Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Trikflow77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the commitment to helping other reefers on fighting dinos, this and other support threads are amazing.

Looking for an ID, these are scoped at 250x.

Transfered tank from a 29g to a 50g, tank is 2 months old, live rock from old tank with new sand that was rinsed until clear.

What I thought were new tank diatoms are for sure dinos, just cant tell if they are amphi small or large. When I do a water change and vac the sand bed they come back strong the next day.

I bottomed out PO4, old tank I always fought to keep PO4 down and ran some form of PO4 remover, and did this at startup from the tank transfer.

The last 2 weeks of testing

NO3- 3-10ppm
PO- .00-.04ppm

Currently the only thing I am doing is started dosing PO4 yesterday to get my levels up.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_1582.MOV
    2.2 MB
  • IMG_1579.jpeg
    IMG_1579.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 50

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the commitment to helping other reefers on fighting dinos, this and other support threads are amazing.

Looking for an ID, these are scoped at 250x.

Transfered tank from a 29g to a 50g, tank is 2 months old, live rock from old tank with new sand that was rinsed until clear.

What I thought were new tank diatoms are for sure dinos, just cant tell if they are amphi small or large. When I do a water change and vac the sand bed they come back strong the next day.

I bottomed out PO4, old tank I always fought to keep PO4 down and ran some form of PO4 remover, and did this at startup from the tank transfer.

The last 2 weeks of testing

NO3- 3-10ppm
PO- .00-.04ppm

Currently the only thing I am doing is started dosing PO4 yesterday to get my levels up.

Thanks again!
Large Cell amphids. May have seen a small cell race by early in the video. They are much smaller and much faster.

Search up a few posts/pages to a link in one (or a dozen of) my posts. I know, it is long, but it is a fairly complete brain dump on dino treatment method(s) according to specie.

Trikflow77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large Cell amphids. May have seen a small cell race by early in the video. They are much smaller and much faster.

Search up a few posts/pages to a link in one (or a dozen of) my posts. I know, it is long, but it is a fairly complete brain dump on dino treatment method(s) according to specie.
Thank you for the ID, I will start the recommended treatment strategy and report back!

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got this:

can someone tell me the dosage for a 400 liters (net tank)?

can i dose the full needed amount at once or step by step? i have to dose Daily or one shot?

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will be very similar to the potassium phosphate calculation. I would do a low tester dose first, then the one shot. It will likely be consumed instantly for the first week or two. Eventually you will get to a point where it stabilizes and no longer drops. Be careful and test every day until you get to this point.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got this:

can someone tell me the dosage for a 400 liters (net tank)?

can i dose the full needed amount at once or step by step? i have to dose Daily or one shot?

Just saw this was in liquid form. Not sure if this would have the same calculation... Im sure someone will know. Same rules apply though (minus the dosage).

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have to order a silicate test, i don't think the Hanna silicate checker would work in marine water

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have to order a silicate test, i don't think the Hanna silicate checker would work in marine water
There will be a margin of error, but not enough to be of concern or to be deemed unreliable. If I recall, there was like a 20%+/- measuring difference. Could be wrong, but If true, then that really wouldn't make much of a difference. If Hanna, use the LR-low range model.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be a margin of error, but not enough to be of concern or to be deemed unreliable. If I recall, there was like a 20%+/- measuring difference. Could be wrong, but If true, then that really wouldn't make much of a difference. If Hanna, use the LR-low range model.
yes, i have the LR

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started dosing silica (waterglass) at 37.5%, 25ml for a 400 liters net tank.

water is totally cloudy now, i can't see the rocks :D:D

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, they're back. Though I don't think it's LC this time, but their kissin' cousin Prorocentrum. Just wanted to get a confirmation, though I'm fairly confident.

They mostly seem to stick in dark brown, almost dust-like patches in the sand, dunno if they go in the water column or the sand but do go away at night. They have little to no movement.

20220114_101621.jpg

20220114_102224.jpg

If it's confirmed Prorocentrum, seems they need some convincing to get into the water column. Would silica dosing work as it did with LC? Or do you need a short blackout (24 HR) or is more needed? Hoping to avoid blackout as to not tick off everything in the tank as I have a healthy mix of Acros, zoa, acans, torches/hammers.

Still not sure where they came from as nutrients never came close to bottoming out (usually 0.05-0.1 PO4 and 5-10ppm NO3). But I did have some cyano that I hit with chemiclean... But these guys didn't appear until a week or two later so, who knows.

Anyway, in the meantime dosing Si and running carbon.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they're back. Though I don't think it's LC this time, but their kissin' cousin Prorocentrum. Just wanted to get a confirmation, though I'm fairly confident.

They mostly seem to stick in dark brown, almost dust-like patches in the sand, dunno if they go in the water column or the sand but do go away at night. They have little to no movement.

20220114_101621.jpg

20220114_102224.jpg

If it's confirmed Prorocentrum, seems they need some convincing to get into the water column. Would silica dosing work as it did with LC? Or do you need a short blackout (24 HR) or is more needed? Hoping to avoid blackout as to not tick off everything in the tank as I have a healthy mix of Acros, zoa, acans, torches/hammers.

Still not sure where they came from as nutrients never came close to bottoming out (usually 0.05-0.1 PO4 and 5-10ppm NO3). But I did have some cyano that I hit with chemiclean... But these guys didn't appear until a week or two later so, who knows.

Anyway, in the meantime dosing Si and running carbon.
Yup, that is Proro. As I wrote in the article, the surest way to get dinos in a tank WITH nutrients is Chemiclean.

Yes to silicate dosing. Now that cyano are gone you need somebody else to compete for that surface.

Yes, a 48 hour blackout should help get them moving. As you can see under the scope, they just lay around like an old cat. However, without a UV for them to swim into, a blackout is pointless. I have notes about a proper UV in the article too.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup, that is Proro. As I wrote in the article, the surest way to get dinos in a tank WITH nutrients is Chemiclean.

Yes to silicate dosing. Now that cyano are gone you need somebody else to compete for that surface.

Yes, a 48 hour blackout should help get them moving. As you can see under the scope, they just lay around like an old cat. However, without a UV for them to swim into, a blackout is pointless. I have notes about a proper UV in the article too.

I remember reading from when I had ostreopsis almost two years ago.

I have a 55w Lifegard plumbed into my sump, but for dinos doest do much as it doesn't really touch the DT. For that I made a HOB mount for my a 55w jebao. Basically two "J" shapes made of PVC, one intake (with a pump 350gph) one exhaust. DT-Jebao-DT, just hang on the side of the tank.

Just need to dig it out of the closet and hang it back up.

Thanks for confirming the ID and providing a wealth of info over the years haha. Seems I keep coming back to this thread every year, year and a half.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you know why some dinos are MUCH bigger then other?

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_015344.jpg
    IMG_20220115_015344.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 36

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok here is a quick update for those of you that want to beat Dinos ( I confirmed that I have ostreosis and anphidinium and proro via microscope:

I followed simple steps and the tank is looking so much better already. A week or so and I will be dino free:

Leave only blue light on your aquarium ( no reds/ greens/ whites.

Dosing bacteria and microbes: microbacter 7 and reef enhance per bottle directions

Dosing Silica ( used brightwell aquatics ) (per bottle directions)

Installed a UV sterilizer running 24/7 ( 18w for my 75 gallon installed in the display)

Keep nitrates above 10 and phosphates above 0.10 ( dosing brightwell phos and nitro daily)

Install 5 micron filter socks in your sump

Blew off dinos from rocks and sand daily so The UV and the filter socks capture it

You must run carbon for the toxins from dinos

Ps: turn off uv, skimmer and carbon for 4 hours while dosing Macrobacter 7.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My tank now( 5 days into rebounding and it's looking way way better). I give it 3 more days and I should be a dino clean.

Attachments

• 16422091875792997966054470206199.jpg
    16422091875792997966054470206199.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 38

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Yazreef I recently beat Ostreo using almost exactly the same steps as you described (blues only, shorter photo period, 24/7 UV, heavy bacteria dosing, carbon, keeping nutrients up). What finally got me over the hump was turning up the flow through the UV. The UV at 1x turnover wasn’t doing much, but when I turned it up to 3x turnover, I saw results almost instantly. Although at that time the Ostreo was already having a tough time due to microbial competition.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
@Yazreef I recently beat Ostreo using almost exactly the same steps as you described (blues only, shorter photo period, 24/7 UV, heavy bacteria dosing, carbon, keeping nutrients up). What finally got me over the hump was turning up the flow through the UV. The UV at 1x turnover wasn’t doing much, but when I turned it up to 3x turnover, I saw results almost instantly. Although at that time the Ostreo was already having a tough time due to microbial competition.
Oh yes I'm using it 3x turnover as well. Glad you go it under control

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading from when I had ostreopsis almost two years ago.

I have a 55w Lifegard plumbed into my sump, but for dinos doest do much as it doesn't really touch the DT. For that I made a HOB mount for my a 55w jebao. Basically two "J" shapes made of PVC, one intake (with a pump 350gph) one exhaust. DT-Jebao-DT, just hang on the side of the tank.

Just need to dig it out of the closet and hang it back up.

Thanks for confirming the ID and providing a wealth of info over the years haha. Seems I keep coming back to this thread every year, year and a half.

I have had to pull mine off the shelf a few times as well. Same idea.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back