Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

graham_kyle1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a biologist kicking around forums named Pants.....very knowledgeable on Dino's, if you can determine what kind you have (need a microscope) you will be able to further narrow down what you can do.....I don't have a microscope so I don't know strain I have but I know for a fact that its Dino's. Been dosing peroxide recently bumped to 2mg/10g, did 5 days blackout and haven't done a water change, while I gotta admit my water looks like crap with fine white particles (hopefully dead Dino's!) From a distance my aquarium looks better than it has in awhile. Its only about 6 months old. If they come back I'm going to add MB7 and phytoplankton in an attempt to outcompete Dino's for nutrients/food. Despite not doing water changes for about a month my NO3 and PO4 levels are still undetectable. Curve5 skimmer refugium and running phosguard and phosban (switch between them) tank is a 36Bow sump is a standard 20G homemade. Going to give a couple days of light so my corals don't die, then for about 5 days do only about 3 hrs of day white lights, I'll do actinic for most of the day. Ive been seeing pods in my sump and worms in my sand, which i haven't seen in awhile.....still have brown strings but few and they don't seem to be growing......Here's hoping!

Dino's SUCK!!!!!!

Not sure if its related but I lost a maze brain coral and my branching hammer isn't nearly as green as it should be.....since before the dyno outbreak....think I cranked my 27" razor too high....reduced lighting and started reef foods......hardest fight I've come a gross yet these Dino's.

Bokevince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi grahan!
Do you have pictures of your dino?
What do you think about my algaes?
Dino, or cyano, diatoms?
How old is your tank now?
Dino's never came back?
Thanks

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the h202 method and it definitley kicked them back. however i misdosed not thinking at a 1:1 ratio. 1ml:1 gal.
it ravaged the dinos, irritated the corals (none died yet), but it did kill my cleaner shrimp, and my pistol shrimp is MIA.
due to such a huge dose, i dont plan on resuming and going the black out method to finish off what is left in the tank.

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im an old guy & never learned the Metric system, so I have a 90 gal. reef tank with a 30 gal fuge, would someone please help me out in ozs as to how much to dose my tank with Hydrogen Peroxide. Thank you in advance

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not post a full tank shot to see the best way or if its the right need

A fuge with macro is a peroxide target both for the macros and the stores of organic waste people like to junk into refugiums.

A full tank shot helps to get a real plan

Show your target reason for the peroxide

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't anything in my fuge except sand lice rick & some Chaeto. Here's a shot of my tank sand bed I took last night, no full tank shot but soon

Attachments

• 11875625_10205963919995530_719214865_o.jpg
    11875625_10205963919995530_719214865_o.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 344

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoanthids are highly tolerant of typical peroxide dosing. but, I think that's cyano not dinos so id just siphon remove it a few times I wouldn't dose it just my opinion

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and if it doesnt respond to a couple weeks siphon we go to town

:)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

sounds like
waaaaaar

no bacteria w be harmed in this transaction. oversized uv, used for ponds, we've done wonders with btw... pond sterilizer on nano reef in our big peroxide thread was key swing vote lol
B

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, in spite of my clear peroxide bias in most cases i am required by nerd honor to report anything which may work better

and the new dinoxal treatments is beating peroxide massively at killing dinos. peroxide still king for many others tho lol

dinoxal, amazing outcomes on its threads. i trust threads when patterns develop

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, in spite of my clear peroxide bias in most cases i am required by nerd honor to report anything which may work better

and the new dinoxal treatments is beating peroxide massively at killing dinos. peroxide still king for many others tho lol

dinoxal, amazing outcomes on its threads. i trust threads when patterns develop
if it is dino-x i heard it killed algae

i dosed 300ml tonight after removing all my more sensitive sticks and clam

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a dinoflagellate. There is a good chance it is this one, or something related. I've been wanting to dump some in someone's tank for awhile to see if it would clear up a dino bloom, but no one has wanted to be my guinea pig.

Can you get some video with higher magnification to confirm my suspicion?
im your huckleberry.

Amit Kumar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put sand on top to cover it up and it'll die that how I got rid of mine.

natas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You either did not have dino or a very weak strain of it for something like that to work.

Amit Kumar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it was alot, not on the walls or anything. I took a brush and scrubbed the rocks. Not as much for the bacteria would be lost. But I got rid of mine and did a heck of a waterchange.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back