Diamond Goby with new live sand..?

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'd like to get a diamond goby for my reefer 350. Its up and running 2 months now nearly.

Thing is, I have a low sand bed, less than 1 inch. I've ordered some caribsea live special grade and want to raise that to 1.5 - 2 inches.

Question is, do I need to let that new sand do its thing for a while before adding the goby? Or can I add him in soon after, once I spot feed with some pellets..?

thanks

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I love my goby. Pellets probably are not going to meet his needs. I have had mine close to 2 years now. Here are few things I have found that have kept mine happy.

First make sure your rock work has a solid foundation on glass. He will dig out sand under rock, if the rock isn’t on the glass it may tip. My bed goes from 1” to 2.5 inches in places. Once he moves it, I leave it until cleaning time. I don’t try and fix it daily or move it around otherwise. Have a good top to avoid jumping. Have a good variety of some frozen brine, mysis, and some other meaty food that will land and eventually make its way under the surface for him to forage.

If you get him eating and comfortable in his environment to make his own houses he will be fine.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamond goby in quarantine right now while my tank goes fallow for velvet. I don't have a sand bed in there and he learned to eat pellets, mysis, and nori like the rest of my fish. He lost a lot of weight prior to quarantine because my sand bed was covered in dinos and he wouldn't touch it. Now he's actually gained a little bit of weight again.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a thin sand bed too. I feed mine frozen twice a day and he still spends the rest of the day moving sand around. I think he will be fine if you feed him for a while and allow the sand to “mature”. He also shares the left over angel fish frozen with my mandarin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
there is live culture bacteria in the sand. Allow it to establish and build culture before being disturbed

OP
OP
P

peterire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm getting he impression a diamond will be fine with partially new live sand. Once I keep him well fed.

I've added one bag of Carib Sea special grade just now. Its around 1 - 1.5inches I would say. I have another bag, but not sure I need it really.

sand.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back