Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt think about this. Been planning to pull from sump when the lights are off. But maybe pulling from the DT when the lights are off is a better solution? Or when lights off are they free floating everywhere so it doesnt matter.
Not all dinos free float. Some creep down into sandbeds.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't trying to argue with you, just discussing. You may be right that they are being passed around more than they used to be passed around due to the higher numbers of systems experiencing dino outbreaks.
Easy tiger....

Neither was I. I just didn't quite understand your disagreement when you said pretty much what I did.

Yes we know they are in the sea and certainly in most if not all systems by now.

Its possible they are being introduced to older tanks but being consumed far before they can multiply.

Its certainly easier to get a frag now than it was in the past. Originally my Lfs only sold wild harvested colonies brought in direct from Bali. The only pest I eve had was a gorilla crab. Most hitchhikers consisted of bandit crabs.

I just think the market has boomed and we have aimed for that ideal low nutrient system we are told we should have. Sadly it doesn't mimic nature. Our tanks are starved and low nutrients whilst the ocean has low dissolved organics but still a constant supply of nutrition being take up my the microfauna.

I've certainly learned low numbers are not the best we were once told. Then again neither are high.

Last edited:

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy tiger....

Why? We're all friends here... It's fun to talk about this stuff. Let's get back to topic. I was disagreeing with what you said about dipping fish/coral in chlorine or not buying from stores that have dinos. I think the proper approach is to have established systems with proper nutrient balances and diverse microfauna to outgrow the dinos.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the chlorine bit.... Ah makes sense.

No i wouldn't recommend it. Though in a thread it was tested and as far as I know was successful. At what end though I couldn't say.

Yes established systems seema to be the order of the day. Again something we are rushing with the help of bacterial potions and instant sand cycling etc....

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An undersized uv and running water through it too fast won’t kill enough or at all if flow is to fast.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach is a bad idea. A very bad idea and doesn’t work. It doesn’t solve the problem.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm OK I could say it did solve the problem during a trial on this very forum....

But I'm not for a moment suggesting this. What I aim suggesting is that a coral dip is required.

The problem won't develop if doesn't exist in the first place.

The only paper I've read on the subject was around a way of disinfecting shipments due to them transferring strains around the globe. One trial involved chlorine and a bubbler.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would like to see is a coral rx variant that worked. Coral rx incidentally is a disinfectant as is iodine.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like many others would like not to have to deal with this blight. As they say prevention is better than cure.

Still we are where we are. So now we need to ensure that stable environment which used to be the number one referenced thing in this hobby is back to being no 1 rather than out new found obsession with shooting for undectable levels.

One good thing will come of this though. The industry listens to what we want.
If we want zero nitrates the industry provided.

If we want hang on the back Chaeto reactors, we got it.

If we don't want to see our test tube react to the smallest particle of phosphate we have the technology to do it.

If we want lower cost lighting, we got LEDs. Designed to provide blue and white light.
When we complained about that we got full spectrum.

So now what we want is a way to keep the tank nutrients from running a mock but kept and detectable levels.

I'm pretty sure actually there is a phosphate remover that won't remove more than 0.03 though cannot recall what it's called.

Scheel78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180125_152906553.jpg

Can I get an ID on this? I think it is Prorocentrum lima.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought fiji mud was just minerals
Well it was pulled from the ocean floor in Fiji. So you get minerals and all the other good stuff. Watching a few youtube videos on it, and some people had worms in theirs.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you have a friend with out Dino bloom in the tank some of their nast water from a water change will contain micro fauna.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be good enough, ostreopsis are known to enter the water column at night but may not be traveling through the sump in a large enough quantity for the UV to make a dent. I had great success in knocking back the ostreopsis dinos with my UV pump located in the display. Once I had the ostreopsis under control, I moved the UV to the sump. This, along with nutrient balancing, cured my tank of ostreopsis dinoflagellates.
Part of the reason not a whole end in skimmers either.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it was pulled from the ocean floor in Fiji. So you get minerals and all the other good stuff. Watching a few youtube videos on it, and some people had worms in theirs.
Sounds like a winner. Thanks for the help. I think I have a winning leg on my dinos but still would like to add some biodiversity.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back