Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured i wouldnt needed but was just getting a dose base off of for everyone. Are you ready to give the dose per 10 gallons?
With the information provided by @BoneXriffic we need to pay close attention to the dosing.
So with this information I do not have an exact dose to post up for every 10 gallons.
With my information and his we all can come together for a dosing regime.

I can say I am very pleased with the results so far.
DOC'S are high
I have no doubt that this reduces the bacterial population so monitoring of amonia will be essential.
I have to note...
The corals haven't looked better and water clarity has drastically improved.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am willing to be one of the first test dummies if needed. I do not seem to have a toxic type, yet it is very invasive and bubbly.

The interesting side effect will be on coraline... i think it is a bit more tolerable

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is by far the quickest I have put something together.
I was bound and determined to solve this massive problem.
People with dinoflagellates may now have an option as we progress through the days of this method.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to make one other point with the bleach. No need to try to pull it. It will have disdapated in 24hr or less... with skimmer running much less

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Typicallyitnis reccomended in a freshwater aquarium if using tap water to wait 24hr before adding fish for chlorine to dissipate.

This rule no longer applies to everyone as chloramines are used 9 months out of the year for most people

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just add chlorine remover if concern bleach lasted too long.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I leave town for a week, and now we're bleaching tanks?!
:)
I've got some catching up to do on this thread.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to metro for a brief moment.

I found 0, nada, not one, zilch, negatory amount of the larger dinos. Not alive, not encysted, not not moving, not in any form for the first time tonight from a sample I was sure to find some...

08c3bc845867c8a599041b8d6524d369.jpg

I did find a couple of the smaller kind. But none of the larger armored variety.

I will have to look for them again another day. Getting vids and pics uploaded and will post in my metro vs dino thread.

Reeferhigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd can you please tell me how you keep your cultures in your lab? I have been running my own tests as well and think I might be on to something. My control was still alive and my test sample seems dead by bucket test (still don't have a scope yet). But my control could be healthier so want to run it a few moe times and then get a scope.

Thanks

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd can you please tell me how you keep your cultures in your lab? I have been running my own tests as well and think I might be on to something. My control was still alive and my test sample seems dead by bucket test (still don't have a scope yet). But my control could be healthier so want to run it a few moe times and then get a scope.

Thanks
I use 250ml beakers, air stone with a slow bubble rate.
I add 2 drops of phytoplankton every 3 days and 1 drop of flourish nitrogen every other day. I use a small plant tray heating pad to maintain temperature. Also maintain your evaporation daily.
It does take some time to find the right amount of carbons to add as it is based on culture population.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many days has it been? How many more days until you declare success?

Back