Diagrams: How RO/DI Systems Work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Very cool!

bobbravo2

Bob from Boston
View Badges
Reaction score
Your diagram is incorrect. The water flows through the outside of the cartriges into the center, not through the bottom as pictured. If water went through the bottom, it wouldn't be filtered.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Your diagram is incorrect. The water flows through the outside of the cartriges into the center, not through the bottom as pictured. If water went through the bottom, it wouldn't be filtered.

We have actually been discussing this internally.
scratchchin.gif

After some deliberation we found that displaying the path of water this way paints a more clear picture of how the water flows through the entire system. We added arrows a few different ways, even on the TFC membrane and it ended up getting confusing in terms of following the water through the system.

Maybe we can do a future diagram about how each stage works to remove impurities and get into more details about what actually happens inside each stage.

Thanks for the feedback here and I appreciate you checking out the diagram!

-Robert @ MD

DinoS

View Badges
Reaction score
If I wanted to put a T to make drinking water where would I do that? Mine is currently has a T to do this but wanted to make sure I did it in the right spot.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
If I wanted to put a T to make drinking water where would I do that? Mine is currently has a T to do this but wanted to make sure I did it in the right spot.
There are actually two different spots that you can T-off for drinking water. The easiest place would be between the carbon and membrane as this will still have normal pressure coming out of it. The other location that you can do it is on the product water line between the membrane and DI cartridge. Putting it here will give you cleaner drinking water, but will also mean that the water comes out at very low pressure. Often times people will actually hook the system up to a reservoir for drinking water which lets you store the water that is slowly made and then dispense it at high pressure.

bobbravo2

Bob from Boston
View Badges
Reaction score
We have actually been discussing this internally.
scratchchin.gif

After some deliberation we found that displaying the path of water this way paints a more clear picture of how the water flows through the entire system. We added arrows a few different ways, even on the TFC membrane and it ended up getting confusing in terms of following the water through the system.

Maybe we can do a future diagram about how each stage works to remove impurities and get into more details about what actually happens inside each stage.

Thanks for the feedback here and I appreciate you checking out the diagram!

-Robert @ MD

Agreed. It may make it more confusing overall. Thanks for the response

DinoS

View Badges
Reaction score
There are actually two different spots that you can T-off for drinking water. The easiest place would be between the carbon and membrane as this will still have normal pressure coming out of it. The other location that you can do it is on the product water line between the membrane and DI cartridge. Putting it here will give you cleaner drinking water, but will also mean that the water comes out at very low pressure. Often times people will actually hook the system up to a reservoir for drinking water which lets you store the water that is slowly made and then dispense it at high pressure.

Thank you for the reply, This would be between the membrane and the last reservoir (DI) correct?

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, This would be between the membrane and the last reservoir (DI) correct?
That is correct. The cleanest water that is ideal for drinking would come from between the membrane and the DI. This is also the area where the water would have very low pressure which is why a drinking reservoir is often installed.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back