Different filtration options for Nano Tanks

nanoreefer23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nano ReefCasa Studio 12 gallon which I love because it’s more lagoon style. Biggest problem is the filter chamber is about 3x3 and I’d love to get an auto fleece roller but I cant find any that would fit. The filter floss starts clogging in a day and a half which is fine but I need to travel a lot lately so I’ve been using a small piece of porous sponge filter at the back so that if it clogs it’ll go through the sponge. Otherwise it drops the water level in my sump and my ato starts diluting my saltwater. Any ideas?

OP
OP
N

nanoreefer23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be okay? I do have two seeded bio bricks in the filter compartment and a mini internal skimmer and seeded ceramic beed style bio media in the middle compartment.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't say what's in the reef. 20 fish and a bunch of corals or a clownfish and some rocks ?

You can easily skip the mechanical filtration for days/weeks if the tanks not heavily loaded and high maintenance when you are there to take care of it.

OP
OP
N

nanoreefer23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be okay? I do have two seeded bio bricks in the filter compartment and a mini internsk skimmer and seeded ceramic beed style bio media in the middle compartment.
You didn't say what's in the reef. 20 fish and a bunch of corals or a clownfish and some rocks ?

You can easily skip the mechanical filtration for days/weeks if the tanks not heavily loaded and high maintenance when you are there to take care of it.
I have 2 clown fish
1 small bubble tip anenome,
10 small coral frags.
CUC: 2 turbo snails, two trochus snails, 2 red legged hermit crabs, 2 blue legged hermit crabs and a tiger conch.

Haven’t had any issues with parameters. Phosphates may actually be lower than I’d like but a lot of crud obviously gets into my filter pad clogging it. Bio diversity is likely quite high. I have a a pretty hefty bio filter for the tank size.

OP
OP
N

nanoreefer23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be okay? I do have two seeded bio bricks in the filter compartment and a mini internsk skimmer and seeded ceramic beed style bio media in the middle compartment.

I have 2 clown fish
10 small coral frags.
CUC: 2 turbo snails, two trochus snails, 2 red legged hermit crabs, 2 blue legged hermit crabs and a tiger conch.

Haven’t had any issues with parameters. Phosphates may actually be lower than I’d like but a lot of crud obviously gets into my filter pad clogging it. Bio diversity is likely quite high. I have a a pretty hefty bio filter for the tank size.
Also it’s only a 12 gallon AIO tank.

OP
OP
N

nanoreefer23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the tidal version. I found the filtration to be frustrating as well until I realized the media basket was the problem. Are you using the filtration organizer? How did you place your floss?
The reef casa has a metal plate where I put two bio bricks under and on the metal plate I put the filter floss and a small bag of carbon matrix. I have a mini q skimmer in the middle chamber which actually works quite well.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef casa has a metal plate where I put two bio bricks under and on the metal plate I put the filter floss and a small bag of carbon matrix. I have a mini q skimmer in the middle chamber which actually works quite well.
Did the same thing with the filter floss on top of plate. The main issue is how thick the filter floss being used. It can start blocking the return outlet fast nor does it allow the water flow completely over the whole floss.. So its quick to clog. Place the filter underneath the plate cover and see how it works out well..

OP
OP
N

nanoreefer23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 2 clown fish
10 small coral frags.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubble tip anemone is consuming the phosphates. It's not uncommon for coral farms to run sumps full of bubble tip anemones because they're a great way to consume and export phosphates.

You've have a good clean up crew and if you're clogging regular filter floss you should try a multi-layer filter pad and change it often when you're around. Just pull it out when you're going to be away.

I run a small piece of filter pad for a day, toss it out and then run without any for the rest of the week.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back