Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also need to eliminate, or at least limit, areas where this stuff can grow...get other things competing with it where possible. Green algae are better. Even cyano is better, IMO.

That means making sure NO3 and PO4 remain >0 at all time.....too close to zero is not good either. Around 5ppm NO3 and at least .05 ppm PO4 IMO. This'll make conditions better for growth of all organisms, not just the hyper-competitors.

And keeping levels consistent, once established, is pretty important.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals count too...any area they shade out or grow on top of can't grow other stuff! :)

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My params are:
SG 1.026
Temp 77.5
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphates 0
pH 8.4
Magnesium 1350
Calcium 450
Alk 14.0

75 gallon DT with 30 gallon sump. Removed my macro algae during my first Dino bloom back in September. I still have them but they are much less than before which is why I thought they were cyano or diatoms.

I'll post my lighting schedule next.

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7009.JPG

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Phosphates 0

Bring em up.

It may still be from weeks-to-months before things equalize in your system, so keep things as steady as you can water-wise.

You may have to keep these pest blooms in check with "elbow grease" until then.

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much light in terms of lux or PAR?

I don't have a PAR meter so I can't tell for sure. Everything was based on research for light placement and schedule. But as you know research is mostly anecdotal and perhaps not relevant without a meter.

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7011.JPG

Here's a pic of the display tank. Sadly I'm battling Ich at the same time. I'm setting up a 40 gallon breeder HT for my fish. So I'll have 76 days of fallow time to get the Dinos removed.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lux meter can be downloaded to your phone, or (much better) you can buy a handheld lux meter for $15, delivered. Sometimes less.

For now try the download. Take some test readings out in the sun to see if it's working right – not all software is 100% compatible with all phone light-sensors.

Post here when you get that far! :)

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lux meter can be downloaded to your phone, or (much better) you can buy a handheld lux meter for $15, delivered. Sometimes less.

For now try the download. Take some test readings out in the sun to see if it's working right – not all software is 100% compatible with all phone light-sensors.

Post here when you get that far! :)

I downloaded the Lux app. At 1pm in the center of the light at the top of the water I get a reading of 5,000. It goes down to 1500-2200 at the sand bed.

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring em up.

It may still be from weeks-to-months before things equalize in your system, so keep things as steady as you can water-wise.

You may have to keep these pest blooms in check with "elbow grease" until then.

How to I bring those up? Increase feedings? Shut off the skimmer?

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ug. So I cleaned my sand yesterday to keep up on my elbow grease and today it's the worst it's been!!! So much brown. And then I found my last large snail died. I lost 9 of these guys in the past 2+ months. This is ridiculous. I gotta get something to work soon.

IMG_7041.JPG

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How are you guys getting these magnified pics? Do you all have microscopes and cameras attached? Is there a place I can send some samples too?

I think I have dinos but it could be something else - very dark maroon dusting on sand that goes away at night but doesn't get stringy or bubbly at all. Maybe cyano? I did one dose of peroxide yesterday and will repeat for a week just to see what happens.

Does peroxide work on Cyano as well?

BTW: I've gone through two bottles of vibrant and nothing has happened except all of my coralline has died.

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you guys getting these magnified pics? Do you all have microscopes and cameras attached? Is there a place I can send some samples too?

I think I have dinos but it could be something else - very dark maroon dusting on sand that goes away at night but doesn't get stringy or bubbly at all. Maybe cyano? I did one dose of peroxide yesterday and will repeat for a week just to see what happens.

Does peroxide work on Cyano as well?

BTW: I've gone through two bottles of vibrant and nothing has happened except all of my coralline has died.

$16 microscope off Amazon and an iPhone placed on the eyepiece. Simple.

I gave up on peroxide. It was doing nothing and making my skimmer go crazy. I got rid of my Ostreos by cleaning my sand in my sink. I think now I have a different, less aggressive strain. Something I just need to stay on top of. May try Vibrant soon because every strain is different and they all respond differently to each treatment.

wyattray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to confirm the pictures below are in fact dinos, going to start treating them this weekend. My camera has two lenses on it so its near impossible to get a good pic, but they are little brownish/yellow football like cells, moving around.

HkTUsA7.jpg

blHR9Oo.jpg

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell from the pics but the color looks different than what I'm used to for dinos.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back