Dipping an Anemone

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you dip an anemone in coral dip? I specifically have Coral RX. My LFS has a nice rose BTA that I'd like to purchase, but it's attached to a small rock, and the tank has a flatworm problem. I don't want to remove the rock for risk of damaging the foot of the anemone, so I was hoping I could make sure they are all gone by dipping it.

If that won't work, do you have any other suggestions or ways to ensure the flatworms are all off of the rock?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Matt

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t dip nems. It’s too risky, and I’ve almost never seen a success story.

You might consider trying to detach it from the rock? I know that ice cubes have worked for me in the past when trying to get an RFA to release his foot. It seems an approach like this would be the safest bet.

stumblinras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a turkey baster to agitate the foot til it releases. A little time consuming but it works. Some use a powrer head directed at the foot also.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you got it and put it in a small tank with a power filter and hit it with some flatworm exit how that would work out. Treat it and leave it in the tank for a week while doing some decent waterchanges and monitoring to see if any flatworms survive the treatment.

Reefsupreme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
Once out of water should be easier to get off the rock. Also could use power head to blow right on the nem to get it unattached.

OP
OP
aquaman3680

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t dip nems. It’s too risky, and I’ve almost never seen a success story.

You might consider trying to detach it from the rock? I know that ice cubes have worked for me in the past when trying to get an RFA to release his foot. It seems an approach like this would be the safest bet.
I appreciate it, I may have to give that a try

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would set up a small tank to house the nem and rock in and then place a pvc fitting over the nem so it has to travel up the fitting for light. Takes a few days sometimes but it worked for me. I have seen others take a sponge and cut a hole in it the size of the OD of the fitting and place it over the new some the sponge cushions the nem from the fitting

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hopefully it helps! You can also put a spoon in the freezer for a while and use that.

If that doesn’t work, you can get a small container with some salt water and “suspend” the rock over the container (its super easy if the rock is a bit bigger than the container, just rest it on top). Eventually the nem will detach and crawl down into the water. This has worked for me in the past, but I prefer to use the ice/spoon method first!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a sticky in the top of the anemone forum for removing them. Just use that method. My best advice would be to purchase from a local reefer instead though.

OP
OP
aquaman3680

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you got it and put it in a small tank with a power filter and hit it with some flatworm exit how that would work out. Treat it and leave it in the tank for a week while doing some decent waterchanges and monitoring to see if any flatworms survive the treatment.
I think I may try to get it off using the turkey baster method, and if that doesn't work, I may go the small tank route to temporarily hold it to try to get it to move off. I would think the flatworm exit would be super toxic in a small system for the anemone. I've used it before back when we had much larger systems, and even then it took a bit for the system to recover. Maybe they've improved it though as that was years ago. Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
aquaman3680

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a sticky in the top of the anemone forum for removing them. Just use that method. My best advice would be to purchase from a local reefer instead though.
I hadn't seen that, I'll take a look. Thanks. We live in a very small town near the Lake of the Ozarks and I haven't found anyone else with reef tanks within 3 hours of here. The two major cities are Kansas City and St. Louis, and both are 3 hours away and seems to be where the majority of people are with reef tanks.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't seen that, I'll take a look. Thanks. We live in a very small town near the Lake of the Ozarks and I haven't found anyone else with reef tanks within 3 hours of here. The two major cities are Kansas City and St. Louis, and both are 3 hours away and seems to be where the majority of people are with reef tanks.
I would still search Facebook groups or check the selling forum on here. Reefers are good people. My guess is you'll be able to find someone selling anemone that are cheaper, healthier and larger than any LFS or online sale. Just offer extra for gas money and meet them half way. You'd be surprised how generous our community can be.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a quick search on the Facebook and there's a missouri/Illinois group on there for reefing. Worth a look

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my first rose bubble tip from my LFS. Was $80 for a 1 or 2" bta. Last one I bought from a local guy was a 10" rainbow for $50.

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold the rock upside down over a container of rain k water. Let the nem just detach itself. Problem solved.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back