Did you drill your own tank?

Sammierich11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I have decided to start a saltwater tank (currently have 3 freshwater), and I’ve been learning all I can for about 2 weeks, but I am not ready to take the plunge...

I still need to buy everything, and first off is the tank. I have a few questions:

1. As a beginner reefer, and looking at a 40-60gal, what is the best option: DIY Drilled, AIO, or preowned (and drilled)?

2.What equipment do I need for start up and cycling?

3. What advice would you give me starting out? Any advice is appreciated. I don’t want to get overwhelmed, and I want to love this hobby!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grinding a hole in an expensive tank for the first time does require a bit of intestinal fortitude, but it is actually quite simple if you follow a few basic guidelines. I’m not personally a fan of the AIO tanks, though as a beginner you might want to consider buying a reef ready tank in the 40-60 gallon range.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now drilled several tanks. Like all things it gets easier with practice.
I just put up a 29 gallon with a simple standpipe drain.
IMG_2051-L.jpg

I am putting water in it with a Maxijet 1200 with a piece of vinyl tube over the top.
The same system I used on this tank for years
IMG_1145-M.jpg

If you are handy you can by a tank and drill it and make a stand.
I learned to do a lot of things by doing stuff myself.
or
You can get a 75 with stand at Petsmart for $299 and drill it yourself
59119415300__70EB79F0-C0D0-4805-9527-3E5F2261DCE0-M.jpg

2 Cheap Black box lights, a 20 gallon in the bottom for a sump, heater, skimmer ATO and small trashcan for an ATO container and you are off. Don't forget the RODI filter.

Last edited:

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R @Sammierich11 !!! The 40g Breeder is a great option. I drilled the tank myself and wasn't that hard at all. You can look at my Build thread for some ideas and I also start the tank with a low budget.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40B is an excellent beginner tank and is $50 roughly during Petco's dollar gallon sale. I went that route and will never go back to a sumpless or AIO tank. Just take your time drilling and use plenty of water

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first is your worst. Feeling anyway. I drilled a hole into the back overflow area of my 60 cube for the return. No issues. When I drilled holes for my ghost overflow on my 220 one of them had a huge chip on the inside of the tank. I used painter's tape to make a dam and windshield repair epoxy to fill the chip. Never an issue 2.5 years later.

There are risks, of course, just do your best to no rush it and apply any pressure. Let the weight of the drill do the work while you focus on making sure it's as level as possible and well lubricated.

Regarding AIO's, I started with a 32gal BioCube and loved it. As long as you keep up on water changes with that size tank and run an ATO, there's practically nothing else you need to do. I'm actually thinking of getting another as an upstairs tank. Nothing wrong with preowned as long as it holds water and the silicone looks at least decent. My current 220 was pre owned. Yes, it has a few scratches, so look for that and decide if it's a deal breaker for you. Nobody has ever commented on my scratches(which aren't bad), only on the livestock.

For cycling, I've used pure ammonia and bacteria in a bottle. I usually buy 2-3 kinds of bacteria products in the hope that I'm introducing some diversity. If you're feeling frisky and patient, get some live rock from a store, or even better a vendor that farms it in the ocean, and start it off that way. Fair warning, you will need to monitor for pests like mantis shrimp, crabs, and other pest hitch hikers, but the biodiversity from the ocean is unparalleled. For LR from a store, keep the tank fallow for 72 days after adding the LR.

For general equipment, you'll need the tank, sump(unless AIO), return pump, power head, and light. What type of light and power head(s) will depend on if, and what kind, of corals you want to keep. You can buy a pre made sump or build your own. I've always built my own as I'm too cheap to pay 400 and up for something I can make for well under 100. You'll likely want a protein skimmer as well.

For general advice? Take it slow. Be patient. Buy once, cry once. Don't stay away from used equipment, but be careful. Research, research, research. Don't be afraid to ask any question here, but do try to use the search feature first :). Have fun! It's a wonderful and rewarding hobby.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back