Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no this was the perfect time for you to post this and i hope it is a cure to. I now that my Zoa's hate this Dino if any Dino is on any Polyps they will not open up at all.

I have dipped all my frag discs with zoos to get rid of hair algae and it works wonders on the that for sure.. I actually filled a bowl with peroxide and held the frag in my hand where it was submerged just enough to cover the disc but the zoo was out in the air.... It only takes about 30 seconds to kill off the hair algae and your good to go...;)

bkss709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it sounds like i need to do the same thing thanks for that update this will help.

I have dipped all my frag discs with zoos to get rid of hair algae and it works wonders on the that for sure.. I actually filled a bowl with peroxide and held the frag in my hand where it was submerged just enough to cover the disc but the zoo was out in the air.... It only takes about 30 seconds to kill off the hair algae and your good to go...;)

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since H2O2 also kills bacteria, I guess it's a given that for those of us dosing Vodka/MB7 (or any other carbon/bacteria source), we will need to re-seed our systems after such a treatment. Also, with this in mind, it might not make sense to do maintenance doses of H2O2 as it will kill off our beneficial bacteria. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well could.... I wish there was more info out there on the subject...:( I quit dosing vodka and mb7 during the time of my out break and only dosed the major 3 cal/alk/mag and h2o2.... That's a good point I might re consider the maintenance thing...

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so i asked my biologist buddy for a little more info and asked if i wiped my bacteria out and if i was gonna have to re-seed the tank..... his reply was very interesting and is as follows....and a maintenance dose that i can use on the bottom...

"Actually, your bio-filter should be just fine since the h2o2 doesn't really penetrate, it just kills free swimmers like dinoflagellates, which for still unclear reasons are really unable to handle even safe levels of h2o2. The h2o2, it will also oxidize ammonia to nitrate, so its addition also actually reduces any ammonia spike.. Also it super saturates the water with oxygen, really good for tangs.

1ml per 50gal is a really safe dose. Max safe dose is 1ml per 10gallons."

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread... Gonna have to give this a try after I get rid of the red slime algae, red slime is almost all gone from dosing vodka.
So will try the hydrogen peroxide next, I have a little bit of bubble algae back from the days of racenrich that I have never been able to completely eradicate.
Justin's utube page mentions it also kills bubble algae so figure it's worth a shot

extremehobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started treating yesterday i have a fuge and so far i can notice a little decline in the dino and it looks like my macros are doing just fine

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what he is telling me it won't kill anything but the dinos in free swimming form lol.... it sounds promising and i hope this works for others as well as it did for me.... i hate those isolated incidents lol....

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm gonna do it tonight! hah! **** red slime! now all we need is something like this to kill marine ICH....:horse:

Last edited:

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tagging along to see if anyone has success w/this against bubble algae. Anyone used h2o2 with sensitive inverts?

Sent from my Droid because I'm bored at work!

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy,

So if I'm reading correctly, your buddy recommended 1ml per 10 gallons daily for one week?

How often did he recommend doing the maintenance dosage?

I don't have Dinos, but I do have Gelidium that rode in on some snails. Turbos are keeping it in check, but I want it gone. Vodka dosing got rid of all algae problems I had except for Gelidium. Wondering if this will help and want to give it a try.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy,

So if I'm reading correctly, your buddy recommended 1ml per 10 gallons daily for one week?

How often did he recommend doing the maintenance dosage?

I don't have Dinos, but I do have Gelidium that rode in on some snails. Turbos are keeping it in check, but I want it gone. Vodka dosing got rid of all algae problems I had except for Gelidium. Wondering if this will help and want to give it a try.

he didn't give me a time frame just told me to dose it untill my problem was gone which was 4 to 5 days in my case... i went 7 just as a precautionary, the maintence dose i would assume is daily also but not positive... i will have to check into that....
now i do still have a few patches of brown sand here and there but i always have and prolly always will, so i can live with that..... this outbreak i had was threatening to kill corals and plugged my overflow up a couple times.... it was really bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justins page seems to imply that it can aslo be used as a coral dip
Has anyone actually tried using it as a dip and/or would you still use the 1ml/10 gallon or is it a different ratio for dipping corals?
You would think it would make a great coral dip?

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dipped some zoas in it that wouldnt open up for a few weeks after doign furan 2 dips to treat zoa pox, dipped them in fairly have dose of h202 about 50/50 they opened right up after about 3 days and have looked they best they have since before the zoa pox

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justins page seems to imply that it can aslo be used as a coral dip
Has anyone actually tried using it as a dip and/or would you still use the 1ml/10 gallon or is it a different ratio for dipping corals?
You would think it would make a great coral dip?
I dip corals in it... I use a straight shot of h2o2 on plugs with algae and hold the coral out or I mix it 50/50 with tank water and place the whole coral in...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back