OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scarybo Orifinally I was looking at the Nyos 120, now I'm looking at the 160. It will fit and have more is better, like most situations. I've looked at a lot of skimmers, RO will be my second choice. Having made a lot of mistakes on my first build I'm not rushing any purchases this time, which gives me the extra time to save the coin. To further justify the 160 over the 120 it's only $100 more. Yeah that's a $100, but I'm so deep already there is no turning back! Haha

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scarybo Orifinally I was looking at the Nyos 120, now I'm looking at the 160. It will fit and have more is better, like most situations. I've looked at a lot of skimmers, RO will be my second choice. Having made a lot of mistakes on my first build I'm not rushing any purchases this time, which gives me the extra time to save the coin. To further justify the 160 over the 120 it's only $100 more. Yeah that's a $100, but I'm so deep already there is no turning back! Haha
I like how you think. I need you to talk to my wife and explain the benefits. haha

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been buying items off BRS a lot recently so I decided to use some of my points on a 8x8x1 Marine Pure block. Between 60lbs of rock a ton of pond matrix and now this block I should be good on surface area!
IMG_6832_zpsqduo6vq1.png

I cut the block (this block cuts VERY easy with a hacksaw blade) and put it in the baffle between my skimmer and return section -
IMG_6852_zps7ffuqrfv.png

I also took this opportunity to try out the Kessil A Series mount. I never did like the gooseneck even with the 90 adapter. I really wanted to use 8020 to mount the lights, but I always wanted a way to easily remove the mount. I am up in the air on the lighting, the reason why I went with A160's is because I have another one running on my 20 gallon. Once the reefer is cycled that light will be moved over. Later next year I need to revisit my lighting. Either add a third A160 or go with two 360's.
IMG_6833_zpsgaj9y0ra.png

I haven't talked to the wife about it yet, but I really would like to build a cabinet to sit on the right hand side of the tank. The white shelves at home depot are pretty cheap and I could build one for less then $30. The purpose would be for my ATO, I would like to not have it in my stand. If I can get it outside I can use a 20 gallon container. I'll be using the GFCI outlet on the right hand side of the tank once everything is finalized and that cabniet would serve to cover that outlet up as well.
IMG_6850_zpsmk1d681q.jpg

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose would be for my ATO, I would like to not have it in my stand. If I can get it outside I can use a 20 gallon container.

Just be careful with this. Having a large ATO is nice so you dont have to worry about funnels and buckets often, but if that valve gets suck open, you could likely have a big mess on your hands quickly. I dont like having ATO containers any larger than the amount of "extra" room there is for water in my sump for this reason as well. It limits the amount of water it can dump into your system, and if that happens, it also keeps your floors from getting soaked!

I run a 5 gallon container on my 525, and I fill it about every 2-3 days. I could easily plumb it to my 40 gallon resevoir, but I like to hedge my bets just in case. Just something to think about!

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful with this. Having a large ATO is nice so you dont have to worry about funnels and buckets often, but if that valve gets suck open, you could likely have a big mess on your hands quickly. I dont like having ATO containers any larger than the amount of "extra" room there is for water in my sump for this reason as well. It limits the amount of water it can dump into your system, and if that happens, it also keeps your floors from getting soaked!

I run a 5 gallon container on my 525, and I fill it about every 2-3 days. I could easily plumb it to my 40 gallon resevoir, but I like to hedge my bets just in case. Just something to think about!

This is always a thought in my mind! I still need to iron out the details, either the Tunze 3155 or Spectrapure ATO (The Spectrapure ATO pump can also be ran dry). This would mean I am ditching the stock ATO container and float valve. I would pipe it the same way I did my cube, run the line into a larger tube/pipe into the sump. They way it doesn't create a vacuum. My other option is to buy a rectangle ATO container and put it next to my sump. Preferably I'd like at least 10 gallons in my ATO.

Before I dive any further into my ATO I'd like to pick my skimmer and purchase it. Still up in the air on that piece of equipment.

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="pelphrey, post: 3253014, member: My other option is to buy a rectangle ATO container and put it next to my sump. Preferably I'd like at least 10 gallons in my ATO.

Before I dive any further into my ATO I'd like to pick my skimmer and purchase it. Still up in the air on that piece of equipment.[/QUOTE]

U can fit a good size square ato beside the sump. See my pic of refug
Image1477317832.766360.jpg

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JustAnt I installed a panel on the wall behind the chiller compartment to hold my equipment. I'll have my apex, mp10 & mp40 controllers and anything else I accumulate on the wall. I don't want to cover it up completely, if at all (if I can get away with it).

DE463C44-63B1-4284-A071-8F726E934C13_zpscgzrthgu.jpg

Sage Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been buying items off BRS a lot recently so I decided to use some of my points on a 8x8x1 Marine Pure block. Between 60lbs of rock a ton of pond matrix and now this block I should be good on surface area!
IMG_6832_zpsqduo6vq1.png

I cut the block (this block cuts VERY easy with a hacksaw blade) and put it in the baffle between my skimmer and return section -
IMG_6852_zps7ffuqrfv.png

I also took this opportunity to try out the Kessil A Series mount. I never did like the gooseneck even with the 90 adapter. I really wanted to use 8020 to mount the lights, but I always wanted a way to easily remove the mount. I am up in the air on the lighting, the reason why I went with A160's is because I have another one running on my 20 gallon. Once the reefer is cycled that light will be moved over. Later next year I need to revisit my lighting. Either add a third A160 or go with two 360's.
IMG_6833_zpsgaj9y0ra.png

I haven't talked to the wife about it yet, but I really would like to build a cabinet to sit on the right hand side of the tank. The white shelves at home depot are pretty cheap and I could build one for less then $30. The purpose would be for my ATO, I would like to not have it in my stand. If I can get it outside I can use a 20 gallon container. I'll be using the GFCI outlet on the right hand side of the tank once everything is finalized and that cabniet would serve to cover that outlet up as well.
IMG_6850_zpsmk1d681q.jpg

What do you think of the a series mounts thinking of going this way for my two a360we. I like the look much more than the gooseneck especially with the cable management. What do you think of them? And have you seen the mount extension option I like the idea of mounting the lights completely rimless and bolted to the cabinet not the tank

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sage Robinson The A Series mounts are MUCH better when compared to the gooseneck mounts. You hit the nail on the head the cable management is the key factor with the A Series! I only bought one because I wanted to see what it was like, and I'll be getting my second one very soon! I have looked at the extensions, my only problem now would be adding them to my stand. The good thing about this size tank is the fact that I could drain the entire tank water volume into a large brute trash can, I may very well add the extensions sometime down the road like you mentioned for a cleaner look.

I'll also be looking really hard to replace the 160's with 360's but this won't happen anytime soon. For the time being I am happy with the 160's.

Sage Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sage Robinson The A Series mounts are MUCH better when compared to the gooseneck mounts. You hit the nail on the head the cable management is the key factor with the A Series! I only bought one because I wanted to see what it was like, and I'll be getting my second one very soon! I have looked at the extensions, my only problem now would be adding them to my stand. The good thing about this size tank is the fact that I could drain the entire tank water volume into a large brute trash can, I may very well add the extensions sometime down the road like you mentioned for a cleaner look.

I'll also be looking really hard to replace the 160's with 360's but this won't happen anytime soon. For the time being I am happy with the 160's.

I think you'll probably be okay with 2 160's definitely 3 unless you want completely sps dominant in which case the 160's and a couple of 36 w hot5 I'd say would be a good choice. I went with the 360's as I got an awesome deal for 1 and the spectral controller. Long term I still like the idea of supplementing with t5 for that ultra diffuse light and the shimmer and par from the kessil

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sage Robinson I like the idea of adding T5's with the Kessils. The challenge for me would be adding the T5's to the Kessil mounts and making it look like it is "supposed" to be there!

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we r at almost same stage I thought I'd mention I'm looking at the Nyos 120, deltec sca 1351 https://battlecorals.com/products/sc1350 or reef octopus 110sss http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-...-5-internal-space-saving-protein-skimmer.html

I got the Nyos 120 in my 250. So far im loving it. Dead silent. Pulling out gunk and I don't even have livestock just CUC. Few snails. With the 120 you still have room to add a reactor in there like the avast spyglass small like i did.

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great to know. Thanks! I just bought a used small spyglass reactor getting it today. I was unsure if I could fit both in the sump and really appreciate you clearing that up!

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats what i was afraid of so i went with a 5G container. I have my RODI under sink in kitchen. Its hooked up to a solenoid that works on 2 floats in my ATO container. When it empties and hits bottom float it opens the solenoid and fills container till it hits the top float and than shuts off the solenoid. This 5g container last me a week which is good for the RODI. Not too much that it created TDS creep and burn my Resin. I have 2 leak detectors to my Apex just in case. I run it on a Tunze Osmolator. Reefer 250

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6074.JPG

It fits. You just have to move around a bit to change oit socks

That is great to know. Thanks! I just bought a used small spyglass reactor getting it today. I was unsure if I could fit both in the sump and really appreciate you clearing that up!

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So excited about you confirming my exact plan. Now I'm gonna order the 120 skimmer. How do u like the spyglass reactor. I plan to use it for biopellets
No problem. This reactor is awesome. Such a breeze to change media. Its silent with the sicce syncra pump. Its best reactor so far. You will love it. I initially bought it for.bio pellets but am doing Aquaforest method now. So i use it for Carbon and GFO

Back