cell phone or do you use a camera? Trying to get a better handle on pictures.

Used my cell phone, point and shoot. Didn't adjust anything. Aka the lazy way! Haha

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to clean the scrubber a little bit and also turned a third light on in an effort to maybe drop phosphates. Did test nitrates and they are still zero. Going to do a water change today and may see what happens if I change to bi-weekly 5 gallon water changes.

Think I may pickup a salifert calcium and mag test kit. I'm sure it is user error, but I can't seem to get the Red Sea tests to give me a definitive answer.

IMG_9886.JPG

IMG_9887.JPG

IMG_9888.JPG

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates just tested at .06 going to do a water change tomorrow. Hopefully that puts me in a desirable range. Bought some aquavitro fuel waiting to try it out. Would like to have detectable nitrates, any suggestions on raising nitrates aside from feeding. I'd been feeling pretty heavily.

IMG_9892.PNG

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to get creative when it comes time to add any apex modules, I didn't account for that. I think I'll be fine with the space I have! I also built the removable panel backwards! Haha the cut out on the lower left was supposed to be on the right. The cabinet is the same depth as the tank stand, front panel goes to the wall. The cut out was for wires. So I'm calling this mishap a ventilation hole!

For right now zip ties are holding the panel in place. I NEVER get into the cabinet so I may leave it like that. The objective when I started this was easier access for me, better organization and most importantly keep the kids out. They have started the climbing and exploring phase & this is not a place I need them curious about!

All in all pretty happy! It took about an hour to remove all the equipment from my other cabinet and get it set back up. I'm currently using a wireless router with updated firmware for my apex network connection. I need to look at a smaller solution now.

IMG_9972.JPG

IMG_9974.JPG

IMG_9975.JPG

seanstanfield1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabinet looks great! Wouldn't have really noticed it was backwards until you said so. Lol.

I need to get a cabinet stat. Just installed the new ATO resivoir.
99d10511aa80b5c66d954a123c8dbeb3.jpg
2eadc837ac4aaa964a071758c6192795.jpg

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets out of control fast, and to be honest its a pain to move everything once it is all setup. Well it was for me! The cabinet I had before worked, and to be honest I am not in it all the time anyway so I could have kept it. The old cabinet was a pain to get cables in and out because the side panel didn't come off. With the new cabinet I can remove the side panel and stick my hand behind the tank very easily. I forgot to mention I did cut a yoga mat and put it between the new cabinet and tank as well as sat the new cabinet on a piece of yoga mat. I'll probably look at a newer battery backup with a smaller profile, that will give me some more room if I ever need it. All in all the cabinet I made cost less than the cabinet I bought. I did buy the pocket hole jig $20 and furniture grade 1/2" plywood so I wouldn't have to sand it. All in all it cost less than $50, we have the primer and paint at the house. I love little projects so it was fun to make!

Cabinet looks great! Wouldn't have really noticed it was backwards until you said so. Lol.

I need to get a cabinet stat. Just installed the new ATO resivoir.
99d10511aa80b5c66d954a123c8dbeb3.jpg
2eadc837ac4aaa964a071758c6192795.jpg

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really nice video. I wished it was out when I started my tank! Occasionally, it crosses my mind that I should do videos as notpelphrey and post all the dumb stuff I've done. Then link to the video where you did it right. [emoji23]

seanstanfield1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the aquamaxx vid. i have this Mini80 from bubblemagus and ive run rowafas and this other media (pearl something? cant remember the name) and it gets clogged fast!

i love matrix and used it in my old rsm. im going to fill this reactor with matrix and remove the filter pads.

9a9e3099a458cf2d2cf7c2ac5f8690df.jpg
9f331ccef0ce2992b1b55552155ee099.jpg

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hidden message there is... This is a winter project! haha I actually have a package coming in this week that might very well replace the reactor. I am not sure yet, we'll have to wait and see! I like to tinker!

On a side note : I had never heard of @AquaSD until last week. Needless to say I won some coral auctions on eBay, bought a few pieces off of their site and also picked up some more coral off of their Reef2Reef sale that started last night!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/8...d-sale-super-hot-aussie-lps-and-frags.319509/

Really nice video. I wished it was out when I started my tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back