OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the plumbing looks difficult but it isn't, my best suggestion is to get PVC cutters. I finally did on this build because I was tired of cutting it by hand and not cutting it straight. I literally sketched out the plumbing on paper (I can't draw!) and that was good enough to show me what parts I would need. I could have very well went straight from the pump into the reefer return but I wanted to create better/more options for myself. Running it up and over allows me to push it back against the stand VS having it go straight up. Unions are a must, since I am using the soft tubing I may only use one union off of the 45 coming out of the pump.

I don't currently have a stock list, I built this system and the rock work with my main goal on coral. With that being said I started my first reef tank about a year ago, after a few months I tore the cube down that I built and sold it. I moved everything into a 20 gallon tank I built. The problem I had with the 27 gallon cube was the foot print, I know I want more fish just haven't put any thought into which ones yet!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/27-gallon-cube.207744/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/badfish-20-gallon-aio.254424/

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the plumbing looks difficult but it isn't, my best suggestion is to get PVC cutters. I finally did on this build because I was tired of cutting it by hand and not cutting it straight. I literally sketched out the plumbing on paper (I can't draw!) and that was good enough to show me what parts I would need. I could have very well went straight from the pump into the reefer return but I wanted to create better/more options for myself. Running it up and over allows me to push it back against the stand VS having it go straight up. Unions are a must, since I am using the soft tubing I may only use one union off of the 45 coming out of the pump.

I don't currently have a stock list, I built this system and the rock work with my main goal on coral. With that being said I started my first reef tank about a year ago, after a few months I tore the cube down that I built and sold it. I moved everything into a 20 gallon tank I built. The problem I had with the 27 gallon cube was the foot print, I know I want more fish just haven't put any thought into which ones yet!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/27-gallon-cube.207744/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/badfish-20-gallon-aio.254424/

Might have to look more into plumbing... I started with a 10g to a 29g then I bought a 40g breeder that I never set up (still in the attic, don't even know if it survived the 2014 earthquake) and then I got the Reefer late last year.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OxyLED T-02 PLUS 36 Bright LED Light

IMG_6603_zpsn56bblkz.png

I went with the 36 LED light ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HO1FK52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I bought 2 of these LED's, below I have only one installed.

IMG_6604_zpshosr1vm1.png

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now I have 28 gallons in the tank, I'm making my best attempt to know exactly how much water I have. I'll be making more water this weekend and more importantly finishing the plumbing!

IMG_6612_zpstbjpjuzj.png

IMG_6611_zpsijjsasbg.png

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my "leak" test. I'm doing it with RODI and mixing my salt in the tank! haha I have faith this thing will hold up!

I got my CHEAP sunsun pumps in the tank. I use these to mix salt water, can't go wrong. Got these two 800gph off ebay for $13 shipped! haha I have 2 more I may put into the tank until I figure out the direction I am going with pumps. I also have a mp10wqd and a rw4 on my 20 gallon, the mp10 will be moved over for sure.

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my "leak" test. I'm doing it with RODI and mixing my salt in the tank! haha I have faith this thing will hold up!

I got my CHEAP sunsun pumps in the tank. I use these to mix salt water, can't go wrong. Got these two 800gph off ebay for $13 shipped! haha I have 2 more I may put into the tank until I figure out the direction I am going with pumps. I also have a mp10wqd and a rw4 on my 20 gallon, the mp10 will be moved over for sure.

I just received my 2 WAVS yesterday... hoping I have time to set them up this weekend! Currently have a mp10 and a mp40 on my tank.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very curious to hear your thoughts on the WAV pumps in the 250. My original plan was the MP10 and an MP40, then I thought about the MP10 and Gyre 150. I plan to pickup an apex from a buddy who bought someone out of the hobby hopefully soon, when we started discussing the apex I looked at the WAV pumps. No pressure, your thoughts will be persuading the direction I go in! haha

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very curious to hear your thoughts on the WAV pumps in the 250. My original plan was the MP10 and an MP40, then I thought about the MP10 and Gyre 150. I plan to pickup an apex from a buddy who bought someone out of the hobby hopefully soon, when we started discussing the apex I looked at the WAV pumps. No pressure, your thoughts will be persuading the direction I go in! haha

I'll definitely post my thoughts and experience... I still need to set up my Apex and SpyGlass Reactor too!

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up changing the red PVC to blue! I may very well hard plumb directly into the reefer connection, for now I am using the soft tubing. I also built the PVC in this fashion to add gate valves down the road.
CDC66167-8A7F-42CE-9A42-9FABE1E35FFF_zpsqwz92cjc.jpg

C1D50186-4C14-4F4D-999B-515CD33BAF97_zps1vf1sey7.jpg

I cut a piece of PVC down the middle and used a heat gun to warm it up. I used this piece of PVC to cover up the soft tubing.
1F10363B-67CC-4897-99AA-D2877CA08E36_zpsyanjnom3.jpg

Reef Octopus VarioS-6 controller mounted -
B95482D4-A8EB-419A-AD37-0D744BDDD637_zpsfde94y0v.jpg

723B4DA2-7EF2-463D-8311-EFAF541EF6C1_zpsni1zzdq5.jpg

Tank was filled and salt mixed in the tank. I am using two sunsun 800gph pumps in the tank, I got both of them on eBay for $13 shipped! These are temporary until I figure out what direction I am going in.
601F14C5-9F21-471A-9599-45CC38E6A05C_zpsfhy1tign.jpg

One of the Kessils over the tank, I have another A160 on my other tank that will be moved over to the reefer. I know I won't be using this Kessil arm, I am still undecided on the more expensive kessil arms or using 8020 again for the light mounts
40D6BD36-A761-45CB-934F-FF3D37C0FE58_zpsjg0c94w8.jpg

D46CD177-A77C-416F-8280-E8A52265E680_zpspzjwdjyb.jpg

For now I am using the Red Sea ATO, this will be addressed later in the build!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work. You mentioned previously you are considering creating a manifold. Where were you planning on placing it. The far left wall? I am hoping to build a manifold if I get the 250. The concern I have is where the sump has the return pump limits the options compared to the 350.

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work. You mentioned previously you are considering creating a manifold. Where were you planning on placing it. The far left wall? I am hoping to build a manifold if I get the 250. The concern I have is where the sump has the return pump limits the options compared to the 350.

I'm new to the plumbing aspect. What is the purpose of the manifold in the RSR 250? I have a 250 as well but return pump just goes to the stock return pipe.

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the plumbing aspect. What is the purpose of the manifold in the RSR 250? I have a 250 as well but return pump just goes to the stock return pipe.
Manifold allows you to use your return pump to feed reactors, skimmers, or anything you would use a pump to feed. By reducing the number of pumps you can reduce heat, electricity, and maximize space. Rea Sea Reefers weak point is sump size. I want to keep pumps at a minimum.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The union right above the return pump allows me to pull all of the plumbing out. I built it this way to later add gate valves to create the manifold, with the way it is situated I know I can get at least two gate valves installed. Otherwise I would have gone straight up into the return nozzle, the four 90's I have installed reduce the amount of flow. Which is fine, I am not looking for a HUGE sump turn over rate.

Blue piping looks great, very clean.
Thanks! I actually do prefer it over the red!

Just as @Scarybo said running a manifold will reduce the number of pumps I have plugged into the outlets and in the sump. I know at some point I will be adding a reactor to this system, when that time comes I will modify my plumbing and add gate valves to it!

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The union right above the return pump allows me to pull all of the plumbing out. I built it this way to later add gate valves to create the manifold, with the way it is situated I know I can get at least two gate valves installed. Otherwise I would have gone straight up into the return nozzle, the four 90's I have installed reduce the amount of flow. Which is fine, I am not looking for a HUGE sump turn over rate.

Just as @Scarybo said running a manifold will reduce the number of pumps I have plugged into the outlets and in the sump. I know at some point I will be adding a reactor to this system, when that time comes I will modify my plumbing and add gate valves to it!

Look forward to seeing that.... I may copy since I plan on using brs deluxe reactor to run carbon n gfo and something else for biopellets if it fits in sump

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The clamps you are using to secure the plumbing on the wall are nice. May I ask where you found them. Also is that wall an additional piece you added so you dont drill the stand?

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look forward to seeing that.... I may copy since I plan on using brs deluxe reactor to run carbon n gfo and something else for biopellets if it fits in sump

I am a little behind on my videos, but I will have a video coming out better explaining the hard plumbing and my plans!

The clamps you are using to secure the plumbing on the wall are nice. May I ask where you found them. Also is that wall an additional piece you added so you dont drill the stand?

I bought all of the plumbing from @Bulk Reef Supply ( http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sm-clamp-for-pvc-pipe.html ). You are correct, I picked up some white shelves at home depot and cut them to length, I did use double side tape for the left hand side. I really don't want to drill into the stand if I don't have to, and since the door latch prevents the sump from fitting against the wall there was plenty of room to add this "wall".

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back