Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

ImpossibleKid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot I will buy the 55w unit and let you guys know how it worked.
Aside from the heat issues, you should also know that the Jebao 55w UV is huge, at least much larger than I was expecting at about two feet long. Just a heads up so you can think about where you'll put it. That said, it does absolutely work wonders on Ostreopsis as others have shared, especially for the price.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the heat issues, you should also know that the Jebao 55w UV is huge, at least much larger than I was expecting at about two feet long. Just a heads up so you can think about where you'll put it. That said, it does absolutely work wonders on Ostreopsis as others have shared, especially for the price.
Thanks I was thinking to put it hang on the side of the tank or up and use a pump directly from my tank not from the sump or how do you recomend using it?

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I was thinking to put it hang on the side of the tank or up and use a pump directly from my tank not from the sump or how do you recomend using it?

I plumbed my UV off a manifold on the return so I can regulate flow separately. The main thing is a slow enough flow that the UV can do its work. The longer the water is the sterilizer the bigger the pest it can help eradicate.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either plumbed in to return, attached to a canister filter or run via a pump as you plan. Most pumps can be dialled down to a lower flow.

ImpossibleKid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fairly heavy so it probably won't hang well on the side. I would agree that pumping from the display tank and not the sump is better. I had a large piece of acrylic that I laid over the tank and set it on top of that. I used a pump in the display with a ball valve to regulate the flow, because as @Javamahn said you want a slower flow (although the 55w UV on a 30 gallon tank might make that irrelevant anyways). It wasn't a pretty setup, but it worked.

You could also mount it on something as it has holes to allow for that.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help guys! I think maybe I will put some piece of acrilic or glass and put it on top, I hope it make s mirackes to me. Today I see my ostreopsis some more light in color, it only waves on the water movement and it dont look so stringy maybe the nutrients are doing its thing, I will buy uv anyway.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would. I think more than one angle of attack other than nutrient balancing is required to beat and keep them at bay.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit that I have not read this entire thread but from what I've read on this thread as well as others is that you are most susceptible to dinos while having uln water parameters. My question is can you still get them with higher water parameters? I have something going on in my tank which I suspect to be dinos for the last couple of months but I am not uln. In fact I started seeing them when my phosphates were above 0.613 which is as high as my Hanna ultra low phosphate reader would read. So it could have been higher. And my nitrates we're off the charts in the 100 PPM range. I have not diagnosed with a microscope yet but will be buying one next week. I first thought that they were diatoms and spent money fighting those with no success. Then I thought I had red slime and spent a bunch of money fighting that with no luck. So I'm left with thinking their dinos but again I will confirm after purchasing a microscope. However the question I'm asking is if I can still get there with high water parameters. And PS I have since I lowered my water parameters using the skimmer and an algae reactor. My phosphates are now 0.129 and my nitrates are 5 or 10 PPM

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@IKD Assuming for the moment check out that link to post 905 above and see if that makes sense. Raising nutrient levels and then allowing them to fall naturally might be part of your solution.

@Jolanta I'm not sure that any specific level will be best, but I would still not let either N or P fall to zero, if that appears to be happening. Keep N and P at least somewhat balanced and present. :)

Thanks @mcarroll. I did read post 905 and I'm sure I'll need to re-read it a few times. I assume raising N and P is to allow competition of dinos to get a foothold and then let the nutrient levels fall naturally. I think I need to do some inoculation as well. My dino presence has definitely worsened over the last few days of dosing N (at 2.5ppm now using Red Sea test kit), and I think it may be because the P hasn't increased at all (still shows 0 on my Hanna tester). I'm using Spectracide Stump Remover for N, and Flourish Phosphate for P.

I'm looking at UV Sterilizer and am considering this one for my 265g tank. Any thoughts?
Aqua UV: 80w http://www.aquacave.com/aqua-uv-classic-80-watt-uv-sterilizer-by-aqua-ultraviolet.html
AQUA TWIST 57 WATT: http://www.aquacave.com/aqua-twist-57-watt-uv-sterilizer-by-aqua-ultraviolet.html

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it may be because the P hasn't increased at all (still shows 0 on my Hanna tester).

N and P are both necessary, but P concentration level seems to be the more crucial in terms of suppressing the bloom.

And encouraging competition is only ONE of the good things that comes with correcting nutrient levels.

For example, one big reason that you're still not picking up any P on your tests is that bacteria are hard at work trying to break down the "armor plates" that these dino's leave as detritus when their die.

Dino's make a lot of cells and those skeletonized, dead cells are an extremely concentrated "carbon source" – something like a 3000:1 carbon ratio! – so it takes LOTS of N and P to break all that detritus down. (If you're familiar with garden composting, things like newsprint and sawdust are really high in carbon ratio, but only score something like 400:1.)

That bacterial lock on P is caused by the dino bloom AND it's usually what keeps perpetuating the dino bloom. Pretty nice system they have! ;Bored

No available P in the water from that lock means that every new generation of dino's "starves" and switches to heterotrophy – they simply eat the copious amount of bacteria still around and keep blooming. Once the new generations have dissolved nutrients available, they "should" lose the impetus toward heterotrophy and bloom formation and return to their "normal" autotrophic, carbon-limited (and invisible) lifestyle. Ostreopsis puts a "nice" twist on that vs some of the easier ones to beat. It's very ideal not to let them get established – always deal with the bloom ASAP. Unfortunately, folks usually have no way to really tell what they're dealing with until someone talks to them about Selecting a microscope. ;)

Alitoo.81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Ozone and UV, So far so good. Will do a second Blackout after a week. I lowered the ORP to 360-375. UV connected with less water flow rate today.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
N and P are both necessary, but P concentration level seems to be the more crucial in terms of suppressing the bloom.

And encouraging competition is only ONE of the good things that comes with correcting nutrient levels.

For example, one big reason that you're still not picking up any P on your tests is that bacteria are hard at work trying to break down the "armor plates" that these dino's leave as detritus when their die.

Dino's make a lot of cells and those skeletonized, dead cells are an extremely concentrated "carbon source" – something like a 3000:1 carbon ratio! – so it takes LOTS of N and P to break all that detritus down. (If you're familiar with garden composting, things like newsprint and sawdust are really high in carbon ratio, but only score something like 400:1.)

That bacterial lock on P is caused by the dino bloom AND it's usually what keeps perpetuating the dino bloom. Pretty nice system they have! ;Bored

No available P in the water from that lock means that every new generation of dino's "starves" and switches to heterotrophy – they simply eat the copious amount of bacteria still around and keep blooming. Once the new generations have dissolved nutrients available, they "should" lose the impetus toward heterotrophy and bloom formation and return to their "normal" autotrophic, carbon-limited (and invisible) lifestyle. Ostreopsis puts a "nice" twist on that vs some of the easier ones to beat. It's very ideal not to let them get established – always deal with the bloom ASAP. Unfortunately, folks usually have no way to really tell what they're dealing with until someone talks to them about Selecting a microscope. ;)
This is awesome information! When you say to deal with a bloom, I should continue to work on getting my P levels to around 0.1, correct? Also, would love any thoughts on the UV sterilizes. Is there any minimum wattage needed to kill Ostreopsis?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome information! When you say to deal with a bloom, I should continue to work on getting my P levels to around 0.1, correct? Also, would love any thoughts on the UV sterilizes. Is there any minimum wattage needed to kill Ostreopsis?
I've been looking at the coral life turbo twist. Kind of a neat concept of having the water flow around the bulb 3-12 times over depending on the size. Also people have been having luck with jebao's.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back