Dino - Time to go to war

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will log my progress on this thread so I can see what I did and what the result will be when it's all said and done.

Background
I have been battling Dino for a while now (8+ months). I think I have an idea where it came from. I believe, (I could be wrong though), it came with a Pink Birdsnest frag that I got from a local reefer. During that time I had a slight nutrient issue (tank neglected due to work) which caused GHA. I did several water changes over 2 weeks, ran GFO, over skimmed, and manually removed the gha. My tank was cleared of GHA. Doing all these caused my NO3 and PO4 to hit rock bottom, 0 ppm. This is the beginning of dino.

At first I was little surprised thinking it might be diatom. This tank has been setup for almost 2 years. I went through the uglies like everyone else. Things settled down, I started growing some zoas, euphyllias, Acros etc etc etc. Everything was going as well as it could. So seeing these brown stuff on the sand had me surprised. I was trying to figure out if my tank was going through a 2nd cycle.

I did what I always do, I ran to R2R and finally got an ID. What you know, I have dino. Before I could tackle dino, I had to go out of state for work. When I returned after 3 weeks my tank was covered in Dino, GHA and a new addition - Bryopsis. At this point dino wasn't looking too bad but the bryopsis and GHA was taking over my tank. I started dosing fluconazole to battle bryopsis, which worked, but Dino took over with Cyano. I was ready to take a sledge hammer to the tank and call it quits. As much as I like this hobby, I was done with it. I couldn't manage time or patience to deal with this. During this time I was speaking with @mcarroll who kept encouraging me not to quit the hobby. I guess he could tell, how much I really like this hobby even after all the pain and suffering. In between all these I have seeded the tank 2 or 3 times with pods, since I believe dinos kept killing all the pods.

I took care of Cyano, I got rid of GHA, killed off bryopsis. I was left with Dino. And in last 7 ~ 8 months I have tried everything from multiple lights out, vacuuming sand, scrubbing rocks, dosing H2O2, 4 hrs lighting period, 6 hours lighting period, lower intensity, higher intensity. Ran crabon, no crabon, GFO, no-GFO.

Finally something seem to work, which was NO3 and PO4 dosing. The rock started clearing out but sand was still fully covered. I was trying to maintain NO3 between 8-10ppm and PO4 between 0.03 - 0.10ppm. Well that made GHA and Bryopsis comeback (I guess fluco never fully cured bryopsis even after 3 weeks). So back in August I dosed Fluco AGAIN. Past Monday was end of 3 weeks. 99% of my Bryopsis are gone. Now this is the last battle I fight before I really break everything down.

Battle Plan
I am doing 3 days lights out right now, after that I plan on vacuuming the sand on Sunday. I will siphon out as much as I can on Sunday. I am also doing a big (40%) water change on Sunday. I know I am not supposed to do a water change. But the way I see it, I am starting my fight against dino on Sunday, and also the fact that I have dosed fluconazole over 3 weeks ago I want that out of my system. I am leaving the UV running during the lights out. Wet Skim and UV from then on with H2O2 dosing (2ml/gl). I know I am going to catch a lot of flack for the H2O2 dosage amount. Honestly, I am nervous myself.

The way I see this, I don't have a whole lot of coral left, since I lost most of it to Dino. I actually do not have a lot to lose right now. I believe my fishes will be fine. I will probably break up the dosage and do half in the morning, and half at night during lights out. We will see how that works out. Hopefully my ORA Red planet, Rainbow Pocci and ORA Frogskin frags will survive this. These are only 3 frags I care about. My main concern (don't laugh) is my Ocellaris pair, since the kids picked em. I have a run of the mill ocellaris paired with a darwin ocellaris, which is how the kids wanted it. The way I understand it, no fishes should be effected. SPS might RTN, LPS should be unhappy but survive.

My Current Params:
Salanity: 1.026
PO4: 0ppm
NO3: 3ppm (we will assume 0ppm)
Alk: 9
Cal: 390 (Need to look into this, but not worried right now)
pH: fluctuating a lot lately between 7.8 ~ 8.1 ( Not worried right now, but not good either)

After hearing all the horror stories I don't want to go the DinoX route yet. But if nothing works, that will be my last option before I go get the sledge hammer. :(

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound somewhat like I did a year or so ago. I wish you the best of luck and I know how frustrating it is. I battled for approximately 6 months and I'm sure it was dumb luck, but I finally won. My reef is still recovering... All LPS are good and roughly 50% of my SPS are happy and fully colored. The other 50% are either frags from the original mother colony and small or not fully colored and still rather drab. I tried it all black outs, peroxide, DinoX etc. The final assault was with bleach. All coral survived the bleach, have a pair of clowns and several BTA's that survived as well... My mandarin did not survive I'm regretful to report and that was my only loss

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound somewhat like I did a year or so ago. I wish you the best of luck and I know how frustrating it is. I battled for approximately 6 months and I'm sure it was dumb luck, but I finally won. My reef is still recovering... All LPS are good and roughly 50% of my SPS are happy and fully colored. The other 50% are either frags from the original mother colony and small or not fully colored and still rather drab. I tried it all black outs, peroxide, DinoX etc. The final assault was with bleach. All coral survived the bleach, have a pair of clowns and several BTA's that survived as well... My mandarin did not survive I'm regretful to report and that was my only loss
Thank you. I hope I win this one. I was trying to avoid bleach. For some reason, bleach in a tank scares me. Yet, I am dosing crap load of H2O2. If I could find a way, I'd go towards natural cure. Dosing NO3 and PO4 everyday than testing everyday gets old. I tried that for 2-3 straight weeks. But it could take months to cure.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the scourge of the devil pop up in my tank this past Spring. I started with a round of Metroplex. After a week or so of dosing the Metro I didn't notice much change. I then decide to hook up my UV temporarily ( took down because of limited space ) and run it during the night on a timer when the dinos are in the water column. I would use the turkey baster to blast whatever was covered with dinos to get it into the water column before the lights turned off and the UV turned on. I also had the drain from the UV go into the filter sock that I would change out everyday. I did this for two weeks until there was no sign of the dinos and continued running the UV at night for another week more before breaking down the UV set up. No trace of dinos since doing this...knock on wood. Mine started the same way, No3 & Po4 at 0.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jd371 Did you dose anything when you ran the UV? Like metro or h2O2? I am going to take a turkey baster and blast my rocks and sand. But I am planning on starting peroxide starting tonight.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can read lots of results of folks trying h2o2, bleach and metro of twilliards big dino thread. Without nailing the supporting infrastucture we've been working on, those are all very temporary.

I think h2o2 is the best of them if you're going to try one. Forget metro. Bleach I'm on the fench about....can't see using it if h2o2 is available.

MOM's Organic Market sells h2o2 without stabilizers, BTW. Just remember that it's about 10x more potent.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed 25ml of H2O2 this morning, planning on dosing 25ml when I get home tonight.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jd371 Did you dose anything when you ran the UV? Like metro or h2O2? I am going to take a turkey baster and blast my rocks and sand. But I am planning on starting peroxide starting tonight.
I dosed Metro at first, but after a week of no change to the dinos I ran GAC to remove the Metro and that's when I hooked up the UV. For the three weeks I used the UV I didn't dose anything.

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrapped the tank in black plastic, I also used Dr Tims Refresh and waste away. It is about a 14 day process, if you are interested I will post the whole procedure. It worked for me.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fr4nkthet4nk Thank you for sharing this. Couple of things I am doing different, 1. My dosage is lot stronger, 2. I am trying my best not to remove the sand, that will be a painful process. However, I think I am going to give Vibrant a try. How did you like using vibrant? I was planning on using MB7.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrapped the tank in black plastic, I also used Dr Tims Refresh and waste away. It is about a 14 day process, if you are interested I will post the whole procedure. It worked for me.
How long did you do the blackout? I am doing a 3day blackout, but I am taking out the cover for 5-10 minutes a day to go blast the sand and the rocks. I'd really appreciate if you shared your experience with these plague. How long have you been Dino free?

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually surprised that people actually read that long butt intro. :D I tried to be as detailed as possible, so I knew what hell I was doing. LOL. with family, kids, work it is easy for me to forget sometimes things that I have done in the tank. :(:eek:

Fr4nkthet4nk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fr4nkthet4nk Thank you for sharing this. Couple of things I am doing different, 1. My dosage is lot stronger, 2. I am trying my best not to remove the sand, that will be a painful process. However, I think I am going to give Vibrant a try. How did you like using vibrant? I was planning on using MB7.
I love it!

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of dinos are you dealing with?

I have fought dinos for a long time and am just now having some success. As far as peroxide dosing, I went as high as 3ml/10gal twice a day m, only things I lost were my 2 black longspine urchins and cleaner shrimp. Unfortunately, dinos were on the list of things not impacted. The worst thing for my tank I dosed was metro. Don't know if I got a bad batch or what but I lost some fish and most of my remaining sps. Blackouts, from 3 days to as long as 8 days never had any lasting effects.

As far as what has been working; I upsized my UV from a 57 watt to 114 watt unit and plumbed it into my return piping (on a 270 gal tank). After turning it on I started blasting my rocks with powerhead each night after lights out. Within a week i could find no trace of living Ostreopsis, Coolia or Prorocentrum dinos. Still had 2 species of amphidinium though that were alive and well.

I have been using Dino-X for the remaining dinos and am having success. I tested it first on a slide and then a couple drops in my sample cup and the Amphidinium stopped moving right away. I treated my 50g tank I moved some corals into (8 doses over 16 days) with no ill effects (no fish in the tank though) and it took care of the dinos. I have just started dosing in my main tank, will be doing 3rd dose tonight. I am already seeing significant improvement and so far no negative impacts.

Just sharing my experiences in hopes it helps.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have had a low po4 and no3 than micro diversity is also lacking . Seeing hair algea back is a good sign. Restoring the missing diversity will also help. @mcarroll is also a big help and a wonderful resource

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the procedure,

We have had good success using Re-Fresh followed by Waste-Away but incorporating a black out period.

Basically

Day 1:
wrap the tank in black plastic, turn off the lights - no light get into the tank
add Re-Fresh full dose, turn skimmer off 2-3 hours

Day 2:
Add another Re-Fresh dose, turn skimmer off 2-3 hours

Day 3:

Day 4:
If the tank inhabitants can handle it dose Re-Fresh one more time
If not, remove black plastic, siphon as much debris out
Turn skimmer off and add Waste-Away 1/5 dose - observe tank. If water starts to turn hazy turn skimmer on ASAP or else after 2-3 hours

Days 5-7:
Turn skimmer off and add Waste-Away slowly increase dose - observe tank. If water starts to turn hazy turn skimmer on ASAP or else after 2-3 hours

Day 8:
wrap the tank in black plastic, turn off the lights - no light get into the tank

Day 9:

Day 10:

Day 11:
Turn skimmer off and add Waste-Away 1/5 dose - observe tank. If water starts to turn hazy turn skimmer on ASAP or else after 2-3 hours

Days 12-14:
Turn skimmer off and add Waste-Away slowly increase dose - observe tank. If water starts to turn hazy turn skimmer on ASAP or else after 2-3 hours

Day 15; Tank should be looking much better and dino gone!

You have to increase the Waste-Away each day or dose 2-3 times a day just a little. One customer put it on a drip system which worked great.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the procedure,

We have had good success using Re-Fresh followed by Waste-Away but incorporating a black out period.

Basically

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

Days 5-7:

Day 8:

Day 9:

Day 10:

Day 11:

Days 12-14:

Day 15; Tank should be looking much better and dino gone!

You have to increase the Waste-Away each day or dose 2-3 times a day just a little. One customer put it on a drip system which worked great.
WOW! Thank you so much for that detailed explanation. So you didn't use any UV, and pretty much everything was handled by blackout and refresh? Also no h2o2?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back