OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the media bag of pond matrix out of my 20 gallon tank into the sump of the reefer on Monday night, last night ran an ammonia test. Ammonia read .04-.08 I did add about 10 drops of ammonia to the tank. I'll test ammonia again on Thursday or Friday evening. I had about 2.5 hand fulls of matrix in my 20 for months now so it should be well established. The rock in my 20 just recently started growing coralline algae, I don't have any plans to move all of this rock over into the reefer, but I will probably move a piece or 2 over in the coming weeks.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this and it works perfect!! I actually like the BRS filter socks way better!!
Thanks for the video

Perfect! I think its a great deal, you can get 2 BRS socks for the price of one Red Sea sock. It's really hard to beat and if you cut it carefully you'll save yourself some hassle, unlike the second sock I cut! haha

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! I think its a great deal, you can get 2 BRS socks for the price of one Red Sea sock. It's really hard to beat and if you cut it carefully you'll save yourself some hassle, unlike the second sock I cut! haha

I cut mine with regular scissors and it was pretty easy... it actually came out better than the your second one. lol

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice work. I used fluval sea epoxy stick to bond my peak rock to a shelf rock.it worked well. It dries white so I covered it with ruble pieces like u did
efa34b49283dcf16d629334030f5a366.jpg
d75320d21c5f0d3e435f39a3bd0dd422.jpg

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome! I wanted to use less rock, but in the end I knew I wanted the real estate. No going back now! Haha

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!
The right hand side is a work in progress. I'm pulling about 15 pounds of live rock from my other tank to build a structure on the right. Not sure what I'll come up with. But people seem to like it as is so who knows what I'll do.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JustAnt Ive been running it for a few weeks now, dead silent! I have no complaints at this point.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scarybo it is a 1700+ gph pump of course minus head loss. With Red Sea suggestion of 660gph I think I will get enough flow. We'll find out once I get reactors, that's still down the road. I'm running it on setting 3 of 5 currently.

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many others with RSR 250's are using manifold setup. I like the concept but haven't seen others doing it besides you. I would try it myself but I'm horrible at anything plumbing. What reactors r u planning for? I just got the deluxe BRS reactor to run carbon and gfo together. Still need a biopellet reactor and skimmer that with fit in the small sump.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how many others are running manifolds. As of right now I'm unsure on the Reactor, I'm leaning towards the spectrapure. It is 2 canisters but each has their one flor adjustment. I still need to get my skimmer, and figure out my ATO container.

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered that spectra but decided it was overkill for my plans though I liked it. I watched BRS video and they show how to run carbon and gfo in a single canister reactor which was what persuaded me to go the direction I did. I'm using the standard auto in my set up ( probably till I see yours that I'll like better[emoji1303][emoji3])

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered that spectra but decided it was overkill for my plans though I liked it. I watched BRS video and they show how to run carbon and gfo in a single canister reactor which was what persuaded me to go the direction I did. I'm using the standard auto in my set up ( probably till I see yours that I'll like better[emoji1303][emoji3])

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JustAnt I ran the BRS mini reactor on the cube I had setup a year ago with both GFO and carbon in it. I may revisit the idea and run one reactor for both media's - problem is when one exhausts they both have to be replaced. At the moment I have no need for a media reactor so I'll be spending that money in a different area. But I have set myself up to easily add a reactor(s) down the road. If the need arises I'll probably run carbon in a media bag in the drain section at first.

The big ticket items I still need -
Skimmer
ATO Container and possibly a new ATO

I have an MP40wQD on the way and I'll be moving my MP10wQD over into the reefer when it is done cycling. I also should be picking up an Apex Classic this weekend or at the very least very soon. I knew I would be getting a controller it just wasn't high on my list. A local guy has one so I'm going to grab it, I'll be able to run my VarioS-6 return pump off the VDM and get ride of my Kessil controller and use the Apex for my lights. The most important part is I'll have control over the heaters. Those few reason's listed pretty well pay for themselves!

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JustAnt I ran the BRS mini reactor on the cube I had setup a year ago with both GFO and carbon in it. I may revisit the idea and run one reactor for both media's - problem is when one exhausts they both have to be replaced. At the moment I have no need for a media reactor so I'll be spending that money in a different area. But I have set myself up to easily add a reactor(s) down the road. If the need arises I'll probably run carbon in a media bag in the drain section at first.

The big ticket items I still need -
Skimmer
ATO Container and possibly a new ATO

I have an MP40wQD on the way and I'll be moving my MP10wQD over into the reefer when it is done cycling. I also should be picking up an Apex Classic this weekend or at the very least very soon. I knew I would be getting a controller it just wasn't high on my list. A local guy has one so I'm going to grab it, I'll be able to run my VarioS-6 return pump off the VDM and get ride of my Kessil controller and use the Apex for my lights. The most important part is I'll have control over the heaters. Those few reason's listed pretty well pay for themselves!
Pelphrey what skimmer do you like? I like the Nyos but it seems like overkill for a system this size. Also dont know if I can sell the wife on Nyos. If not that would probably go with Reef Octopus.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back