IMG_1479345156.613594.jpg

It's the 120

The directions suck though

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice your gonna love it. Yeah directions suck but theres nothing to it just a few screws and adjust air

I've never used a skimmer! I understand there is a breaking period but my skimmer cup keeps filling with water no matter the adjustment I make to air. Is this normal???

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used a skimmer! I understand there is a breaking period but my skimmer cup keeps filling with water no matter the adjustment I make to air. Is this normal???

Did you give the skimmer a vinegar bath before you put it in the tank? There is that knob on top thst says open and close. So if you turn to open water level falls if you turn to close it water level rises.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JustAnt how deep is the water in your sump? I'm not familiar with that skimmer, I'm not going to be much help. @Branespikin has that skimmer though!

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn't know to give it vinegar bath first. I
Will try setting knob as described. Thanks
The way the water sits in the skimmer chamber is the reccomended height think like 7.5-8 inches. Its probably going beserk because you didnt give it a vinegar bath. Oils from factory packaging and you touching it can cause this. If by turning knob does not help keep lid off and let it break in eventually will stop. Just watch out for water splashing around your sump so you dont get Saltcreep everywhere

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way the water sits in the skimmer chamber is the reccomended height think like 7.5-8 inches. Its probably going beserk because you didnt give it a vinegar bath. Oils from factory packaging and you touching it can cause this. If by turning knob does not help keep lid off and let it break in eventually will stop. Just watch out for water splashing around your sump so you dont get Saltcreep everywhere

Thanks!!!!

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if it's manufacturer specific or not but my vertex also recommended running 24 hours with no cup and just letting it overflow from the main chamber, then running a week at minimum airflow. Still took at least the stated 2 weeks to stop getting sporadic overflows, even following all suggested best practices, but at least it wasn't constant :)

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update -

Two nights ago I was sitting at home and remembered I ordered some float switches to hookup to the Apex BOB. I'm planning on using 1 float to email me and shut off equipment if/when the sump level gets to low, as well as another float switch that will email me and shut off equipment if/when the sump level gets to high. I quickly remembered I am having a custom ATO container made and I forgot to get a float switch holder installed in the container. I quickly messaged Jake who owns Blue Tide Acrylics and asked if it was to late to get a float switch holder welded onto the back panel. Luckily the container wasn't welded together yet and he was able to make a holder! This float switch will also be wired up to the Apex BOB and notify me when the ATO container reaches the 2 gallon mark. I don't plan to be in the tank stand all the time, but at the same time I don't want to rely only on the Apex to tell me when to add water. I do know that there will be times I will forget and at the 2 gallon level if I am not home for a few days I know it will be okay!

The float switch holder Jake made for my ATO Container -
01B673DE-A73F-47F4-980E-CC5DD9C9EFB5_zpstkof1hlg.jpg

B98A1615-E1A0-4B35-80A5-428A018C81BC_zpsmhnuhfqr.jpg

I went with a 10 gallon container for a few reasons. Number one more is better, and what I mean is for me it is better to have the extra room and although it can hold 10 gallons it doesn't mean I have to put 10 gallons into it. The second reason is I am evaporating a good amount of water. The Reefer 250 reservoir is 2.1 gallons. I am using half or close to half of the 2.1 containers in a 24 hour period. Mind you I am also depending on the float switch in the sump to fill so the container may be adding a little to much. My salinity has stayed at our around 1.025, I prefer 26!

0F66910E-7AB5-420B-9262-EE5EDC98390D_zps8348sgxw.jpg

982D7108-4982-41C6-BD1A-785EC07314BD_zpsru2yrjby.jpg

I did get some new filter socks in and I need to cut the plastic frame off. I still haven't pulled the trigger on a skimmer. I should have one the first of December!

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Branespikin @JustAnt I don't believe I'll be running a 160. I think I'd rather get a smaller skimmer and run is 24/7 VS having to run the skimmer on a schedule (12 hours on/12 hours off). So now it will either be the Nyos 120 or the Deltec 1351. I keep making this decision a lot harder than it has to be!

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Branespikin @JustAnt I don't believe I'll be running a 160. I think I'd rather get a smaller skimmer and run is 24/7 VS having to run the skimmer on a schedule (12 hours on/12 hours off). So now it will either be the Nyos 120 or the Deltec 1351. I keep making this decision a lot harder than it has to be!

I looked at deltec but Nyos 120 had the smaller footprint I wanted

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back