OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Branespikin & @JustAnt the information you all are providing is invaluable! I've changed directions on my fresh water storage and will either go with a 5 gallon or 10 gallon container. The 5 gallon container will spare some room in the cabinet and the 10 gallon container would allow me to either fill it up or add 6-7 gallons. I'm still not sure which direction I want to go, I would like the extra comfort of being able to leave for a week or more without the worry on my freshwater.

I've actually been looking a the tunze 3155, I was thinking I could place the magnet in the drain section of the sump and put the sensor in the return. This is of course assuming the magnet can be placed into the water. How do you have your tunze setup in the sump?

I'm really torn on the 120 VS 160 skimmer. I know I will be stocking heavily and I would really like to practice a biweekly water change schedule.

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Branespikin & @JustAnt

I'm really torn on the 120 VS 160 skimmer. I know I will be stocking heavily and I would really like to practice a biweekly water change schedule.

For me the 120 seems large enough given it's rated for tanks up to 125 gallons but I don't know for sure. Plus as discussed in above I want to fit a reactor in the skimmer chamber so I don't like the larger footprint of the Nyos 160

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed ammonia a week or more ago, not exactly sure on the date! You can see in the picture that ammonia tested dark green. I've now hit the nitrite side of the cycle. Now more waiting!

IMG_6858.JPG

IMG_6879.JPG

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Branespikin & @JustAnt the information you all are providing is invaluable! I've changed directions on my fresh water storage and will either go with a 5 gallon or 10 gallon container. The 5 gallon container will spare some room in the cabinet and the 10 gallon container would allow me to either fill it up or add 6-7 gallons. I'm still not sure which direction I want to go, I would like the extra comfort of being able to leave for a week or more without the worry on my freshwater.

I've actually been looking a the tunze 3155, I was thinking I could place the magnet in the drain section of the sump and put the sensor in the return. This is of course assuming the magnet can be placed into the water. How do you have your tunze setup in the sump?

I got the
For me the 120 seems large enough given it's rated for tanks up to 125 gallons but I don't know for sure. Plus as discussed in above I want to fit a reactor in the skimmer chamber so I don't like the larger footprint of the Nyos 160

My boy has this nyos 120 on his 60 cube. Hes packed with coral. He had LPS at the time and said it was working so hard thst it was stripping everything from water that he had to turn it off for few hours throught the day. He convertrd to SPS now still loves the skimmer. Because of him i got the Nyos 120 because i was also debating on the 160.

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats what we are here for right?!!
I got the magnet on the glass in that area where the sponge goes i believe you said you put marine block in there. Works perfectly

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed ammonia a week or more ago, not exactly sure on the date! You can see in the picture that ammonia tested dark green. I've now hit the nitrite side of the cycle. Now more waiting!

IMG_6858.JPG

IMG_6879.JPG

Try to add biro spira. I added a bottle and my cycle was done in less than a week and I added 2 baby clowns who r thriving after a week in the tank. Now I'm letting tank mature before adding anything more

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would love to get my auto top off to last about a week I just have no clue how to accomplish that so I'm using the stock ato that lasts about 3 days

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the

My boy has this nyos 120 on his 60 cube. Hes packed with coral. He had LPS at the time and said it was working so hard thst it was stripping everything from water that he had to turn it off for few hours throught the day. He convertrd to SPS now still loves the skimmer. Because of him i got the Nyos 120 because i was also debating on the 160.

That is great to know! Hmmm My bank account likes that!

Try to add biro spira. I added a bottle and my cycle was done in less than a week and I added 2 baby clowns who r thriving after a week in the tank. Now I'm letting tank mature before adding anything more

Kind of ironic you mentioned this! I failed to release this information in the post.... But I tested the tank on Monday and got the dark green ammonia test result. That same night I dumped a bottle of bio spira into the tank. The next day ammonia is gone and nitrites went to work. I didn't test last night as I figure these nitrites will stick around for awhile. I'm running low on my nirtite/nitrate tests and really don't want to purchase anymore since I only use them when I am cycling.

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great to know! Hmmm My bank account likes that!

Kind of ironic you mentioned this! I failed to release this information in the post.... But I tested the tank on Monday and got the dark green ammonia test result. That same night I dumped a bottle of bio spira into the tank. The next day ammonia is gone and nitrites went to work. I didn't test last night as I figure these nitrites will stick around for awhile. I'm running low on my nirtite/nitrate tests and really don't want to purchase anymore since I only use them when I am cycling.

This is my 2nd success with biro spira ( knock on wood). I will always recommend it now. I also used live sand so that also helped. I never even saw nitrites. Zero every test I did for it. I bet your cycle is very close to done if not done now. Did u use live sand?

Sage Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've been wondering how to make t5 look seamless, my dad is pretty good at woodworking so I may look at making a floating canopy like brs has on there 160.

I'm thinking of going the tunze ato route too as from all I've read the reefer ato is too small. If I did I think I'd leave the reefer ato where it is drill it and plumb an input off my manafold then half full it with marine pure balls and have it as a mini fuge mainly for more bacteria and a safe place for copapods etc

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JustAnt no sand on my system. Yet anyway. Easier to run bare bottom and add sand VS having to remove the sand!

@Sage Robinson i really like the Spectrapure ATO, except it uses a section cup VS the tunze magnet!

Sage Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JustAnt no sand on my system. Yet anyway. Easier to run bare bottom and add sand VS having to remove the sand!

@Sage Robinson i really like the Spectrapure ATO, except it uses a section cup VS the tunze magnet!

That's not an ato we can get down here. If you like the magnetic mount could you try one of these magnetic smoke alarm conversions something like this and glue the suction cup to one side

IMG_1477512644.749233.jpg

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seeded the reefer with pond matrix from my current tank a few weeks back. I then dosed ammonia up to 2ppm. This past weekend I added the marine pure block, on Monday I added a bottle of Bio Spira to the tank when my ammonia still sat at or about 2ppm. I tested the water last night and my nitrites weren't off the chart but they were high. Today I tested nitrite and nitrate, as you can see in the picture my nitrites are nearly gone and my nitrates have appeared!

Now to give the tank another week or so to settle in, do a water change and move my current tank over!

IMG_6883_zpsxocgx92a.jpg

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your tank? Any update?
I'm torn again about skimmer bc I read some bad reviews about Nyos on amazon and YouTube etc

You see the video on the collection cup that was stuck on? haha! Honestly I've seen very few negative reviews on Nyos, the skimmers haven't been out long compared to some of the others but I'm not taking it to heart.

There is a lot of new stuff going on! We welcomed out second daughter into the world last Thursday. Been busy with that! I got my second Kessil mount in this past week, bought and installed an apex last night. Today I shut down my other tank and moved the coral into the reefer. Oh yeah, custom ordered a ATO container this past week!

I'm off work another week, once I'm back to work I'll update with pictures and more videos! For now I am enjoying spending time with my wife and two daughters!

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats enjoys the new baby !!

About all I got done was mount n start my BRS deluxe reactor which is running gfo and carbon. In holding pattern on skimmer till I decide

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back