OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some better pic with white lights on.

zvbsEic.jpg

cmhY6i7.jpg

LQsmxgR.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your OP I would be surprised if it’s dinos, sounds more like diatoms, they should go themselves as long as your water change water isn’t high in silicates, which if your old tank was clear then it is probably fine and just a new tank thing.

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your OP I would be surprised if it’s dinos, sounds more like diatoms, they should go themselves as long as your water change water isn’t high in silicates, which if your old tank was clear then it is probably fine and just a new tank thing.
Kind of I hoped but everyone that we have talked to said dino..... Is there any concern over zoas not opening and being covered with the brown slime? the candy cane, aycans and some zoas seem unaffected by it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is fine for nitrate
Hanna HI774 is needed to test low range phosphates

Whichever tank has the most nutrient would be my answer. Feed the fish every couple of hours. They produce the needed ammoniums to keep corals going just fine in the absence of nitrates and phosphates. Better still, dosing the NeoNitro and NeoPhos will get you there even quicker.

This is ostreopsis dinos. Is this what you saw?

If we can confirm the presence of dino -- and the TYPE of dino, we can be more specific.

Is the video above what you saw under the microscope?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of I hoped but everyone that we have talked to said dino..... Is there any concern over zoas not opening and being covered with the brown slime? the candy cane, aycans and some zoas seem unaffected by it.
I never got dinos from anything you said, your cycle sounds very good and you were adding plenty of nutrients etc from the start.

Zoas can be tricky, try and keep your corals clear if you can, could be more that they are in a new tank than the diatoms irritating them, hard to say.

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got dinos from anything you said, your cycle sounds very good and you were adding plenty of nutrients etc from the start.

Zoas can be tricky, try and keep your corals clear if you can, could be more that they are in a new tank than the diatoms irritating them, hard to say.
Take a quick look at the pics I just posted with only the white light on and let me know what you think. The white eggcrate seems to be the best view of the brown slime.

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we can confirm the presence of dino -- and the TYPE of dino, we can be more specific.

Is the video above what you saw under the microscope?
Yes that looked almost identical. I am going to try to spend some more time on the microscope to see if I can get a better view. The only thing is the no scope tests did not bubble with H2O2 or clump together in a bowl.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a quick look at the pics I just posted with only the white light on and let me know what you think. The white eggcrate seems to be the best view of the brown slime.
Hard to tell from a picture but from your rocks there looks to be plenty of nutrients in there so again leads me to think it’s not dinos.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from a picture but from your rocks there looks to be plenty of nutrients in there so again leads me to think it’s not dinos.
Fair point. The system is so new and void that nature is scrambling hard in many directions to fill that void. I am a fan of film algae (like on that rock) and bacterial film. They are a healthy beginning. Plastics are the last to grow them though sometimes.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms
Normal “ish” on new, unbalanced water.
Somethings up in your chemistry.
Looks like high phosphate and maybe out of spectrum light.
Seems yellowish.
Rocks should not be green.

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday I moved to 11am to 4pm on blue LEDs only. Today I came home just as light turned off and the brown mess was minimal. Thanks for all the input. I think I will ramp the blues back up to 10 hours. My next task will be finding a good length and intensity on the white, its a viparspectra 300w that is 30" above the water to maximize the spread of the LEDs

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 47 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back