Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaaaarrrrrrr just wanted to share my recent battle and how i won!!!!!!!!!
"i wish i took pics but i didn't..:("
so about 3 weeks ago my tank broke out pretty bad i mean bad!!!!!! my coast to coast overflow would get plugged and almost overflow my tank..... so i did my research and found numerous methods and even asked advice from top dogs like sunnyx and Mark Poletti who both recommended light's out for 3 days and raise my ph...so i tried this on 3 different occasions no luck!!!!:( getting ready to put a hammer through my tank i kept on looking for more info and trying to figure out why it happened.... it could have been one of 3 things...
#1 microbacter 7 od.
#2 vodka od.
#3 my ro membrane.....
im really leaning towards number 3 since i just replaced my membrane like 2 weeks before this happened.... i have a kent hi-s unit and the membrane was like 115$ to replace..arrrr so i searched around and found air water ice sold cheap ones for like 35$... keep in mind i have the hi-s meaning silicate removal.... i bought el cheapo membrane that didn't have the silicate removal or what ever the kent has."dino's love silicates".. then my problems arose... so after trying numerous things and never found anything that would kill the suckers off, i talked to a local biologist in my local club...."he recommends hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons of water daily" so i give that a shot "scared" i have a full blown sps reef, i dose .5ml per gallon on the first day... day 2 no change, so i do the recommended dose and wake up day 3 and the tank looks better.... after 5 days of dosing h202 my tank is clean again "yeah!!!!!!" i went ahead and dosed it for 7 days to make sure they don't come back lol.... i must say since adding the h202 over 9 days ago i have not had to wipe the glass once it stills sparkles!!!!! hmmmmmm got me wandering if i should dose a couple ml per day for ever lol..... thought's anyone????

Last edited:
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He explained it in big words to me that was just gibberish lol.... I found a article about it online somewhere I'll post it if I can find it.. It didn't refer to our tanks but to dinos and how it affected them...I have uses h2o2 in the past for dipping plugs to kill hair algae and it worked wonders... I missed our last club meeting when Justin credible came and that was all he talked about...h2o2 and all the good it does for our tanks... Wish I went..:(

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
troy , did you monitor ph by any chance during the process? wondering if it raises ph ? also , using the hydrogen peroxide on frag plugs, did they have coral on them? i have some frags on plugs with hair algae and would love to rid them of it. glad to hear you beat the dinos. i think dinos are taking my tank over as we speak. might give this a shot.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
troy , did you monitor ph by any chance during the process? wondering if it raises ph ? also , using the hydrogen peroxide on frag plugs, did they have coral on them? i have some frags on plugs with hair algae and would love to rid them of it. glad to hear you beat the dinos. i think dinos are taking my tank over as we speak. might give this a shot.
Yes I dipped frag plugs with corals for 30 seconds in a h2o2 dip and it kills the algae fast!!! Once you put it in your tank you will see the stuff just fall off... I didn't try any softies but he told me there good to go... Just fizz like crazy
For a minute lol..
i did monitor it and the
Ph held steady at 8.4 day and night... I was topping off with kalk thou so I think that is what kept it up and stable... I'm gonna keep it at for another week or so and see how it plays out but my ph is rock solid according to my controller and the
Probe is also new and calibrated so I know it's accurate...

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very curious. wonder if it would destroy red slime.....
This I haven't tried... If ya could scoop a little out and place it in a bowl with some h2o2 would be worth a shot... Lol

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was one article...
A New Reefing Tool
On October 21, 2010, in Aquariums, Care and Maintenance, Helpful Tips, by Brian Sousa
As our reef aquarium hobby progresses many helpful topics are discussed in the reef communities. They can be new products just released from a manufacturer, maintenance tips, or even advanced water chemistry discussions.

As our reef aquarium hobby progresses many helpful topics are discussed in the reef communities.* They can be new products just released from a manufacturer, maintenance tips, or even advanced water chemistry discussions.*

Today I would like to introduce the advanced topic of using Hydrogen Peroxide in a reef aquarium.* The use of Hydrogen Peroxide in a reef aquarium is viewed as one of those new reefing tools that are popping up on many discussion forums around the world. When used properly it can be used as an unwanted algae killer, a parasite dip, or even a remedy to aid stressed corals back to health. Yes it can be very harmful also if not used correctly as small polyp stony corals (SPS) are said to be more sensitive to this type of treatment.* This topic has become popular enough that Justin Credible from Exotic Reef Imports will be speaking about it at this weekend’s Reef-A-Palooza. *As more knowledge of the use of Hydrogen Peroxide in reef aquariums is exposed this could be our next new reefing tool.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple more and videos....
Justin Credible
Topic: Hydrogen Peroxide, The New Reefing Tool
Every now and then a new tool is available to the reef hobby. A new tool available to us now is hydrogen peroxide. It can be used as an anti-parasite dip, algae killer, and coral saver. Learn how you can use it to save coral colonies otherwise doomed to death, get rid of Bryopsis and bubble algae, kill zoanthid nudibranchs, and more. The future is now, the future is hydrogen peroxide!

YouTube - Justin Credabel Hydrogen Peroxide!!!

Justin Credabel is orginially from New London, Connecticut. He recently transplanted to Los Angeles to grow more coral than ever before. He spent the first 12 years of his career on the retail side of fish and coral, where he helped unlock the mysteries of Goniopora. He went to found the non-profit Applied Sustainable Aquaculture to conduct research on coral propagation, and educate the public about coral aquaculture and the importance of coral in the wild. At the Coral Research Lab at the Science and Technology Magnet High School of Southeastern Connecticut Justin further refined the techniques of fusing mulitple coral together to create new varieties, and micro-culture techniques. Justin is now at Exotic Reef Imports in Los Angeles where he is developing the aquaculture division, and establishing new strains of captive grown coral, including many species of Goniopora, and new varieties of fused coral. Justin is also in the band Incognito Sofa Love, signed to Tribe Muzik, as well as in the reef super group, Reefstock All-Stars.

Lol lol...;)

Last edited:

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dumb question, but just because I keep finding all sorts of contradictory statements of what dino is to people, could you please describe what you were fighting/killing? Have some stuff I've been battling lately, another local reefer has it too. We're both vodka dosing, though I'm also adding MB7 and had this stuff in the tank before I was regularly dosing either the Vodka or MB7. Glad to hear it worked though! I might give it a try just to see what happens.

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"he recommends hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons of water daily" so i give that a shot "scared" i have a full blown sps reef, i dose 5ml per gallon on the first day... day 2 no change, so i do the recommended dose and wake up day 3 and the tank looks better....

Troylee, did you end up dosing the 1ml per 10 gal. I think you imply this but I want to be sure before I add this to my book of tricks.

I wonder if you can change it up for a maintenance dose say 1ml for every 20 gal.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read I did the whole algaefix thing and it was killing off my pods to much and starving my mandarins and delicate pipefish so I stopped that I wonder if this will kill the pod populations as well

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troylee, did you end up dosing the 1ml per 10 gal. I think you imply this but I want to be sure before I add this to my book of tricks.

I wonder if you can change it up for a maintenance dose say 1ml for every 20 gal.
Yes day 2 i went full dosage 1ml per 10gallons of water...
I'm thinking about a maintenance dose my self maybe 1ml per 100gal or something lol...

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read I did the whole algaefix thing and it was killing off my pods to much and starving my mandarins and delicate pipefish so I stopped that I wonder if this will kill the pod populations as well

This I don't know.... I didn't notice any decrease in pods from just checking stuff out.... I'll see if my partner has a definite answer for that...

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.... I didn't observe any changes in any corals color or polyp wise... I swear the third day i doses it my water was so crystal clear i couldn't believe it!!!! Looked like the first day I ever dosed vodka and mb7 it was just sparkling... And even dosing those I had to
Clean the glass at least every other day... With this h2o2 it's been close to a week and I barley have a film lol...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back