Discrepancy in ATI ICP vs Home test

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this even possible?
I have a discrepancy that I'm trying to wrap my head around. I did an ATI ICP and got my results back. It says my salinity is 45.69 psu. My IceCap digital, calibrated with 35ppt, reads my SpG at 1.022
My fish are fine, my soft corals and some acans, candycane are fine. Why would there be such a difference?
And how should I correct it?

Screenshot_20210307-131917_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210307-131926_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210307-131937_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210307-131943_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any other testing device? I bought a Misco after I had this same problem with a triton test and found my Hanna tester was off and triton was spot on. Can even take a sample to an LFS to double check before adjusting slowly

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any other testing device? I bought a Misco after I had this same problem with a triton test and found my Hanna tester was off and triton was spot on. Can even take a sample to an LFS to double check before adjusting slowly
I agree I’d try to recalibrate or use a different testing method. They may have had a mix up at the lab which I’d say is extremely, very unlikely but if you test on other accounts and it still says 1.022 then I’d contact them and ask some questions. That difference is too far to be an inaccuracy.

OP
OP
arussellnsg

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have another device. I thought of getting another one. I could take it to LFS, you're right. I also thought of doing another ICP. Triton I think is my other best option.
I'm just stumped, what will happen or what should I be looking for with that high of Salinity?
I can't find a good answer to that.
And also, with the ATI ICP, would the temperature of my samples be a variable I should account for? I keep my reef at 77 F

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have another device. I thought of getting another one. I could take it to LFS, you're right. I also thought of doing another ICP. Triton I think is my other best option.
I'm just stumped, what will happen or what should I be looking for with that high of Salinity?
I can't find a good answer to that.
And also, with the ATI ICP, would the temperature of my samples be a variable I should account for? I keep my reef at 77 F
Corals adapt to consistency, even if the parameters aren’t the best. I wouldn’t do anything until you can validate it especially if everything looks healthy

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IceCap or the calibration solution can be off. I'd recommend a Tropic Marin High Precision hydrometer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back