DIY 30x30x18 rimless cube!!!!

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the belly up statement refered to a build that didn't get completed lol....
Heh. You sound like me, over the years I've had quite a few different custom builds that never went very far. One system was a 5' x 2' system that never saw saltwater. Gosh, this was probably back in 2001 when I was at Harbor Aquatics full time. I had it setup outside of our greenhouse freshwater testing a custom sinusoidal wavemaker on it and a customer came up and offered to buy the system from me at a price I couldn't resist. Drained it and off he went with it that day and I moved onto other ideas in my head.

Last year though, I bought a 24x24x16 tank and finally going to set that up here... just a tad smaller than your new project.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the belly up statement refered to a build that didn't get completed lol.... I still have my current 220 just the Eco friendly 180 will not be made just to big and expensive.... Tired of being married to those big tanks I want a small cube that's set and forget...1smile1

Is there a thread for the 220? I always see you buyin but never any pics!

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the marineland cube and I love it. 5500 gph turnover and everything is a rockin. wish it was acrylic so I could add a closed loop though. Maybe next tank
Are you going to dose or use a calcium reactor?

Mine started turn key but had alot of tinkering to get it to where it is today. My personality doesn't allow me to just sit back. Maybe one day

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice choice in tanks - cubes are great, you'll love all the scaping possibilities they create

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words... Yes I will be building it out of 1" thick acrylic... Dosing will be done via a bubble magnus dosing pump.... Just finished all my other projects it's my turn to shine!!!! Haha...

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha TL's doing it again my last build went belly up so I'm down grading and this is my final tank best if the best only....;) this is gonna be a cleAn kiss system no powerheads etc.... I got my mini dart for a closed loop that will provide all the necessary flow "hopefully" lighting still pending but most likely diy LEDs loving them on my current tank!!! Umm ordered all my Marco rocks and cement for the aquascape, stand will be steel with cherry wood skinned over the top of it... Ummm still a little planning but this is gonna be hottest tank yet!!!!:) my first cube!!!! Haha...

I like the kiss method,no doubt this is gonna be an awesome build as with all your builds,but forgive me for doubting it will be your last.....you have an addiction to DIY tank building Troy......and if I could do what you do,I've be the same way LOL

following along :D

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a messy update!!!! Hahahahah got substrate, bulkheads, salt, rocks, mortor, pumps and a stand....1smile1 just gotta slap the tank together....
c9d72e0e.jpg

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like I need to finish my stand it's been 1.5 yrs now get to busy looking at my tank and lose motivation

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like I need to finish my stand it's been 1.5 yrs now get to busy looking at my tank and lose motivation
Haha!!!!! I so totally know what you mean out of all 20 tanks I have had this is the first complete stand normally it's just a metal stand I never get skinned..:cry: I bought everything to make a stand for this but found that one at a great deal couldn't pass it up!!!!

five O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sure looks a lot like Murdoc's old stand. Cant wait to see it finished. Good luck Lee

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there going to be a ton of pictures of the actual building process of this sweet tank this time?!?!?!?! very nice build troy!

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good Lee. Just got home to see my little cube plugging along. All 4 of my corals are doing well. Might have to take you up on some corals.... :) The tank is sad seeing it all bare.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant wait to see this bad boy when its done. the bbq part dont sound bad either.. lol
exactly where it's coming from Matt..... Btw welcome to r2r good to have ya here Matt....1smile1
That sure looks a lot like Murdoc's old stand. Cant wait to see it finished. Good luck Lee

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back