Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

wopadobop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stoped dosing nitrates and phosphates and let them bottom out . One day they just vaporized off the rocks . Almost immediately , like say , 48 hours after that Dino’s popped up. And I just put in my grow out frag !

wopadobop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4DB43458-8C45-4206-A797-81D88F7C2671.jpeg 648DB690-9E2A-4139-9C89-ED623DCED79A.jpeg EF94FBD5-B9FF-4A73-85E0-E42697827C52.jpeg Just cleaned those last night . Grrr

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stoped dosing nitrates and phosphates and let them bottom out . One day they just vaporized off the rocks . Almost immediately , like say , 48 hours after that Dino’s popped up. And I just put in my grow out frag !
Oh ok. Well, there was another member here that had dinos with chrysos. I help them get rid of chrysos but then dinos flourished and I was to blame. Though, proof is inthe pudding right?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alage-id.324861/

3rd image down....

You'll also notice I identified dinos before treatment.

BUT You didn't use my treatment so i'm in the clear :D

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone I've seen use it has had success?

Check out the number of re-treatments even in the uber-popular bryopsis thread. Lots of folks don't seem to get tanks that are cured of bryopsis (or GHA...or the ever-expanding list of claimed cures), but they do seem to have a new dependency for fluconazole. Seems to be treated as "normal" when multiple treatments are reported too. Weird! (Let's not dwell any more on this here tho....PM me if any of this seems worth talking about some more. ;))

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the number of re-treatments even in the uber-popular bryopsis thread. Lots of folks don't seem to get tanks that are cured of bryopsis (or GHA...or the ever-expanding list of claimed cures), but they do seem to have a new dependency for fluconazole. Seems to be treated as "normal" when multiple treatments are reported too. Weird! (Let's not dwell any more on this here tho....PM me if any of this seems worth talking about some more. ;))
Fair enough. I'll revisit sometime soon lol...

wopadobop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Well, there was another member here that had dinos with chrysos. I help them get rid of chrysos but then dinos flourished and I was to blame. Though, proof is inthe pudding right?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alage-id.324861/

3rd image down....

You'll also notice I identified dinos before treatment.

BUT You didn't use my treatment so i'm in the clear :D

yeah that wasnt your fault. getting rid of them pretty much produces the ideal conditions for dino outbreak. mcarrol and some others pretty much said as soon as they go away get ready for dinos and maybe just cyano if i was lucky. its not a big deal. i dont freak out about anything in a reef tank anymore. its just part of the hobby. live and learn.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if there is a maximum ppm in a 24 hour when dosing Potassium Nitrate to avoid shocking your corals.

I’m using this information;
https://reefsuccess.com/2017/02/08/nutrient-dosing-for-better-tank-health-and-better-coral-color/

Present level for NO3 is undetectable. Im not looking to make the jump to 10 overnight :confused: but if there is a max increase one can share I’d appreciate it greatly. I’ve always been cautious so whatever the max is I’d shoot for half and spread it out.

That, I hope has an easy answer, later I’ll detail a situation regarding my tanks and the Dino battle I have in 1 of them (I’ve 5 tanks tied into a single system)
:mad::(

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if there is a maximum ppm in a 24 hour when dosing Potassium Nitrate to avoid shocking your corals.

I'm fairly sure at this point that there's no such thing at all as shocking your corals by adding nitrates. (or phosphates.)

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://reefsuccess.com/2017/02/08/nutrient-dosing-for-better-tank-health-and-better-coral-color/

Present level for NO3 is undetectable. Im not looking to make the jump to 10 overnight :confused: but if there is a max increase one can share I’d appreciate it greatly. I’ve always been cautious so whatever the max is I’d shoot for half and spread it out.

That, I hope has an easy answer, later I’ll detail a situation regarding my tanks and the Dino battle I have in 1 of them (I’ve 5 tanks tied into a single system)

Go crazy. I’ve dumped in 10ppm KNO3 and .2ppm PO4 in one go... at some points during my battle I would do that twice a day with phosphate and every few days with nitrates. If it was a shock to the coral, it was a positive shock that left them growing and colorful.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently dose 2.2 ppm daily just to stay above 0.1 ppm. I only have a GSP right now but it loves it. The first dose of NO3 registered between 16 and 32 ppm on the Red Sea tester. That was 24 hours after the dose and it started as 0.0 ppm. Not a hint of color. Still no I'll effects, only happier GSP. The color is slightest lighter but also brighter and PE is bigger than I have ever seen it. The dinos seem to have a hard time clinging to it now. Not so in the beginning.

I also just tested Si yesterday and found it to be zero in the Salifert test kit. I will be ordering Si to does tonight and share my experiences with it.

wopadobop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if you are already near the low end of 1 ppm go slower. But like the others I’ve jumped 500 ml of that mix in my tank in a go with no bad results lol

wopadobop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So there’s a motility video
320F42DC-F9E4-4C1C-B709-35D374C8E806.jpeg

And there’s a shot at 600x

Any id help? Looks like ostreopsis to me. ?? I’m bad at this stuff

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only thought is the notion to avoid big changes quickly. And with dinos, the cure is never quick but gradual. Just a thought.

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I started dosing sodium silicates in my tank yesterday as well. After reading Randys article on dosing silicates into the reef tank I figured I may as well give it a shot to try and increase my tanks biodiversity. Diatoms, sponges, anything to compete with the Dinos.

In the last couple days I have been reading articles and various research papers on red tides (dinoflagellates) and what may cause them. In addition to the article that was posted a few pages back, I have seen several different sources that suggest that that a lack or crash of diatoms / silicates may be allowing dinos to bloom. From what I've read diatoms will outcompete dinos.

Obviously I'm not a scientist or researcher but this sounds like it makes sense. Usually our tanks are depleted of silicates fairly quickly, not to mention that many of the people that report dinos have been vigorously using GFO to remove po4 and silicates. Maybe were killing the dinoflagellates competition? Kind of goes hand in hand with what people are suggest by adding nutrients to increase biodiversity to outcompete the dinos. Ill continue dosing silicates at well and keep you guys updated on the results. I have a seachem silicate test coming in in a few days, ill let you know if its better than the salifert.

dino.png

Thanks for this. I'll be following your results so can't wait to hear!!

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7ECA4124-2D1F-4A2F-A34C-407C34667F5B.jpeg
@JonJ any chance of a video? Hard to say without movement.[/QUOTE]

Ok, hopefully this will work! I bought a better microscope do hopefully this will make it easier to determine.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back