Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

kopper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am having some luck now too finally. I'm 7 days into H2O2 dosing and starting to see some results. I have not done a major blackout period yet (along with H2O2 dosing I mean - I have done several 3-4 day blackouts before now). I think I may do that starting Monday. We'll see how things go this weekend but the dinos are definitely reducing now. I am dosing 1ml/10g on a 400g system and like hypr I am not taking any rocks into account.

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI, none of my inverts had any ill effects from the dosing, multiple species shrimp (pep, coral banded, skunk), porcelain crabs, hermits, feather duster, starfish, snails, Electric flame scallop

RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I have a sps only tank full of dinos, dino's are basically on the rocks, all over the rocks, sand bed is pretty clean. I have read the entire post but I have not seem sps keepers around here. I would like to know if any sps keeper are running the method (peroxide dosing), and if they have any issue on any sps corals. I've read also about successfuls zoas dips but anyone have tried a sps dip? I have started peroxide dosing for about 4 days now with no significant change at all but my main concern stills with my stony corals, lokanis, turakis, echinatas...

thanks

moto826

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying this now will a black out to start work better? thanks for the info

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a black out twice before starting the h2o2 and didn't have any luck... Once I started the dosing no I
Didn't do a black out... I think a few members did thou so might not be a bad idea...;)

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang it Troy,very interesting reading,I wish I'd found this thread sooner.....I've been fighting this nasty crap for over 3 weeks now,vacuuming several times a day,3 days with lights out 3 different times,replacing filter sock every day,reduced feeding,and increased flow.....

it's finally going away,prolly just burning itself out now though....seems like every 5 or 6 months I go through this but it was worse this time than it's ever been :( I thought it was cyano but it looks more like this pic
972289.jpg
from the link you posted early in this thread

Rimless Reef 2.0: the dawn of the new Rimless setup! - Rimless Reef

I'm running GFO and I've been dosing vodka again but after reading this thread,I'm gonna quit with the vodka until this is completely gone......my phosphates are undetectable and nitrates are extremely low,what's feeding this stuff to keep it growing ?

if it's not cleared completely up in the next few days,I'm gonna try dosing H2O2,and I may do it anyway just for the heck of it LOL.....

I am curious if anybody with macro algae,that's tried this,has seen any ill effects on their macro algae,or more specifically,on chaeto...I don't want to kill my chaeto :D

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup Willie that's the bad stuff...:( defiantly lay off the vodka untill it subsides it could become a fuel source for it...
From what I have read dinos feed off of silicates these can be found in your substrate, rocks, water etc... I use a Kent hi-s "high silicate remover" membrane on my ro... That problem I had started shortly after swapping and using a cheap one from awi.... Keep us updated how it goes and if you start using lol

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as soon as I restarted vodka dosing, had an issue which I attributed to my fast ramp-up schedule (went from 0 to 5ml per day in my 30 gallon tanks.) After a week, had some build-up on all my frag plugs and some brown on the glass, so did the H2O2 method- was gone in three days but finished out the 7 day schedule. I actually saw changes day of, and could see the brown gunk floating on the water surface.

Now just need to find a tool to get rid of hair algae-gah!

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the same mistake of overdosing by using 1ml per gallon in the first time. No ill effects. I then used the reccomended dose of 1ml per 10 gallons and after a few days the dinos were gone

Bob

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the same mistake of overdosing by using 1ml per gallon in the first time. No ill effects. I then used the reccomended dose of 1ml per 10 gallons and after a few days the dinos were gone

Bob

Did you do a water change or anything? Did you just do the recommended dose the next day? Today is my scheduled bi-monthly water change and was going to hold off on the dosing. What do you think?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep dosing and hold off on the wc is what i would do.... if you read sunnys article or any for that matter it says do not change the water when dealing with these monsters....

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am curious if anybody with macro algae,that's tried this,has seen any ill effects on their macro algae,or more specifically,on chaeto...I don't want to kill my chaeto :D

If you have chaeto in a seperate refugium and this stuff is in the display the answer (to quote an old nerdy college professor as he explained complex concepts) The answer is intuitively obvious to the most causual observer. :wink:

Kill the lights in your display for a few days until this stuff dies off.

then adjust your lighting (duration) so you corals and corraline algae thrive but this stuff doesn't come back.

my .02

Back