Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

Ricordea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started treating yesterday i have a fuge and so far i can notice a little decline in the dino and it looks like my macros are doing just fine

from what he is telling me it won't kill anything but the dinos in free swimming form lol.... it sounds promising and i hope this works for others as well as it did for me.... i hate those isolated incidents lol....
Now you got me confused,where he mentions "won't kill anything "but" the dinos in free swimming form.I thought this actually kill all types of algae?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a dip it will kill all sorts of algae.... Dosing a display tank I'm not sure what all it wipe out... I don't have any algae in my system just the dinos so I can't really be sure on any of that... It won't hurt to try since it's safe to dose...;)

lnbski3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did this affect your inverts? i have a blue linkia i have had almost 2 yrs and would hate to loose it.

mufret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about shrimp and the like? I'm thinking of doing this as well.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have shrimp so I can't give ya a definite answer but from what little exp. I have with it I would say no... Nothing in my tank was affected corals, fish, snails, stars etc.... Not one thing changed but my Dino problem....

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following along, I did a 1ml/per gal dose test on my 12 gal frag table yesterday morning, no ill-effect on any corals, nems, crabs, or snails.
All the little bits of red kelp are dying and turning bright orange, and the little bits of dino i saw are receading after one day.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1ml per gallon or 1ml per 10 gallons??? 1 ml per gallon is prolly to much... It's 1ml for every 10gallons of water..sorry I'm repeating this lol... I don't want someone to crash there system...:(

VIPReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew it could increase levels of oxygen in water, but never that it might kill dinos...pretty good info. Will do some testing in some customer's tanks first...LOL...will report here in this thread!

djfrankie

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No man, I didn't mis-read, I did a "TEST RUN", on a very small system, my thought was this;
If you can dip it in 50/50, why not 1/100? (or what ever the 1 ml per gal. ratio works out to)
The only ill-effect so far is a little brownig of a red planet frag, seasons greetings is ok, rainbow monti ok, rainbow lords, favias, zoas, palys, watermelon chalices, duncans, acan echinatas, xenia, and some very fresh cut baby yumas, all ok, in fact the LPS are all SUPER happy today.
I am not telling anybody else to do this, I just tried it to test some boundries. (I have a problem with authority)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No man, I didn't mis-read, I did a "TEST RUN", on a very small system, my thought was this;
If you can dip it in 50/50, why not 1/100? (or what ever the 1 ml per gal. ratio works out to)
The only ill-effect so far is a little brownig of a red planet frag, seasons greetings is ok, rainbow monti ok, rainbow lords, favias, zoas, palys, watermelon chalices, duncans, acan echinatas, xenia, and some very fresh cut baby yumas, all ok, in fact the LPS are all SUPER happy today.
I am not telling anybody else to do this, I just tried it to test some boundries. (I have a problem with authority)
lol.... that is testing the boundaries alright....you might wipe out your bacteria all together thou and need to re-seed the tank at such a high dosage.... dipping is np because we discard the water after use..... hmm please keep us updated...

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some hair algae on some of my Zoa frags do you know how long I should dip them for? I just put some in a bowl with a 50/50 ratio and its clearly killing it but its not coming off the frag plug yet after about 5 min. do I just dip it and put it back in the tank and let it die off in the tank or leave it in the dip until its completely gone?

extremehobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some hair algae on some of my Zoa frags do you know how long I should dip them for? I just put some in a bowl with a 50/50 ratio and its clearly killing it but its not coming off the frag plug yet after about 5 min. do I just dip it and put it back in the tank and let it die off in the tank or leave it in the dip until its completely gone?

just put it back in your tank after 5 min it dies off eventually you might have to do a second dip eventually

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.... that is testing the boundaries alright....you might wipe out your bacteria all together thou and need to re-seed the tank at such a high dosage.... dipping is np because we discard the water after use..... hmm please keep us updated...
Its a 12 gallon frag table, no sand, rock, or media, just flow. I would say there was not much bacteria to begin with, probably one of the reasons I was starting to see a dino issue, peroxide seems to have taken care of that, I am gonna invest in some seachem gel to soak up the nasty.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 12 gallon frag table, no sand, rock, or media, just flow. I would say there was not much bacteria to begin with, probably one of the reasons I was starting to see a dino issue, peroxide seems to have taken care of that, I am gonna invest in some seachem gel to soak up the nasty.
nice so it has worked for 2 of us...1smile1

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling Dinos in my 180 for about a month and nothing really seemed to get rid of them. I tried all the usual remedies....carbon, GFO, kalk, EcoBak, wet skimming, various new additions to CUC, and periodic 72 hr blackouts... all to no avail. After the blackouts, it would appear to be gone, but would be back the next day by the end of the light cycle. I started dosing the recommended 1ml per 10 gallons and after just 3 days, I seem to be dino free!! I also noticed that some of the hair algae that was growing in my frag tank (all plumbed into the same system) is starting to die off. I'm definitely planning to start a maintenance dose in my system. I'll post if I begin to notice any downfalls, but thus far I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed! Thanks for the tip Troylee!!!

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, for those of you about to do this, let's get some numbers during the treatment. I'm curious if the Peroxide has any effect on PO4. So test your PO4 level daily, and dose the 1ml per 10g recipe. Does your PO4 level drop as a result?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling Dinos in my 180 for about a month and nothing really seemed to get rid of them. I tried all the usual remedies....carbon, GFO, kalk, EcoBak, wet skimming, various new additions to CUC, and periodic 72 hr blackouts... all to no avail. After the blackouts, it would appear to be gone, but would be back the next day by the end of the light cycle. I started dosing the recommended 1ml per 10 gallons and after just 3 days, I seem to be dino free!! I also noticed that some of the hair algae that was growing in my frag tank (all plumbed into the same system) is starting to die off. I'm definitely planning to start a maintenance dose in my system. I'll post if I begin to notice any downfalls, but thus far I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed! Thanks for the tip Troylee!!!
Nice!!!!!!1smile1 see I'm good for something after all lol lol....;)

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, for those of you about to do this, let's get some numbers during the treatment. I'm curious if the Peroxide has any effect on PO4. So test your PO4 level daily, and dose the 1ml per 10g recipe. Does your PO4 level drop as a result?

Last Saturday my PO4 was 0.03 on my Hanna meter and I just tested it again at 0.01 after the three days dosing H2O2. I don't think they are necessarily correlated though, due to the use of GFO, a fuge, and EcoBak. I've always tested between undetectable and 0.05 and I had very little in the way of dinos in my tank at this point, but I wanted to knock them out before they got out of hand again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back